Le Potato / Rasp. Pi "Budget Apex"? (Not Reef-Pi)

seanarino

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You know what I can't save up for? An Apex system, which altogether is like, no lie, more than my disability check for a whole month (or even two; and I'm not able to keep money back because of this). You know what I *can* save up for? A bunch of tiny computers and parts.

The "all the bells and whistles" version of the Apex I would be looking for would have the following, and that's if nothing was DIY'ed:
- Magnetic Probe Rack -- $44.95
- Apex Display Module -- $109.95
- AFS - Automatic Feeding System - $109.95
- Salinity Probe (comes separate from Apex system for some reason) -- $197.95
- Extra Energy Bar -- $289.95
- DOS system (for water changes specifically) -- $329.95
- DOS & DDR system bundle (for actual dosing) -- $479.95
- Apex Pro + Trident system bundle -- $1,539.90
----- This total would come out to about $3,102.55.

I'm wondering if it's possible to use the Le Potato or Raspberry Pi to create a "budget Apex" system somehow. Preferably, I would *really* like to try automating water changes with a dosing pump, so that's added on here, as well as the dosing system for 2-part as well, or even just a single dosing resevoir + a single dosing head for something like All-For-Reef. I don't want to use the Apex Jr. because I don't like the idea of having to buy several separate modules for things built into the 'better' Apex systems for more than the price of a larger Apex for the monitoring of a single tank.

I know there's no way I'd be able to recreate the Trident that isn't more expensive than just... getting the Trident, so I'm not exactly worried about that because test kits are easy to do, though titration is hard with shaky hands / 'trigger finger'. I namely just want to recreate an Apex-system style monitor as well as dosing. This may not be deemed 'necessary' by some because I have a small tank, but I really don't want to hear the "your tank is small, just do the tests" rhetoric. I have to walk with a walker some days because I have an undiagnosed condition that's causing me severe problems with my spine. I'd like to have a controller for things, for the days I can't get out of bed - for the days I can't feed or manually top off the water or do a water change - and with the ability to do certain things, I could even create a second "budget Apex" for my freshwater tank for things like plant fertilizer, water changes, automatic feeding, etc.

I'm not looking exactly at the reef-pi, which is why this thread isn't in that section. It may be able to do some of these things, but I wanted to ask a more broad group rather than the people using just the reef-pi.

apb03

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Reef pi is your best bet. I recommend the robotank. It will require more technical know how than the much more out of the box solutions such as Ghl, HYDROS and Apex.

If you are comfortable with Linux and don't mind a bit of tinkering, it's a fantastic option that can do most of what the other controllers can do and even a few things they can't.

OP
OP
seanarino

seanarino

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Reef pi is your best bet. I recommend the robotank. It will require more technical know how than the much more out of the box solutions such as Ghl, HYDROS and Apex.

If you are comfortable with Linux and don't mind a bit of tinkering, it's a fantastic option that can do most of what the other controllers can do and even a few things they can't.
Oh? Where would you suggest I start for information specifically? I checked the "main" reef-pi thread and wasn't understanding what I was looking for. I don't know how to set up Linux or anything though quite yet.

apb03

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's not too bad of an install, you'll need a raspberry pi and then install raspian. Raspian is a special Linux distribution for the pi and then you can install reef pi. It's a couple bash shell commands with directions on the site, then you are set. The robotank is basically a custom controller for the pi that works with reef pi. You just plug in the pi and you are all set. It's about as plug and play as you can get in the DIY space.

That said, it will still require quite a bit of trial and error.

Unfortunately though, there's no automatic testing that's open source/diy as far as I know. Some folks have tried, but nothing has surfaced yet.

OP
OP
seanarino

seanarino

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's not too bad of an install, you'll need a raspberry pi and then install raspian. Raspian is a special Linux distribution for the pi and then you can install reef pi. It's a couple bash shell commands with directions on the site, then you are set. The robotank is basically a custom controller for the pi that works with reef pi. You just plug in the pi and you are all set. It's about as plug and play as you can get in the DIY space.

