LED lighting for 20 gallon long

khmer86

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Fellow Reefer,

What is the best lighting options for 20 gallon long frag/coral quarantine tank? Budget is roughly ~$400. I have a reefbreeders photon v2 which I love and considering the 24" version for the frag tank. I plan on growing mostly SPS corals. I've considered Ai Prime, reefbright lumi lite pro. Any advice and tips would be greatly appreciated! Also, I prefer lighting that can be each color lighting individually controlled.

My current thought on purchasing is as follows unless someone can convince me with insights on why I should change my mind lol
1st = 24" reefbreeders photons v2
2nd = 2 ai prime
3rd = reef brite led lumi lite pro or the XHO version

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like the spread of the reef brites. They are a bit basic in function but total coverage is great for branching sps. The reef brite would ideally want to he mounted fairly high off the tank to avoid hotspots. Primes are fine but AI irritates me lol (I have had nothing but bad experiences with their products)

OP
OP
K

khmer86

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like the spread of the reef brites. They are a bit basic in function but total coverage is great for branching sps. The reef brite would ideally want to he mounted fairly high off the tank to avoid hotspots. Primes are fine but AI irritates me lol (I have had nothing but bad experiences with their products)
Thanks for that info, only experience I have with Ai is their fuge light which I love but nothing on their reef lights. I agree that the reef brites are a bit basic but I like the controllability of each individual lights instead of low, med, high style.

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for that info, only experience I have with Ai is their fuge light which I love but nothing on their reef lights. I agree that the reef brites are a bit basic but I like the controllability of each individual lights instead of low, med, high style.

My main issue with AI is lense melting if you run violet and UV at max for the day. I also had a power brick of their fail on me rather quickly. If I ever get another puck light I am going to get a kessil instead.

OP
OP
K

khmer86

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My main issue with AI is lense melting if you run violet and UV at max for the day. I also had a power brick of their fail on me rather quickly. If I ever get another puck light I am going to get a kessil instead.
Right! I like kessil but for price standpoint I rather go for the photons v2. My DT is 75g with 48" photons v2 with aquaticlife t5 and love it. Just wanted to see other options for frag tank capable of growing sps corals

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Right! I like kessil but for price standpoint I rather go for the photons v2. My DT is 75g with 48" photons v2 with aquaticlife t5 and love it. Just wanted to see other options for frag tank capable of growing sps corals

There are some other lights such as noopsyche but I don't have experience or data on those. The BRD videos are helpful for a lot of brands but the numbers will obviously be slightly different on a 20 long.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 63 36.6%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 34.3%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 24 14.0%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 26 15.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back