Larger Power bar / Power center

DJMCB35

Community Member
View Badges
Joined
May 2, 2020
Messages
53
Reaction score
83
Location
Cobourg, Ontario
What state or country do you live in
Canada
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hopefully I can “plug in” to someone’s experience with these.

I’m looking for a power strip to replace my current power center. What I’m running now has 10 outlets, each with an individual switch, so I can shut off pieces of equipment individually. It’s intended for DJ work and is very convenient, except for taking up a lot of cabinet space and only having the 10 outlets.

What I’d like to find would be a sleeker power strip, with surge protection (wall outlet is GFCI) and upwards of 10 outlets. I currently power my 500W heater directly from the wall plug (power center runs off of the other receptacle) because I’ve read that a larger heater’s energy demands quickly burns out outlets in power strips and power centres. So just getting 2 power strips and running them from the wall plug isn’t an option, unless people have had success over time running 500W and larger straight from a power bar.
39E9848A-04D3-40E0-B701-A6D15F94468D.jpeg


I’m not sure there’s such a thing as what I’m looking for but thought I’d ask. Thanks in advance.
 
Interested as well so following.
 
Alternatively, as I’m not seeing many alternatives myself or in the way of suggestions, are there folks who’ve had longer term success running higher wattage heaters (500W and greater) off of a power bar or power center?

Again, the reason I don’t run mine from my existing power center is that I’ve read that the regular on/off cycling of more powerful heaters burns out the circuits in power bars. I do have my heater controlled by an InkBird unit.
 
I think it has to do with the amps of your heater and whether your power bar can handle it. I found this here. https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/power-strip-and-multiple-heaters-question.323340/. Read the original post and then reply #2. There could be more info later on but I just started reading it. I'm just starting to get into the inner workings of electricity so am a noob on this subject. I keep seeing a brand "Energy Bar" come up in more than a few different forum posts while looking into this so maybe it's an option. To be honest I didn't even think of this as a possible problem before seeing this thread. I look forward to others chiming in.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT DOES YOUR REEFING AREA LOOK LIKE BETWEEN MAINTENANCE SESSIONS?

  • Clean and tidy—everything gets put away

    Votes: 11 44.0%
  • Mostly cleaned up, but a few tools stay out

    Votes: 7 28.0%
  • Organized chaos—I know where everything is

    Votes: 4 16.0%
  • Enter at your own risk! Buckets, hoses, and towels are basically permanent fixtures

    Votes: 1 4.0%
  • It depends on where I am in the maintenance cycle...

    Votes: 1 4.0%
  • The tsunami hit. Hard.

    Votes: 1 4.0%
  • A different take... (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new