Leaving nano tank for 10 days

Latte

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all,

I'm heading away for around 10 days and will be away from my tank (red sea max nano - 20g AIO). I recently went away on two trips for 5 days away, a few days back and another 5 days gone. Over those trips I used an auto feeder, which seemed to spike my nitrates a bit and I had green hair algae all over the place when I came back. I have a couple euphylia, some zoas and two small clown fish, as well as a VERY healthy copepod population (they're all over the glass, live rock, sand.

I've noticed the clowns occasionally picking at the glass and eating pods. Do you think I'd be better off removing the auto feeder and leaving the clowns to eat the pods they can catch, or should I keep the auto feeder going?

Sebastiancrab

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I travel I have:
two auto feeders set at different times
two heaters both on controllers
Battery powered air pump
Wyze camera so I can monitor tank
RODI water larger reservoir in the event I am delayed
Spare return pump
An emergency backup maintenance person not a relative or friend

Radman73

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all,

I'm heading away for around 10 days and will be away from my tank (red sea max nano - 20g AIO). I recently went away on two trips for 5 days away, a few days back and another 5 days gone. Over those trips I used an auto feeder, which seemed to spike my nitrates a bit and I had green hair algae all over the place when I came back. I have a couple euphylia, some zoas and two small clown fish, as well as a VERY healthy copepod population (they're all over the glass, live rock, sand.

I've noticed the clowns occasionally picking at the glass and eating pods. Do you think I'd be better off removing the auto feeder and leaving the clowns to eat the pods they can catch, or should I keep the auto feeder going?
Can you cut down the volume or frequency of the autofeeder? If not, I'd skip feeding them. As long as they're healthy and well established in the tank they'll live.

Sebastiancrab

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you cut down the volume or frequency of the autofeeder? If not, I'd skip feeding them. As long as they're healthy and well established in the tank they'll live.
They will probably live if they are in good shape but imo it is cruel to not feed them for 10 days.

Radman73

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They will probably live if they are in good shape but imo it is cruel to not feed them for 10 days.
I have a male anthias, which are supposed to be fed several times a day, in my remote fuge that gets fed maybe once or twice per week. He's still fat and happy. If the tank is established and not overstocked there can be enough food to at least get them by. I understand the feeling that it's cruel, but if there is natural food in that tank, it isn't. They may not eat as much or as easy as being human fed, but they'll be fine.

Woodyman

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Either cut back on the frequency or the output of the auto feeder. What type/style of auto feeder do you have. Mine has a slide to control portion size and can be set to feed from 1-4 times a day.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 77 76.2%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 11 10.9%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 7 6.9%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 2.0%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

• Other.

Back