Leaking bulkheads

capchad03

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, I have had my tank set up for 2 months now, and all of a sudden I'm getting drips out of all of my bulkheads but one. I replace one last week and it seems to have salt creep coming from it. I am installing them correctly, hand tightening then going maybe 1/4 turn with pliers but nothing crazy tight. If I tighten more it starts to leak. I will be replacing all of them tomorrow do you have any suggestions on a particular brand or have any tips on installing. I may be doing something wrong. The bulkheads were from marine depot FYI. Any help is appreciated.

Mike J.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As a plumber, and from your description, all I can think of is you're kinking the rubber washer. Hold the washer tight on the water side, so it doesn't move. Screw the other side so it pulls it not twists it.

redfishbluefish

Stay Positive, Stay Productive
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The biggest mistake made with bulkheads is the location of the gasket. Regardless....REGARDLESS....of how the bulkhead is installed, the gasket always...ALWAYS...goes on the flange side. Never put the gasket on the nut side. Otherwise, a little plumber's grease also helps with sealing....but just a real light coat.

AZDesertRat

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Everything you should need to know is here:https://www.reef2reef.com/forums/eq...iltration/34973-installing-bulkhead-tips.html Never use any lubricants or sealants on the gaskets. Always take the few extra minutes to clean the excess flashing or plastic scrap off the surfaces and always use threded bulkheads if possible and use Laco PVC thread sealant on the screwed fittings, not the gaskets, it is designed specifically for PVC unlike teflon tapes and dopes.

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 6 7.0%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 4.7%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 5.8%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 66 76.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 5.8%
Back