Leather questions

Susan Edwards

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My first tank I made the mistake of having a couple of colts. They dropped branches all over the place. I've removed them, couldn't bear to kill all of them so they went into a temp. tank and will soon go to live in the coral qt tank. I'm constantly removing ones that rooted into my tank! I could have opened a business just selling those! Except who'd want them.... Except I do like them just not a zillion of them!

So my question is: I've got a new tank set up and want to add some leathers--love them. The finger leathers (sinularia) have the same branching structure as colts. Do they drop branches to propagate?

I'm looking at toadstools, weeping willow, yellow toadstool, and finger leathers. maybe rasta, cabbage leather and the green palua neptha.

What other corals can go beneath a leather and not sting or be stung or cause a chemical war. Zoas? Planning out my tank as much as I can instead of impulse buying as much as I can

Tank is 125 gal, 6 x18 x 22

reef lover

It's a reef thing....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They all have the ability to split/ reproduce...but don't do so at a fast pace...I would stay away from nepthea...will drop profusely... And u can put ZOA's, mushies and other low light corals around them. As long as u actively run gac u shouldn't have any troubles with chemical warfare.

OP
OP
Susan Edwards

Susan Edwards

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The colts sure drop them and at an alarming rate! Which is too bad as it was/is one of my favorites softies.

reef lover

It's a reef thing....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OK my bad after some further research seems the palua nepthea is actually in the sinularia family and not the nepthea/ Kenya tree I was thinking of....looks like it'd make a great speciman.

Opus

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The colts sure drop them and at an alarming rate! Which is too bad as it was/is one of my favorites softies.

Do you have a pic? I had a colt for around 5 years and it never dropped any branches. Sure it wasn't a Kenya tree, they drop like crazy and can be mislabeled as a Colt.

OP
OP
Susan Edwards

Susan Edwards

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here are my original 2. Ended up with a 3rd. And a zillion more. Even tried to save and root them as they fell until I realized that was all I'd have in my tank <g> I really do like them. Just not in my displays anymore and do not want to get any others that do what this one did.
20170329_204932_resized_1.jpg

reef lover

It's a reef thing....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agreed that is capnella, avoid that as well as nepthea as you've seen they're prolific....lol. And yes sinularia/ finger leathers are good.

Saltdaddy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You may want to double think about cabbage coral. I had it in my last tank and it was growing almost as fast as the Kenya tree. I do like it though .

Rachael0059

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My colt has never dropped and I have several. One is at least 14". Are you sure its not a kenya or something?

Rachael0059

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here are my original 2. Ended up with a 3rd. And a zillion more. Even tried to save and root them as they fell until I realized that was all I'd have in my tank <g> I really do like them. Just not in my displays anymore and do not want to get any others that do what this one did.
20170329_204932_resized_1.jpg
Nevermind. Just saw this. Definitely a kenya. Colts dont drop like that.

Back