That said, it will still require quite a bit of trial and error.

Unfortunately though, there's no automatic testing that's open source/diy as far as I know. Some folks have tried, but nothing has surfaced yet.
What should I go with for a raspberry pi? Is the 8GB the one I should go with?

apb03

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What should I go with for a raspberry pi? Is the 8GB the one I should go with?

The pi3 is good enough. The pi4 is a bit overkill but any of them will work. Robotank has a design for any of them. Just specify which pi you have when you order.

robo-tank.ca

His stuff is very well done and has good guides to help.

OP
OP
seanarino

seanarino

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The pi3 is good enough. The pi4 is a bit overkill but any of them will work. Robotank has a design for any of them. Just specify which pi you have when you order.

robo-tank.ca

His stuff is very well done and has good guides to help.
I think I may go with the Deluxe Kit! Thank you!

fr3n0z

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Look for Joy-reef dosing pump tutorial ( https://www.joy-reef.com/en/dosing-pump-diy-part-1-hardware/ ) . And with homeassistant, few smart plugs, a w3988 ph/salinity/temp controller you can do alot for quite cheap. With a 3d printer and some work around you can do all you asked (excluding trident) for a couple of hundreds bucks.
1688189351227.png

OP
OP
seanarino

seanarino

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Look for Joy-reef dosing pump tutorial ( https://www.joy-reef.com/en/dosing-pump-diy-part-1-hardware/ ) . And with homeassistant, few smart plugs, a w3988 ph/salinity/temp controller you can do alot for quite cheap. With a 3d printer and some work around you can do all you asked (excluding trident) for a couple of hundreds bucks.
1688189351227.png
Unfortunately it seems that the prices are based in a non-US dollar, meaning it's probably extremely expensive for shipping to the US, let alone the price of the kit.

fr3n0z

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unfortunately it seems that the prices are based in a non-US dollar, meaning it's probably extremely expensive for shipping to the US, let alone the price of the kit.
You can build it super easily, the tutorial is complete and well done. If you buy on AliExpress a 3 head doser cost you around 30usd

OfficeReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You know what I can't save up for? An Apex system, which altogether is like, no lie, more than my disability check for a whole month (or even two; and I'm not able to keep money back because of this). You know what I *can* save up for? A bunch of tiny computers and parts.

The "all the bells and whistles" version of the Apex I would be looking for would have the following, and that's if nothing was DIY'ed:
- Magnetic Probe Rack -- $44.95
- Apex Display Module -- $109.95
- AFS - Automatic Feeding System - $109.95
- Salinity Probe (comes separate from Apex system for some reason) -- $197.95
- Extra Energy Bar -- $289.95
- DOS system (for water changes specifically) -- $329.95
- DOS & DDR system bundle (for actual dosing) -- $479.95
- Apex Pro + Trident system bundle -- $1,539.90
----- This total would come out to about $3,102.55.

I'm wondering if it's possible to use the Le Potato or Raspberry Pi to create a "budget Apex" system somehow. Preferably, I would *really* like to try automating water changes with a dosing pump, so that's added on here, as well as the dosing system for 2-part as well, or even just a single dosing resevoir + a single dosing head for something like All-For-Reef. I don't want to use the Apex Jr. because I don't like the idea of having to buy several separate modules for things built into the 'better' Apex systems for more than the price of a larger Apex for the monitoring of a single tank.

