Lawnmower blenny fast breathing.

  • Thread starter Thread starter Tempo
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

Tempo

New Member
View Badges
Joined
Nov 11, 2020
Messages
3
Reaction score
1
Location
New Zealand
What state or country do you live in
Other International
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is this guy ok?

He's been in my tank for 7 days now, initially I was worried about him eating enough, I have definitely seen him chop at various things and yesterday he actually caught some of my liquid food out of the air on it's way down, I have yet to see his belly bulge like some of the photos though.

I thought that he was having a low oxygen issue in my tank because he was tipping on his side and since making the changes to the powerhead he seems to have perked up a little bit but still breathing very fast with his mouth hanging open like in the video.

I'm new and quite stressed about him, does anyone else have some advice?
 

Attachments

  • PXL_20201113_041953971.mp4
    27.1 MB
He seems fine to me. Frankly, he's breathing slower than my lawnmower does. So long as he's eating, don't stress.
 
lawnmowers and molly millers always look like they're panting... seems fine IMO
 
Because it was a 10 second clip, I was able to get a rate on it - 20 gill beats in ten seconds = 120 per minute. That's about 20 BPM higher than I would like to see in a blenny like this, but not up into the "diseased" range. Of course, respiration is tied into water temperature as well. Is your tank below 26 C.? If it is near or above that, I would say 120 BPM is normal. If you tank is running more like 24 C., then it might be a bit fast.

If you don't have a lot of algae in your tank, feeding these guys can be a bit of a challenge. Have you tried attaching strips of dried Nori to the rocks as a supplement?

Jay
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT DOES YOUR REEFING AREA LOOK LIKE BETWEEN MAINTENANCE SESSIONS?

  • Clean and tidy—everything gets put away

    Votes: 8 44.4%
  • Mostly cleaned up, but a few tools stay out

    Votes: 4 22.2%
  • Organized chaos—I know where everything is

    Votes: 3 16.7%
  • Enter at your own risk! Buckets, hoses, and towels are basically permanent fixtures

    Votes: 1 5.6%
  • It depends on where I am in the maintenance cycle...

    Votes: 1 5.6%
  • The tsunami hit. Hard.

    Votes: 1 5.6%
  • A different take... (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%

New Posts

Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new