Leaving Fish for Vacation

icehood24

Community Member
View Badges
Joined
May 15, 2022
Messages
63
Reaction score
13
Location
huh
What state or country do you live in
New York
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This summer I am going on a 2 week vacation. I am wondering what to do with my fish tank. I have to ocellaris clowns, a shrimp, and an astraea snail. To have an automatic fish feeder I would have to take the lid off, which would result in way too much evaporation. My choices are to put them all (except the shrimp that I would give away in this case) to a friend in a 5 gallon tank (would my algae that I have growing die?), or… a new idea? I do not think I will be allowed to have someone come over and feed them. PLEASE HELP ME!!!
 
This summer I am going on a 2 week vacation. I am wondering what to do with my fish tank. I have to ocellaris clowns, a shrimp, and an astraea snail. To have an automatic fish feeder I would have to take the lid off, which would result in way too much evaporation. My choices are to put them all (except the shrimp that I would give away in this case) to a friend in a 5 gallon tank (would my algae that I have growing die?), or… a new idea? I do not think I will be allowed to have someone come over and feed them. PLEASE HELP ME!!!
I went on a month long vacation with no lid, corals, feather duster, and tons of fish and it was just fine. Higher a trusted friend to top off some water, feed them, and do some basic maintenance and you should be good. Occelaris clowns are hardy. What type of shrimp do you have? Pygmy skunk cleaner?
 
Depending on how many pods are in the tank, the clown could probably feed itself in this timeframe.
The shrimp and snail are going to scavenge anyway, with or without you.
I agree having someone, relative or trusted friend, to feed is the best option.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 6 4.0%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 11 7.4%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 27 18.1%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 51 34.2%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 2 1.3%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 10 6.7%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 10 6.7%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 22 14.8%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 10 6.7%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new