Leaving the hobby. Life happens and changes happen

A_Blind_Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Death…. Taxes…. Life happens to us all at some point. Some things are just too difficult (physically and emotionally) to give up. I haven’t been able to give up the ghost yet. Several years ago I moved to a new home in a new state. I moved my long standing mixed tank along but decided it was the perfect time for an upgrade. Anyway, I’ll shy away from boring you with details but shortly after things were set up and starting to grow, life happened. Physical health issues that have severely impacted my abilities, shortly after losing most of my functional vision, to instantly diving into mental issues with depression. Not wanting to get into a pity party here but the question did hit me. What does one do with hobbies, interests, relationships, etc when life hits? Certain things are no brainers and just can no longer be done or enjoyed no matter what people say. Others, you try to hold on to and adapt so they can still be part of the equation. For me that’s the aquarium. It’s muscle memory for the most part. Being a tech nerd with apex gear has made it somewhat doable. I really don’t get the enjoyment out of it but I do get some sense of accomplishment out of it which is everything to me at this point in life. I can see and make out contrasting colors, but have zero detail or clarity in my vision. The only fish I know is there is the yellow tang.

randomfishdude

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not nessacarly 100% on topic but I guess this is a good place to share this.

So basically there is a dude that was having some work done. He decided that he was done with the hobby. So he gave his 130gal tank and all its stuff along with fish to one of the workers. (A person who lives in my town)
The worker dosnt know anything about reefing so he gives all the fish and a few coral to my lfs. (Massive foxface, massive rabbit fish, and a big purple tang are some that I know of.)
I go to the lfs for some snails and I see the these fish and I want a purple super bad but I was leaving for the vacation I'm currently on. But the dude at our lfs tells me about this and said it's probobly about a 2-3k dollar tank and he's going to probobly sell it for 1k.

So anyway I am on my way out of town and I was looking on Facebook marketplace and I see this 130gal tank for sale with a bunch of stuff in it. For 800$ (originally 1k) or a decent lawn mower.
Only been for sale for a week.
Now this tank had 2x kessel ad9x(675$ used EACH)
A kessel hd80 for the refuge.
What I guess is a carbon reactor.
Ozmolaitor auto topoff.
Dual mp40s.
Dual overflow.
Sump.
Along with what I can guess is all the other stuff that the tank would need.
Alot of that is just the stuff I can make out in the images as the guy said on his ad that he dosnt know anything about reefing.

By what I know that's probobly 6-7k$ worth of stuff.
Now I'm not a guy to turn down such a deal.
So maybe in the future you'll see me doing a "800$" 130gal build thread.
1000002964.jpg
341191167_6465854390132438_3841838035653952693_n.jpg 340851892_9245642128839130_8125090589391519884_n.jpg 353644535_9437275239647608_746188322732424538_n.jpg 352423570_6332411936802594_290397509165926142_n.jpg 336471771_6029362783853064_6492214528065919413_n.jpg 339895588_6369878193096967_4706287315936484595_n.jpg

00W

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't like to think about leaving the hobby so I don't think about it.
My tank really is what I have to unwind from a long day-I work 14-15 hours a day. And it's my peace. Sure it drives me nuts sometimes-so I guess I wouldn't miss that.
I would miss tinkering and the science of it all.
Most of all I would miss the smell. I know it sounds funny but a well tuned tank just smells like the ocean to me.

OP
OP
vetteguy53081

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
I don't like to think about leaving the hobby so I don't think about it.
My tank really is what I have to unwind from a long day-I work 14-15 hours a day. And it's my peace. Sure it drives me nuts sometimes-so I guess I wouldn't miss that.
I would miss tinkering and the science of it all.
Most of all I would miss the smell. I know it sounds funny but a well tuned tank just smells like the ocean to me.
Its true

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
While it seems less frequent, there are hobbyists on R2R who list their entire systems and equipment in the marketplace forum due to job changes, arrival of a baby, no time and more. It is understandable things arise and warrant a need to let go of their tank and even other hobbies.

If you were to leave the hobby due to such circumstances, what can you say you will miss the most and enjoyed the most ?
What would you not miss the most?

I will set up a nano tank before i leave but based on the question, I enjoy(ed) watching both fish and coral grow and the colors they provided and the enjoyment of daily sea life in my living room. What I would miss the most is waking up each day and feeding the tank, adding coral periodically to further beautify the tank.
What I would not miss is the cost of essential equipment and WATER CHANGES !

** Please note that I am NOT leaving the hobby as I have 5 PM messages with offers for my fish and coral. The subject is about those who left or are considering leaving
I am leaving. Temporarily at least. I will miss my fish the most. The coral etc - are just decorations - like plants. For example - if a plant that I had had for years died I would be sad - but it's a plant.

