Lawnmower Blenny is a Machine lol

KevPool

Blue-Collar Reefing
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I just gotta say this my lawnmower blenny is a machine lol. His first couple hours in the tank and he's cleaned so much from the tank I love this little dood.
PXL_20210123_202339337.MP.jpg

He's even made a home inside the barnacles lol.

olonmv

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great name. We ended up calling ours George lol.
He was the last we named......superstition is a B......seemed like when we gave them names they’d die lol. So naming them stopped. I’ve had 3 deaths. One was bullied to death one is still a mystery and we’re convinced that one hated the name my wife gave it so much it offed itself (somehow got trapped in rockwork). George is always a great name!!!!

olonmv

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A Lawnmower blenny is a must in my aquarium, they do such a great job at keeping
Things clean. They can get a little aggressive though.
+1 for sure on the ****** behavior, if mine catches my yellow watchman outta his cave he gives chase.

ReeferGuyAlexK

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My Lawnmower (Gilbert) has so much character. One can stare at them all day long. Mine liked algae but definitely changed his appetite towards frozen foods and pellets, I mean who wouldn't. Still eats his algae but not liked he used to. Lazy litre dude these days. So fat and round these days its beautiful and hilarious. Definitely a must have "fish" in the tank.

Here as a pic about a month ago. Definitely double in tummy size now.
IMG_20210124_000245.jpg

OP
OP
KevPool

KevPool

Blue-Collar Reefing
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, can a lawnmower blenny live in a 5.5 gallon tank? Thanks!
No I am afraid not, they grow to about 5" and should have a min of 30 gal. There are some great videos on pico/nano fish on YouTube. In my 5 gal I have a Neon Goby he is happy as pie but they stay quiet small. If your looking for a workhorse to help with cleanup you may be limited to inverts.

hikermike

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a lawnmower goby, an engineer goby, 3 chromis, a clown and a yellow clown goby in a 6 gal nano tank for 2 years before I moved up to a 29 gal tank. They all did fine. Used an HOB filter and an Undergravel filter on 1/2 of the tank. (Cycles the tank in about 3 days) . Used live sand and a live rock (Mixed feeling...fought aiptasia until I found a couple of peppermint shrimp). Just go slowly so your tank can adapt in time and do a water change weekly. (Remember, only 1 gal is a little more than 20% considering sand and rock work).. The corals grew very well but remember to feed and add supplements carefully cuz things get depleted quickly in that small a tank. Please remember...GO SLOWLY AND TEST FREQUENTLY! In spite of the naysayers it can be done. Just think of the fish. The LFS had a tomato clown for more than 4 months. Always stayed in the upper right rear corner and never moved. They then lowered the price to $10. After another month it was still there! I thought WTHeck, can't let this pass and took it home. After a year...it still sits in the same right upper rear corner and won't move more than 2" for a piece of food. Does this fish need a 50 gal tank? Take a 3" tang, is 50 gal good enough for him? maybe not , he wants to swim all over heck and gone. There's something for every situation, just figure it out....that's what's fun about the hobby.

GaryE

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My Lawnmower Blenny (Benny) has yet to touch any algae. My mollies haven't either. They eat the heck out of the pellets and flakes though.. I can put a handfull of pellets in the tank and the blenny will not stop until they are gone.. He's huge.

Rmckoy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My Lawnmower Blenny (Benny) has yet to touch any algae. My mollies haven't either. They eat the heck out of the pellets and flakes though.. I can put a handfull of pellets in the tank and the blenny will not stop until they are gone.. He's huge.
Between the tangs , 2 mollies and rocky the algae doesn’t get a chance to grow on the glass

Viva'sReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
By far one of the coolest fish in our tanks. It's usually the fish Non-aquarium keepers start yacking about when they look at my tank, so much character. I'm always like hey, isn't that fish there way cooler (ya know, the $300 fish) and NOPE. Always the $20 fish lol

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 7.0%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 3.5%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 4.4%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 92 80.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 4.4%
Back