Largest Cost Saving Shortcuts

wesman42

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In this hobby, shortcuts typically equate to disaster. However, there are always ideas on how to cut costs and save in areas where people don't typically think it's possible.

Being a university student has me always looking for deals or DIY ways to save money.

So, what's the best way that YOU have found to cut costs on overpriced products or even just simple substitutions?

Mine has to have been making a sump using glass baffles. I know this is pretty common but it saved me around $200.

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
built my own controller, saved at least 1-1.5K USD for me (i have three tanks). Also saved a lot on frags, I tend to not buy them from LFS any more, and instead build rapport with local reefers, most had to frag their colonies anyway due to growth, so I just line up for some free frag.

Retro Reefer

Slow and steady wins the race!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im setting up a new tank on a tight budget and have saved myself hundreds if not thousands of dollars just from careful planning and watching for sales, discounts and some DYI projects.. take your time, research each piece of equipment and weigh all your options for example you can spend $500-$1000 on that fancy rimless 40 gallon tank or wait for the dollar per gallon sale at petco and get yourself a 40 for $50 out the door.. I snagged a sweet DC skimmer on eBay for like $130 basically less than half price so there are plenty of deals out there. Check out my build thread for examples of how I saved big time

RichtheReefer21

Scrap Yard Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So far I have built my own HOB chaeto fuge saving about around 100bucks. The thread is in the DIY forum.

I'm also on the verge of installing a DIY floating canopy/wall mount for my lighting across a 6foot tank. Total cost was $81. Saving hundreds. That thread is in DIY forums as well.

Next is converting my 55g 48x12x18 into a baffled DIY sump which will save a few hundred more when I am done.

I also got lucky and picked up the 125g tank and stand for free by being patient and searching Craig's list and facebook market place ads. It cost me about 55 bucks in materials to refinish the steel stand and bring the tank back to life after 8 years open in a barn being used as a gas can storage shelf. LoL

Last edited:

Hitman

Reefing One Day @ A Time!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve built my own stand, canopy, sump, refugium, etc and I bet I e saved over $3,000 from what the lfs wanted to sell me. I’m 6’2 and all the stands seem to only be 30” tall. No way did I want to bend over to look in my tank to enjoy it so I built one 40” tall. I have a step stool for the kids and wife to stand on lol.

mcarroll

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Stick with natural, tried and true - avoid trends.

Most tanks you see try to do and have "everything". Try to be focused in some way while the budget is tight.

Do DIY where possible, according to your skills.

Buy used where possible, according to your patience levels. ;)

AlexG

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I built my system from the ground up and beyond the challenge of building my own system the cost savings was a big motivation. I built the tanks, stands, skimmer, heating system, sump stands, needle wheel impellers for my skimmer, light racks, tops for the sumps. Another cost saving idea came from designing my skimmer to be gravity fed from the overflow drains rather than requiring a separate feed pump.

Engloid

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You will see a lot of posts about how "expensive" an apex system is... but having the ability to know how much electricity each accessory uses, and turn it off and on as needed can save more money than the cost of the apex. For example...I have a 55g drum I mix saltwater in. I don't like stagnant water, so I used to run a mag9 pump in it 24/7. With the apex, I now am able to run it about 5 mins every 4hrs. It's plenty enough to keep any mold or other growth from happening, but saves 98% of the electricity I used to use on that powerhead.

U

User1

View Badges
Lights. LED shrink wrap (over the counter) say for Gen 4 single unit 650'ish. Mounting 100'ish. Defuse thing close to 50 - 100 bucks. Now size of tank x number of units = $$$$.

DIY LED system order of magnitude cheaper. Spend rest of money saved by higher quality pumps and/or flow. Can also buy used some things when people upgrade.

TexasTodd

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Used systems by far. But, you have to be patient and move quickly when you know it's a deal.
I've purchased many over the years. Latest one was a 150g, 2 years old, guy put about $8k into it retail. I got it for $1400. It had lots of fish and corals. ONE coral in it, fragged up, was worth $2k. Plus lots of other lower end corals that LFS love because they sell lots of $20-40 frags.

Tip, search Fish Tank, not just aquarium in Craigslist.

Engloid

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I overlooked lighting, which is really the #1 largest way you can save money. I used to run metal halides (three 150w bulbs). They put out a LOT of heat. That heat transfers into the water, and in the summer you may have to spend more money to help cool that water back down. Even if that's not a problem, even more heat is put into your room, and your home HVAC has to then cool it back down. It's literally spending money to make heat, then spending money to fight it. Swapping to LED is MUCH more energy efficient. It produces much less heat, and therefore less heat is put into your water, and the room.

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 24 29.6%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 18 22.2%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 21 25.9%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 18 22.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back