Lawnmower Blenny hangs out on my Wavemaker all day

craiginphoenix

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I got a lawnmower blenny about 2 weeks ago and then about a week ago I added a neon dottyback. Since adding the dottyback, the lawnmower blenny goes and sits on the wavemaker during the day. The first time he did it, I thought he was dying because he was sprawled across it like he was stuck to it dying. But then at about 4PM, he heads back down to the rocks and starts munching on algae like he clocked out working his wavemaker shift or something.

Pretty much every day this is like clockwork.

Wondering if this is okay? Just another comical lawnmower blenny anecdote? Is there something I need to do if it's not okay? I have several caves and things for them to hide in, and after he finishes eating some algae he heads into the rocks to blend in the rest of the night.

The dottyback frankly doesn't give him the time of day. I have never seen the 2 fish even interact, and while I have heard of dottybacks being aggressive, I was worried about it eating my cleaner shrimp and my shrimp chases the dottyback around the tank instead so I feel like he is timid.

Thoughts?
IMG_2904.jpeg

OP
OP
C

craiginphoenix

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My lawnmower lays around on all sorts of stuff. They have some funny behaviors.
Thanks for the reply! I have heard of their behavior (one of the reasons I got it!). It was just weird to me that he always goes to the same wavemaker every day and sits up there most of the day and that it coincided with adding the dottyback to the tank.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 45 21.5%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 72 34.4%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 69 33.0%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 19 9.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 1.9%
Back