Largest tank possible?

HomeSlizzice

Wrasse/Angelfish nut!
View Badges
Joined
Jul 12, 2010
Messages
475
Reaction score
247
Location
OC
What state or country do you live in
California
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am going to be moving soon, and it looks like I'll be going to be on the 2nd or 3rd story of an apartment complex. I know it truly depends on how the building is built, and what the apartment complex says. But what do you guys think is the largest aquarium I could get for the apartment? I know its super vague, but what is the largest you would try? 40 gallon? 50? 90? 120? Or maybe a 4ftX3ftX12in frag tank used as a shallow display. I wanna see if I can start the planning stages now. Thanks guys. :)
 
HomeSlizzice said:
I am going to be moving soon, and it looks like I'll be going to be on the 2nd or 3rd story of an apartment complex. I know it truly depends on how the building is built, and what the apartment complex says. But what do you guys think is the largest aquarium I could get for the apartment? I know its super vague, but what is the largest you would try? 40 gallon? 50? 90? 120? Or maybe a 4ftX3ftX12in frag tank used as a shallow display. I wanna see if I can start the planning stages now. Thanks guys. :)

I live on the 3rd floor and have a 45g cube with 20g sump. I'd say I'm about maxed out on size and weight. It's hard to say though without having an engineer do the math for you.
 
I am on the second floor with a 72g which I am running sumpless. I was able to figure which way the floor joist run with having a basement in this place and I also placed my tank onto a weight bearing wall.
 
Thanks guys! Like I said, I'm just trying to get an idea of what will be possible. I will check with the apartment complex when I am moving. It looks like I'll be able to do something fairly large. I've only had a 24 gallon aquapod as my tank, and I've had it for 6 years now. I want something bigger desperately. I want something at least large enough for like a Regal and/or Majestic Angel, and a nice tang or two. I tired of looking at fish I want, but can't have haha. Hence the 4ftx3ftx12in frag tank idea. But I also like wrasses a lot, they are one of my favorite families of fish. So a shallow open top tank is not the best tank for them. I'm thinking a custom 48inX30inX18in aquarium would be perfect, and its about 112 gallons which might be doable.
 
im on the second story and have a 120 gallon but its a long a load barring wall.
 
I had a 180g in my apartment for a while, main level w/ basement underneath so it wasn't any different then a house really .... never had an issue, took it down after about 5 months when we bought our house.
 
I had a 75G in 2 different 3rd floor apartments. Make sure it is on a common wall or an outside wall as they are typically load bearing.

You may need to get a separate insurance to cover water damages to convince them to allow a larger tank, or at some places any tank. They let me at my last place due to my insurance wiaver. My first one... we just didn't tell them about it ;)
 
I had a 225 over a "floating floor", one side was against a load bearing something it was stable, but when you walked around the other side the whole tank shook it was sketchy. I currently have a 65 + 15 gallon frag tank in the same spot no issues.
 
I had a 75G in 2 different 3rd floor apartments. Make sure it is on a common wall or an outside wall as they are typically load bearing.

You may need to get a separate insurance to cover water damages to convince them to allow a larger tank, or at some places any tank. They let me at my last place due to my insurance wiaver. My first one... we just didn't tell them about it ;)

Haha thanks for the info. That's pretty basic for figuring out which is load bearing. A outside or common wall. Thanks man.

I had a 225 over a "floating floor", one side was against a load bearing something it was stable, but when you walked around the other side the whole tank shook it was sketchy. I currently have a 65 + 15 gallon frag tank in the same spot no issues.

Ya 225 I can see as being too much. I think I should be able to get away with something between the 75-120 range though. Thanks!
 
I have a 90g with a 30g sump in my 2nd floor apartment. I used a stud finder to locate which direction the floor trusses went and put it next to a "common wall" with the tank perpendicular to the trusses. I had to pay a pet deposit to have my tank in there.
 
A stud finder is a great idea, plus they aren't too expensive which is always a plus. To me its looking like a very real possibility that I will be able to have a fairly large tank.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHICH TYPE OF REEF CONTENT MOST OFTEN GETS YOU TO PARTICIPATE?

  • Daniel's daily polls. They're awesome! 😎

    Votes: 7 38.9%
  • A real troubleshooting problem

    Votes: 6 33.3%
  • Build-thread or tank-update posts

    Votes: 4 22.2%
  • Before-and-after progress photos

    Votes: 3 16.7%
  • Beginner questions

    Votes: 3 16.7%
  • Honest success or failure stories

    Votes: 4 22.2%
  • A post, update, or article from my favorite vendor

    Votes: 5 27.8%
  • Detailed how-to or educational discussions

    Votes: 8 44.4%
  • Tank tours and member showcases

    Votes: 5 27.8%
  • Local events, swaps, or meetups

    Votes: 4 22.2%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 3 16.7%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new