Leather constantly clones itself

  • Thread starter Thread starter Bpones
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

Bpones

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Sep 25, 2023
Messages
226
Reaction score
329
Location
New Orleans
What state or country do you live in
Louisiana
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi y’all

I have a toadstool leathers that over the past ten years constantly splits off new little frags but none of them ever grow very large. The tank now has loads of clones. Wasn’t sure if anyone had any insight as to why this would be.
I always see huge leathers in other tanks but mine just stay small and multiply like crazy.

Thanks!

IMG_0658.jpeg IMG_0659.jpeg IMG_0661.jpeg
 
interesting to see that a toadstool can propagate like that! i've never encountered or read a post mentioning this.
 
No help here. I've only been keeping leathers 6 or 7 years but I've never had one clone / split.

EDIT : I wonder if being so close to some of the other corals is causing it to clone? Mine don't really have any other coral close enough to touch them. This one is probably 10-12" fully inflated
PXL_20240729_222627421.jpg
 
Hi y’all

I have a toadstool leathers that over the past ten years constantly splits off new little frags but none of them ever grow very large. The tank now has loads of clones. Wasn’t sure if anyone had any insight as to why this would be.
I always see huge leathers in other tanks but mine just stay small and multiply like crazy.

Thanks!

IMG_0658.jpeg IMG_0659.jpeg IMG_0661.jpeg
Lucky you.
 
No help here. I've only been keeping leathers 6 or 7 years but I've never had one clone / split.

EDIT : I wonder if being so close to some of the other corals is causing it to clone? Mine don't really have any other coral close enough to touch them. This one is probably 10-12" fully inflated
PXL_20240729_222627421.jpg
That’s amazing! Your tank is beautiful.
What’s odd is that some of mine are totally isolated from other coral and act the same way.
 

Attachments

  • IMG_0664.jpeg
    IMG_0664.jpeg
    248.6 KB · Views: 56

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE BIGGEST REASON YOU ATTEND A FRAG SWAP?

  • Finding unusual or hard-to-find corals

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Better prices than buying online

    Votes: 2 28.6%
  • Trading or selling my own frags

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Meeting other reefers

    Votes: 1 14.3%
  • Learning from vendors and hobbyists

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Seeing corals in person before buying

    Votes: 3 42.9%
  • Supporting the local reefing community

    Votes: 2 28.6%
  • I don’t have frag swaps nearby

    Votes: 1 14.3%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new