"Laser Etched Logo"

IKD

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I personally bought two Red Sea tanks because I noticed the logo on the water box. That was $15000 that the company didn’t get because they would rather do crappy advertisement. If I’m paying for a fish tank with ultra clear glass I want the glass ultra clear. The logo on the Red Sea stand pops off very easily with a butter knife. Doesn’t leave any glue or anything behind. Even with the logo on, it doesn’t look bad.

I agree with the side that the logo doesn’t need to be on the glass. Etch it into the overflow. I can’t believe there are owners who would prefer the etched logo over a clean view. Why would you want anything obstructing your view?

I would personally include the logo as a window sticker. It wouldn’t end up on the display tank but I guarantee you I would put it on my sump.
Just curious, the only reason you picked a RS was based on a WB logo? There were really no other factors or considerations that influenced your decision in any way between these two tanks?

Matt1997

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
0   0   1
Just curious, the only reason you picked a RS was based on a WB logo? There were really no other factors or considerations that influenced your decision in any way between these two tanks?
Other than the logo the tanks are near identical. Stands look the same, sumps are very similar. A major determining factor was the ugly logo etched onto the glass. Red Sea has better distribution to my area as well. Not saying I couldn’t have gotten a waterbox, I just wouldn’t want one.

IKD

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Other than the logo the tanks are near identical. Stands look the same, sumps are very similar. A major determining factor was the ugly logo etched onto the glass. Red Sea has better distribution to my area as well. Not saying I couldn’t have gotten a waterbox, I just wouldn’t want one.
Thanks for the reply. I don’t own either but I thought they differed in overflow, plumbing and sump layout, and possibly stand material? I though the tank dimensions in RS were a little narrower In depth but it’s been a while since I looked so newer models could be more identical. I saw this video recently too If it helps anyone (doesn’t get to talking about the tanks before minute 4 or so)

Olefreebe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Guys, Richard here. We do understand that some* customers prefer not to have our logo etched into the glass. However this is something most Waterbox owners are proud of, and we have done it since day 1.

We make sure that the logo is above the water line so it's not obtrusive at all.

Also wanted to note that Waterbox is a USA company, while we do not manufacture here you are still supporting american jobs and we appreciate that!

Hope that helps!

-Rich
I love my Waterbox Aquarium.
The craftsmanship is amazing. My interaction with the company was a great experience through the entire purchasing process.
If someone notices the etching while I am proudly showing off my aquarium I always bring up the fact that I would love to do business with the company again and that's who I would recommend. If they do not notice the waterbox etching I usually draw their attention to it and bring up the brand of my tank.
I personally believe that if you're willing to put your brand on the front of the tank you stand behind what you put your name on and as a consumer that means a lot. After interactions with your company I know that is to be true. Keep up the good work.

Last edited:

Sisterlimonpot

Effortless Perfection
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yeah, but your car, or your coffee pot isn’t a viewing screen and the TV’s logo isn’t on the screen itself. Imagine if Sony put a watermark on the upper left portion of the screen? Lol remember the old plasma tv’s and the burned in logos issue? People weren’t too happy!

your car doesn’t engrave their logo into the viewing window (aka windshield).

imagine if the windows on your home had the companies logo engraved into them? Would that be a deal breaker for you?

If you can understand why people don’t want “burn-in” images on TV’s, or watermarks on their home windows, or watermarks on their windshields, then you can understand why a watermark on a fish tank is important to some people.

This hobby is aesthetics, so aesthetics matter.
Let me understand, it's not so much that you mind advertising, it's that you don't like an inconspicuous etching on the glass? You're ok with purchasing anything whether it be a car, kitchen appliances, t-shirts as long as their logo is in a spot you agree with? In other words, you dont mind being a sell out as long as the logo is somewhere you approve.

I can't understand why an etching gets you spun up but the emblem on your vehicle doesnt. I'm quite certain that most home windows have an etching in a corner, all windshield has an AS-1etching right above my line of sight, TV shows use the bottom of the screen to advertise during the show, the station logo fades in and out all the time. How many people have conditioned themselves to completely ignore that stuff? Just as you will with a tiny etching out of view of the inside of the tank.

Placement of an etching on Waterbox product is not for you to decide, and I doubt you're going to force them to rethink that with this with a thread.

You can choose not to purchase because of it, and start a thread to get support for your cause. But rabble rousing only goes so far.

You're not going to change minds. Just like I can't insist that any company remove their logo because I don't want to advertise for them for free.

In all actuality this thread is free advertising for Waterbox. Welcome to the game.

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Let me understand, it's not so much that you mind advertising, it's that you don't like an inconspicuous etching on the glass? You're ok with purchasing anything whether it be a car, kitchen appliances, t-shirts as long as their logo is in a spot you agree with? In other words, you dont mind being a sell out as long as the logo is somewhere you approve.

I can't understand why an etching gets you spun up but the emblem on your vehicle doesnt. I'm quite certain that most home windows have an etching in a corner, all windshield has an AS-1etching right above my line of sight, TV shows use the bottom of the screen to advertise during the show, the station logo fades in and out all the time. How many people have conditioned themselves to completely ignore that stuff? Just as you will with a tiny etching out of view of the inside of the tank.

Placement of an etching on Waterbox product is not for you to decide, and I doubt you're going to force them to rethink that with this with a thread.

You can choose not to purchase because of it, and start a thread to get support for your cause. But rabble rousing only goes so far.

