LED light for 20 long tank?

aKlevans

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all,

Kinda new to the hobby...If i'm doing something completely wrong please tell me:D
So I'm looking for a good LED light for my 20 gallon long tank (12 x 12 x 30) with mostly low-light soft or LPS corals. The coral that would require the most light would be a toadstool leather coral. However, I think it would be nice to maybe upgrade to some easy to keep sps corals in the future like montipora. I was looking around and found the Current USA Orbit LED. I know it has low output LEDs so its probably not good for sps, and I know they have a pro version, but its kind of pricey.

My question is, do you know of a good led light for a 20 long tank that has higher power than the Current USA Orbit but isn't as expensive as the pro version?

Thanks for the imput:)

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Current USA Orbit but isn't as expensive as the pro version?
The new version will will do high light very well. The older version or non pro(no lenses) will actually do really well on a smaller shallower tank.
The older non lens had difficulty on deep tanks.

Dont be fooled by the SPS high light myth. Many Many sps do very very very well in par ranges of 100 t0 300 PAR Range. Some SPS, acropora and other corals as well (and clams) will need about 250 and up.

Check the Current website, the par numbers are pretty accurate and not too overstated..

OP
OP
aKlevans

aKlevans

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey, thanks for the reply.:)

I had already seen the PAR numbers on the website and like you said they were pretty good for what you'd expect.
I was looking for other lights and ran into the GalaxyHydro LED. Do you think that's overkill and the current light would be fine?

Thanks a ton

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey, thanks for the reply.:)

I had already seen the PAR numbers on the website and like you said they were pretty good for what you'd expect.
I was looking for other lights and ran into the GalaxyHydro LED. Do you think that's overkill and the current light would be fine?

Thanks a ton
Id go for the SBreeflight over the mars or galaxy hydro, its only a few bucks more and is overkill, but if you went to a larger tank it would o with it. The current is fine too.

Its might be worth considering how the tank is going to look as well. The furniture quality.
The current is pretty sleek. I like the SB light quality better. The current has a built in timer/ramp. Trade offs.

OP
OP
aKlevans

aKlevans

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was also looking at the orbit ic. I got a good deal at my LFS but I don't know if it is as bright as the orbit marine pro.

Thanks for the info btw:)

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was also looking at the orbit ic. I got a good deal at my LFS but I don't know if it is as bright as the orbit marine pro.

Thanks for the info btw:)
I belive it's the same thing or very close to the same specs as the orbit pro.

Mr_Banana_Pants

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used the orbit ic and I was not very happy with it... the timer malfunctioned when I went away for a weekend... stayed on for 3 days... bleached 6 corals and stressed my fish, caused an ich outbreak... cost me over $500

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 64 39.8%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 35 21.7%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 56 34.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 3.7%
Back