LED light recommendations for a 30 gallon mixed reef

Elle22

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi! I recently posted a thread similar to this one, asking about which powerheads I should use for my aquarium as my current one is not adequate. I am shifting right now from an LPS mainly reef to a mixed reef with some SPS (acros and montis). I have little SPS right now because I am trying to figure out my tank before I put expensive coral in a tank that is undergoing constant changes.

I currently have a JBJ 30 gallon rimless tank with these dimensions: 23.6" x 19.7" x 16.5" (60 cm x 50 cm x 42cm ). I have the JBJ orion lt-120 light right now, and it has been doing the job well until right now. Just need an upgraded light I think, that will care for demanding SPS and advance their color.

Aqua Mars has so far been recommended to me, as I am not looking to spend an extreme amount on a light. Hopefully around the $250ish range. Does anyone have other recommendations? Thank you in advance!

SDReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think that the Chinese Black Box LEDs are the best deal if you're not looking to spend a lot of money on a more expensive light. I have a Chinese Black Box and I love it since it does all that I need it to do. However, I'm pretty sure that most people that own the more expensive lights don't regret their purchase.

Winschuc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
SB reef LED's are a great value at a great price. Just moves all my coral from a 400w MH to a tank with SB lights. The corals are changing to colors I've never seen on them before after only about a month.

OP
OP
Elle22

Elle22

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think that the Chinese Black Box LEDs are the best deal if you're not looking to spend a lot of money on a more expensive light. I have a Chinese Black Box and I love it since it does all that I need it to do. However, I'm pretty sure that most people that own the more expensive lights don't regret their purchase.

SB reef LED's are a great value at a great price. Just moves all my coral from a 400w MH to a tank with SB lights. The corals are changing to colors I've never seen on them before after only about a month.

Can I ask both of you guys the size of your tanks, what corals you keep in them, and what models of these lights you recommend? Thanks for the input!

Winschuc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've got a 300 (96x30x24) currently running 2 32" and 1 16" Wi-Fi. I keep sps/Lps. To be honest, I would recommend the wifi units, but they come with a bit of a challenge - cannot run off the apex, have limited set points (for android) and are slightly off in timing on dimming (unless you run a router for multiple units).

For color, ease of use and coverage, even though I've only been running them for a brief amount of time, I'll stick with these. Maybe add a few t5 in the future for more full coverage.

Here's a photo for proof of use. Sorry for the cloudiness, re-doing my scape.
3365175fa7398dc20f8502713033a6f7.jpg

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 31.2%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 23 24.7%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 18 19.4%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 23 24.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back