You're not going to change minds. Just like I can't insist that any company remove their logo because I don't want to advertise for them for free.

In all actuality this thread is free advertising for Waterbox. Welcome to the game.

Dislike of branding is not some new idea or something relegated to the aquarium industry. Plenty of people dislike branding. Cars and aquariums are a false equivalence. Most people view cars in a utilitarian manner, not as works of art. For car collectors, branding matters, however. When I start viewing my blender as a work of art, I'll probably prefer no branding. T-shirts? Aesthetics and branding absolutely matter.

Accepting branding where it makes sense does not mean you are a sell out. That's just ridiculous.

Perhaps you don't consider your tank a work of art, but many do. I doubt you would want Sotheby's branding on the frame of the Banksy you just purchased.

Obviously the intent of this thread was not to get WB to change it's practice. But it's a fine discussion for a reefing hobby forum.

PilotOfSubmarines

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   1   0
I never noticed it. Having said that, if you ever plan to upgrade and sell your aquarium it is proof genuine Waterbox.
I only see it when I'm cleaning the glass up there. If I didn't personally clean the glass and just viewed the tank, I would have never known it was even there (It's above the waterline and virtually invisible).

Sisterlimonpot

Effortless Perfection
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dislike of branding is not some new idea or something relegated to the aquarium industry. Plenty of people dislike branding. Cars and aquariums are a false equivalence. Most people view cars in a utilitarian manner, not as works of art. For car collectors, branding matters, however. When I start viewing my blender as a work of art, I'll probably prefer no branding. T-shirts? Aesthetics and branding absolutely matter.

Accepting branding where it makes sense does not mean you are a sell out. That's just ridiculous.

Perhaps you don't consider your tank a work of art, but many do. I doubt you would want Sotheby's branding on the frame of the Banksy you just purchased.

Obviously the intent of this thread was not to get WB to change it's practice. But it's a fine discussion for a reefing hobby forum.
My intention wasn't to draw direct connection but to say advertising is everywhere. Your take on this thread is completely different than mine, i view at as this embodiment of entitlement, "I'm not going to purchase your product unless you remove the etching! Who's with me?".

If the OP were to consider his tank a works of art, I'd imagine he'd prefer a small etching on the glass over a big label prominently displayed for everyone to see.

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My intention wasn't to draw direct connection but to say advertising is everywhere. Your take on this thread is completely different than mine, i view at as this embodiment of entitlement, "I'm not going to purchase your product unless you remove the etching! Who's with me?".

If the OP were to consider his tank a works of art, I'd imagine he'd prefer a small etching on the glass over a big label prominently displayed for everyone to see.

Perhaps your take is right. It had been awhile since I read the original post, but there's been good, honest debate since.

OP
OP
T

TexanReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I started the thread to see if Waterbox made aquariums without their logo etched into the front panel of glass, because it is the only thing preventing me from purchasing their aquarium.

As for the rest of this, its more of just defending my viewpoint? People asked why I care about the physical appearance of aquarium glass, and I explained why, its art.

As for why I don't care about clothing brands, or cars. It's more along the lines of that I don't really care about brands period, aside from the quality of their product. I don't care to "brag" about brands to my friends or see it as some status symbol, I just want a well made tank that looks good, and to me, having a logo etched into the glass doesn't look good. As far as branding elsewhere, I purchased my Honda because of its built quality and reliability, not so that I can "brag" to other people about my car's brand. The fact that they plaster "Honda" all over it, doesn't bother me because its not a piece of art, but if they sold a version of their car that didn't have any logos, I would happily buy that one. Fashion is the same thing, I'm just your regular guy, so I don't really care to spend $70 on a T-shirt just because it has a little logo on it, lol, its not for me.

I don't know what to tell you, its pretty obvious the reason why I don't want a logo in the viewing panel of a piece of art. Red Sea's logo on their stand is easily removable, and because they don't etch their glass, they have my business.

It seems a few people in this thread alone chose not to purchase Waterbox simply because they don't like the etching, which proves my point that they are losing customers.

I will leave you with this. I HIGHLY doubt anyone is purchasing Waterbox simply because it has an etched logo, but I guarantee you that there are people who aren't because it does.

Olefreebe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn't say I bought it because of the etching. I did see on their website before I I purchased the waterbox that it was displayed as one of the features. I'm not sure if I would consider it a feature but hey it looks cool.
as far as the whole debate about the aquarium being a piece of art, that's cool and all but don't think that fine art doesn't have some chicken scratch signature in the corner somewhere also.

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
An artist's signature on the painting can change it's value immensely. If the Waterbox etching ever provides that kind of value for the tank down the road, then it's presence would be completely justified and universally accepted, I think. Personally, the etching wouldn't scare me away from purchasing one, but if there were two identical tanks one with branding on the front and one without, I would choose the latter no question.

I think a logo on the stand instead of the tank itself might provide the same function without affecting the form.

Arabyps

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
could someone be so kind and share a picture of their water box tank with the logo?
Here you go... I actually never noticed the logo. If the lights are on, it is almost impossible to see. The tank is a Waterbox 5526 Peninsula. The logo is on the end opposite the overflow. I very much enjoy knowing I purchased a genuine Waterbox. As for the Waterbox customer service, second to none. Great company.

Lid.jpg Lights Off small 2.jpg Lights on small.jpg Aquarium 2.jpg

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 98 88.3%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 5.4%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 4 3.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.7%
Back