Least Aggressive Tangs

nldemo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

From what I understand, almost all tangs are aggressive with other tangs. What I'm wondering is, what are the most peaceful tangs when housed with only other species (no other tangs)?

I have a 300gal tank, and my powder blue tang used to be the boss for sure. I would still like to keep a tang for the algae nipping benefits, but not sure if they will all be equally bossy.

thanks in advance :)

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Naso genus are the most mellow, though most are too big for even a 300; plus not good grazers. Bristles are probably the next least aggressive, though more slime algae and detritus eaters rather than hair algae. Zebrasoma are generally good herbivores; other than the purple, they’ll leave other fish alone. Acanthurus are a mixed bag. There are the psychotics like sohol and clown. Powder blue and Achilles aren’t far behind. Convict is among my favorites, but tricky to acclimate. Keep in mind that fish have individual differences also. My chevron, generally considered less aggressive, is quite intolerant of other tangs.

xxkenny90xx

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is a list by @4FordFamily from most aggressive to least. So you'll want to look at the tangs at the bottom of the list

1) Powder Blue
2) Powder Brown
3) Sohal (increasingly nasty with size)
4) Clown (increasingly nasty with size)
5) Achilles (some are docile but the nasty are up there with PBT)
6) Purple
7) Yellow
8) Goldrim/ White Cheek
9) Scopas
10) Gem
11) Kole (increasingly nasty with size)
12) Sailfin
13) Atlantic blue
14) Desjardini Sailfin
15) Hippo & YB Hippo
16) Tomini Tang
17) Chevron
18) Orange Shoulder
19) Convict Tang
20) Blonde Naso
21) Naso

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good list, in a 300g and not planning a tang gang, you have many to choose from. I have an orangeshoulder and he's a great fish, very mellow and a constant grazing machine.

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The blue eyed kole or the Tomini have been peaceful with all of our other fish in my experience and love to nip at algae. Our yellow tang is peaceful but I haven’t seen him nip at algae. Our powder blue thinks she owns the tank and likes to rough up any newcomers, but settles down after a day.

OP
OP
nldemo

nldemo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks all! Based on the list kenny posted, i may go with a chevron, sailfin, or kole tang. I think the kole will be a little too small though, as I'm looking to add predators.

mcbdz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you thought about a rabbit fish. They are peaceful, usually don't get bothered and eat algae all day. My sailfin is the smallest and friendliest right now in my tank, the yellow eyed kole is in the middle but is a real butt when he wants to be and harassed and killed a diamond goby, my hippo is my tank bully and my yellow is the referee when ever the hippo starts going afte anyone the yellow jumps in and stops it. These fish are still young though. could all change

OP
OP
nldemo

nldemo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you thought about a rabbit fish.

I actually already have a gold spotted rabbitfish, she is huge and eats everything. She prefers prepared food to the algae on my rocks though. I also have a variety of butterflies which do the occasional grazing.

kagisexton

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love my Chocolate Mimic so much, best friends with the smaller purple that was a month established when added.

nosmok

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a Vlamangi that was the most peaceful and social fish in my tank. He got too big for my 150

Fish Think Pink

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
contradiction "peaceful tangs" ... my experience ... sailfin and yellow tangs (with help from flame angel, because if chasing is going on, flame jumps in) ganged up and killed blue tang in 180g. Most recently sailfin decided yellow tang should stop eating and stay in own DT cave (though yellow never went into sailfin cave). Currently yellow tang living in QT where I grow out red ogo - yellow tang in heaven!

MarshallB

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a orange shoulder, yellow, tomini, and hippo tang. The orange shoulder rules the tank. They all seem to get along very well now. The orange shoulder is also a digger. It loves digging tunnels under my rock work.

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

From what I understand, almost all tangs are aggressive with other tangs. What I'm wondering is, what are the most peaceful tangs when housed with only other species (no other tangs)?

I have a 300gal tank, and my powder blue tang used to be the boss for sure. I would still like to keep a tang for the algae nipping benefits, but not sure if they will all be equally bossy.

thanks in advance :)
My list a few posts above may indicate that some tangs are much worse than others, they're still territorial as they defend patches of algae in the wild from other herbivores. To compliment the list, I wrote this article on tang aggression you may find helpful :)

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 56 40.3%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 29 20.9%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 49 35.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.6%
Back