LED light repair question...

chevy4w

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was hoping I would win the LED light at the meeting tonight! :rolleyes:

I have the Acan Prism 600 series LED lights(18 inches, I have 2 over my 75 gallon)
I noticed today that one row in one of the lights is very dim. Because I "live" up on Youtube I tried to see if it was something I could repair but I can't find anything. Any place around that repairs LED lights? Any suggestions, besides go out and buy new lights!!! They are an older model and should be replaced but I'd like to buy some time on that purchase.

OP
OP
chevy4w

chevy4w

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks Nicole. I will post it in a lighting forum. That makes sense.
No sps on that side to worry about.

OP
OP
chevy4w

chevy4w

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I didn't go to the forum. I'm a DIY handyman to an extent but I wouldn't be comfortable taking that light apart myself. That's beyond my scope of DIY!
I did call the manufacturer of the lights and they respond saying I can send the light back to them and they will repair it. The cost will be between $100-150 max. I don't know what shipping will cost to send it. I would consider that option but I'll be without the light on that side of the tank for at least 3 weeks!
Yikes! Not good. I would need to find someone that has a light I could borrow while mine out for repair.
I would prefer to find a local business that repairs stuff like this. I will figure something out!
I don't have a lot of "play money" right now, I'm going away on a scuba diving vacation in 3 weeks!(another EXPENSIVE hobby)

captc07

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I didn't go to the forum. I'm a DIY handyman to an extent but I wouldn't be comfortable taking that light apart myself. That's beyond my scope of DIY!
I did call the manufacturer of the lights and they respond saying I can send the light back to them and they will repair it. The cost will be between $100-150 max. I don't know what shipping will cost to send it. I would consider that option but I'll be without the light on that side of the tank for at least 3 weeks!
Yikes! Not good. I would need to find someone that has a light I could borrow while mine out for repair.
I would prefer to find a local business that repairs stuff like this. I will figure something out!
I don't have a lot of "play money" right now, I'm going away on a scuba diving vacation in 3 weeks!(another EXPENSIVE hobby)

We have a couple of dimmable black box leds that you are welcome to use while your light is out for repair.

OP
OP
chevy4w

chevy4w

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you. I might just take you up on that offer. I have a "message" sent to a former classmate via Facebook who may be able to repair the light(he owns a tv repair business) or refer me to someone who could. Waiting for a response. Either way I may need to borrow that light. I'll keep you posted.

OP
OP
chevy4w

chevy4w

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So many decisions to make!!!:rolleyes:
This light problem has got me thinking about a few things. The light is still operating ok just not 100%. and obviously something is wrong and I want to be proactive before the light goes completely. I brought it to a local tv repair shop(my family has known this family forever!)and he was so if-y about tackling the job that I told him it might not be a good idea for him to try. He was honest and I respect that. As I mentioned I have the option to send it back to Acan Lighting(manufacturer)but I really am starting to have a bad feeling about that. Acan never was a popular led light manufacturer however I have had success with it.(and cost was 499.00 a piece,2012, I have two)so they weren't cheap. They don't make reef tank lighting any more, at least I can't find them on the web anywhere and when I called their phone number I got a recording to leave a message. I did not like that.
So, I may bite the bullet and buy a new set of lights!(please don't tell my wife!:eek:)
But, here is my question for today...a lot of us are using led fixtures and they are becoming more popular all the time. Where are we to take them when they need repair? It would be nice to have a local business we can turn to when the light needs repair rather than ship it back to the manufacturer. Any thoughts on this?

Wesus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Problem with LED lights repairs is that some manufactures are using custom made drivers and fans. Since reef hobby market is relatively small nobody provides generic parts. In your case most likely driver is defected and is going to be hard to find replacement.
Local shop would charge you probably more then manufacture. There is small chance that one of led chips is bad and this would be easy repair

OP
OP
chevy4w

chevy4w

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I decided to buy a "back up" LED light, the JBJ SL Series light(smallest model) to use while I send out my current Acan Prism 600 series LED light to be repaired. Seeing that I have a "back up" for just about everything else I thought it made sense to do this.
Thanks everybody for the input and offers. Much appreciated.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 105 76.1%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 10.9%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 5.8%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 3 2.2%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 3 2.2%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 1.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.4%
Back