OP
OP
vetteguy53081

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0

jabberwock

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I started freshwater more than 40 years ago. Saltwater since 2018. I have been in and out multiple times. I have missed the feeling of accomplishment, something meaningful to do instead of wasting time in front of a screen, the science, the connection it creates with my kid, the connection I feel with the animals, figuring things out, helping people, teaching myself something new and mostly the wonderment of how the natural world works, and how little we really know about it (mystery I guess).

bakbay

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interesting thread -- I'm leaving the hobby....for a long 8 hours to make more money so I can return to the hobby! :) I've been in the aquarium hobby for more than 30 years, way before I met my wife. That means that the cost of the tank, tank upgrades, equipment, salt, maintenance, etc are all grandfather'ed in! My wife can't make me get rid of my tanks, corals, and fish - ha! Note-to-self: should have put that in the prenup... j/k

Anyway, if I ever do retire from the hobby -- I would definitely miss watching the corals grow, fish chasing each other & splashing water on the floor, water trickling down and thru the sump, tinkering with new tech (I'm a geek), interacting with friends on R2R, and the pure joy of sharing frags with family & friends!

What I won't miss: cost of equipment and "designer" corals -- they're ridiculously expensive nowadays!

bakbay

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not nessacarly 100% on topic but I guess this is a good place to share this.

So basically there is a dude that was having some work done. He decided that he was done with the hobby. So he gave his 130gal tank and all its stuff along with fish to one of the workers. (A person who lives in my town)
The worker dosnt know anything about reefing so he gives all the fish and a few coral to my lfs. (Massive foxface, massive rabbit fish, and a big purple tang are some that I know of.)
I go to the lfs for some snails and I see the these fish and I want a purple super bad but I was leaving for the vacation I'm currently on. But the dude at our lfs tells me about this and said it's probobly about a 2-3k dollar tank and he's going to probobly sell it for 1k.

So anyway I am on my way out of town and I was looking on Facebook marketplace and I see this 130gal tank for sale with a bunch of stuff in it. For 800$ (originally 1k) or a decent lawn mower.
Only been for sale for a week.
Now this tank had 2x kessel ad9x(675$ used EACH)
A kessel hd80 for the refuge.
What I guess is a carbon reactor.
Ozmolaitor auto topoff.
Dual mp40s.
Dual overflow.
Sump.
Along with what I can guess is all the other stuff that the tank would need.
Alot of that is just the stuff I can make out in the images as the guy said on his ad that he dosnt know anything about reefing.

By what I know that's probobly 6-7k$ worth of stuff.
Now I'm not a guy to turn down such a deal.
So maybe in the future you'll see me doing a "800$" 130gal build thread.
Very long day for me but this post was very confusing for my little brain. Yes, it's been scientifically proven that I'm one of the slow ones on R2R. ChatGPT is not available on this forum so I can't ask for a quick summary.

My attempt: you "stole" a 130g tank and won't be leaving the hobby anytime soon?

BroccoliFarmer

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
While it seems less frequent, there are hobbyists on R2R who list their entire systems and equipment in the marketplace forum due to job changes, arrival of a baby, no time and more. It is understandable things arise and warrant a need to let go of their tank and even other hobbies.

If you were to leave the hobby due to such circumstances, what can you say you will miss the most and enjoyed the most ?

I will set up a nano tank before i leave but based on the question, I enjoy(ed) watching both fish and coral grow and the colors they provided and the enjoyment of daily sea life in my living room. What I would miss the most is waking up each day and feeding the tank, adding coral periodically to further beautify the tank.

** Please note that I am NOT leaving the hobby as I have 5 PM messages with offers for my fish and coral. The subject is about those who left or are considering leaving
Miss the most...a few people on R2R.
Enjoyed the most...a few people on R2R.
Not miss the most...aa few people on R2R.

TCseh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

The first thing that came to mind was that Seinfeld episode where George Costanza wanted to break up with his girlfriend but they just said "No".

Happy to hear you are staying in the hobby.

BroccoliFarmer

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
vetteguy53081

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

vabben

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wouldn’t miss the pests in this hobby,AEFW, red bugs, ich, Dino’s, multiple QTs, fallow periods. It’s always something plus a couple hundred dollars.

I would miss when a tank hits its stride and can watch almost daily growth of corals.

Building with glass and silicone: Have you ever built a tank or had a custom tank built?

• I have built an aquarium.

Votes: 18 13.3%
  • I have had a custom tank built.

Votes: 28 20.7%
  • I have never built a tank or had a custom tank built.

Votes: 83 61.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 4.4%
Back