Leather coral drooping

Campbell Bradley

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had this finger leather coral for a while and it's always been very healthy and used to extend massively. Until a while ago my pair of clownfish started hosting it for about a week and then it stopped extending and just drooped down.
It's been doing this for a while now and we've tried moving it, propping it up and it just falls down again.
Does anyone know what's up with it?
Thankyou

20240111_155551.jpg 20231017_164720.jpg

kevgib67

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had this finger leather coral for a while and it's always been very healthy and used to extend massively. Until a while ago my pair of clownfish started hosting it for about a week and then it stopped extending and just drooped down.
It's been doing this for a while now and we've tried moving it, propping it up and it just falls down again.
Does anyone know what's up with it?
Thankyou

20240111_155551.jpg 20231017_164720.jpg
Did you change the flow in your tank?

kevgib67

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Only really re adjusting powerheads and outlets, would that have enough impact on the leather?
I replaced my return nozzle with a dual return nozzle, it changed the flow in my tank and my sinularia doesn’t stand up straight as much anymore. Flow helps keep them up especially as they get bigger.

OP
OP
Campbell Bradley

Campbell Bradley

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I replaced my return nozzle with a dual return nozzle, it changed the flow in my tank and my sinularia doesn’t stand up straight as much anymore. Flow helps keep them up especially as they get bigger.
So should I try put it into an area with stronger flow and see how that helps? At the moments the top of my tank I'd full of torches but i can always move my powerhead to help a little bit

OP
OP
Campbell Bradley

Campbell Bradley

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You could try just make sure you don’t blast it. Could you just adjust the return to how it was?
The return pump stayed the same through the time when it started to fall. I have dual random flow outlets as well so maybe I might need more flow them that because it is quite large of a leather coral

kevgib67

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The return pump stayed the same through the time when it started to fall. I have dual random flow outlets as well so maybe I might need more flow them that because it is quite large of a leather coral
Ya just make changes slowly until you find a sweet spot. Careful, don’t let it be a detriment to all your other corals if they are all happy.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 15.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 87 57.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 7.2%
Back