I know there's no way I'd be able to recreate the Trident that isn't more expensive than just... getting the Trident, so I'm not exactly worried about that because test kits are easy to do, though titration is hard with shaky hands / 'trigger finger'. I namely just want to recreate an Apex-system style monitor as well as dosing. This may not be deemed 'necessary' by some because I have a small tank, but I really don't want to hear the "your tank is small, just do the tests" rhetoric. I have to walk with a walker some days because I have an undiagnosed condition that's causing me severe problems with my spine. I'd like to have a controller for things, for the days I can't get out of bed - for the days I can't feed or manually top off the water or do a water change - and with the ability to do certain things, I could even create a second "budget Apex" for my freshwater tank for things like plant fertilizer, water changes, automatic feeding, etc.

I'm not looking exactly at the reef-pi, which is why this thread isn't in that section. It may be able to do some of these things, but I wanted to ask a more broad group rather than the people using just the reef-pi.
The answer is yes. You'll still need probes and the like. I built one but $500 was the best value I found and this was mainly due to time and the EC probe.

OfficeReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The answer is yes. You'll still need probes and the like. I built one but $500 was the best value I found and this was mainly due to time and the EC probe.
Also, the Apex Jr was like $300 or so. I recommend Affirm or something to break up your payments.

If you really must build your own, the expense is not in the PI but the things like isometric probes for pH, EC, etc. also any additional micro-controllers you add to do other things. The other cost was in pi hats and other things for touchscreen, etc. I prefer to use Adafruit for these things. The other expense is for dosing. Cheap peristaltic pumps are nothing but those with servo control and more precise control will not be inexpensive.

TBH, the easiest thing is probably either the Apex Jr with your own power control or Hydros Control 4 starter pack, which includes power control, too. :cool:

Last edited:
OP
OP
seanarino

seanarino

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also, the Apex Jr was like $300 or so. I recommend Affirm or something to break up your payments.

If you really must build your own, the expense is not in the PI but the things like isometric probes for pH, EC, etc. also any additional micro-controllers you add to do other things. The other cost was in pi hats and other things for touchscreen, etc. I prefer to use Adafruit for these things. The other expense is for dosing. Cheap peristaltic pumps are nothing but those with servo control and more precise control will not be inexpensive.

TBH, the easiest thing TBH is probably either the Apex Jr with your own power control or Hydros Control 4 starter pack, which includes power control, too. :cool:
Quote: "I don't want to use the Apex Jr. because I don't like the idea of having to buy several separate modules for things built into the 'better' Apex systems for more than the price of a larger Apex for the monitoring of a single tank."

OfficeReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't know you really get that much more, as things like ORP are not that helpful and EC probes are also not that useful IMHO. Feel free to try the build though, lots of things to look forward to. I believe Atlas Scientific has plenty of options to start with a build for $300 or so, including the RPi, the Tentacle T3, the I2C module and your pH probe. You'll also need to tackle on the extra $ for a temp module and sensor, to ensure your pH is correct.

OP
OP
seanarino

seanarino

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't know you really get that much more, as things like ORP are not that helpful and EC probes are also not that useful IMHO. Feel free to try the build though, lots of things to look forward to. I believe Atlas Scientific has plenty of options to start with a build for $300 or so, including the RPi, the Tentacle T3, the I2C module and your pH probe. You'll also need to tackle on the extra $ for a temp module and sensor, to ensure your pH is correct.
Hm... well, what would you suggest as add-ons for an Apex Jr., then?

Brett7397

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
If you can do some DIY stuff like soldering components on a bread board here are some links to guide you. There is so much inormation out there it is overwhelming.
https://learn.adafruit.com/adafruit...1-preparing-and-sd-card-for-your-raspberry-pi

Here is a link that robsworld78 uses a script to install reef pi. It is very easy with this script. Read through the post it tells you how to do it. I used it to set up a Pi Zero W and test it with some bread board circuits from the guides.
https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/how-to-install-reef-pi.889815/

More information.
https://reef-pi.github.io/
Hope this helps out. I'm like you the Apex cost way to much and I like DIY so I am going to try reef pi on my QT and I might go Robo Tank for my display tank.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 23 29.1%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 30 38.0%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 20 25.3%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 5 6.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.3%
Back