LED Channels when testing PAR

squarereefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This question is silly, but I plan to rent a PAR meter this evening to map out my tank. I am running (2) NooPsyche K7 Pro 3's over an IM Nuvo 75 (35.4" x 23.6" x 19.7). I know I want to map light levels at 25%, 50%, 75%, 100% , but to do this properly, should all 6 led channels be set to those percentages? Should I instead try to keep the blend of my current profile (blue, green, cyan 50%, UV 30%, white 10%, red 0%) and then adjust that blend proportionality to take my 25, 75, 100% readings?

Side question: The 0% red channel is the factory default for the NP mixed reef profile. I tend not to like the red look anyway, but am I hurting anything without it?

Last edited:

Bpb

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can do that. It won’t physically be doing what you may want it to, but the specifics of how it changes are negligible. Diodes don’t increase and decrease their output linearly from 0-100%. Different drivers and diodes behave differently with current changes. Some increase output heavily at lower voltages and level off with little change at higher voltages, some are opposite of that, others are more straight.

That being said. I’d keep it simple and just maintain your relative percentages and not worry about how different they may actually be.

oreo54

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Side question: The 0% red channel is the factory default for the NP mixed reef profile. I tend not to like the red look anyway, but am I hurting anything without it?
Ask 12 people and get 12 different answers.
Only one brave enough to quantify ( well more tongue in cheek statement, not hard science( it (Mr Riddle) suggested no more red than 30% of your total par. Hope I remembered that percent correctly.
Now that would include the red portion of the white LEDs.

So given the above one may just add to taste.
Personally one could decrease the white and increase the red to add more " fake" white (RGB=w) to add some punch and cut down on yellowing from the whites
But this is all aesthetics

I like this " rule of thumb"
When your red/orange clownfish don't appear black anymore, you have enough red light
:)
Screenshot_20230929-101927.png

Last edited:

exnisstech

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Disclaimer: I'm no expert and can't tell you what color channels provide the best coral growth.
I run 6 Noopsyche K7 over my 180g. What I did and do with my other lights as well is set them to my liking and then measure par. If it's too high or too low I make adjustment to each channel accordingly so the look is still the same but the par is raised or lowered.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 19 13.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 7.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 21 15.3%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 77 56.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.6%
Back