LED Q&A (You ask, I'll answer)

Dsdaley77

*REEF ADDICT*
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I have a 75 gallon mixed reef tank which is 48x18x18. I was looking into DIY LEDs from aqua style online. I was planning on getting the 72 bridglux pack and was going to do
24 10000k white
24 royal blue
12 blue
6 red
6 green
6 uv
With the maxwellen drivers. Does this sound okay and safe?
Or would you go with Cree and just use less so the cost isn't so much. I was trying to stay around or under 300
Thanks for any advice.

Rockinzebra, I have the same tank I'm sure but curious about the fixture your looking at. Is it long so it goes the length of your tank or are you getting two fixtures that equal the specs you posted? Could you post a link to the lights in question? Thx

rockinzebra457

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's just the package I'm getting. I have to build the fixture. I think I'm gonna do like two big sections of lights on each side. Which would be 36 lights over only 24 inches which shld be more than enough. It's aquastyleonline.com

OP
OP
Reef Breeders

Reef Breeders

ReefBreeders.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I for one am pretty excited about the LEDs coming from Chinese companies like Evergrow and sites like aliexpress.com make it really easy to customize your own dimmable fixtures. My question is this though, could you accent a basic 55 piece 120 watt 1:1 rb to cw dimmable unit with Ecoxotics stunners which come in a wide variety of colors? On a side note, could the new Ecoxotic marine pro fixtures with built in dimmers work to fully sustain a mixed reef minus acros? I was thinking 2 48 inch units for a standard 75g.
They are not worth the money IMO. The chinese fixtures will support sps, and you can diy an accent light with violets, reds, blues, and greens.

OP
OP
Reef Breeders

Reef Breeders

ReefBreeders.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 75 gallon mixed reef tank which is 48x18x18. I was looking into DIY LEDs from aqua style online. I was planning on getting the 72 bridglux pack and was going to do
24 10000k white
24 royal blue
12 blue
6 red
6 green
6 uv
With the maxwellen drivers. Does this sound okay and safe?
Or would you go with Cree and just use less so the cost isn't so much. I was trying to stay around or under 300
Thanks for any advice.
I would go for closer to 100 LEDs, and be able to support sps. With 72 LEDS, you will be okay with softies, and if you cluster them in the middle, you can keep sps towards the middle of the tank. Maxwellen drivers are the worst of the chinese drivers, they will buzz when dimmed, and are very innefficient. I would use meanwells instead, you can buy the dim4, a 0-10v controller (analog voltage!) for $85, and use that for a full sunrise/sunset effect with your LEDs. As for the LED colors, 10k whites will give you pastel colors, I always always always use 7500k cool whites, not too yellow, and not too white, plus they have a great 450nm spike, which helps to grow corals. I would go a little less on the regular blues, and add more royals and cool whites instead, 6 blues is all you need. Be sure to have that many colors on a seperate dimmer, mostly for the 6 reds, which can be a little overpowering.

OP
OP
Reef Breeders

Reef Breeders

ReefBreeders.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for your time. Can one run both LED's and MH anf if so what are the risks? Do you know how well a mixed tank dose with LED's vs. MH? What is the best material to addhere the LED's to? What do you use for a cotroller and is it programable one that will alow for a 24 dour cycle or longr? What dose one to use for a storm affect?

Thanx for taking the time!!!!
Yes, you can, with a good enough heatsink, and lots of air circulation. Remember, heat is the LEDs worst enemy, do the more airflow, the more cooling, and the longer your LEDs will last next to your mh. I would do a 50/50 royal blue/420nm violet strip, mh does not have the 420nm spectrum in it, in most bulbs. With meanwells, I reccomend the DIM4, it is only $85, and will give you the full sunrise/sunset effect. If you ahve an apex, you can also program storms, however with royals and violets, it will not be much. I am against storms, as they do nothing but scare your fish.

OP
OP
Reef Breeders

Reef Breeders

ReefBreeders.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So is it ok that my drivers make this noise and the leds crackle when dimming or is this something I should worry about?
I would not be worried, just annoyed, hyperion drivers will not crackle or buzz, and would only cost about $50

rockinzebra457

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So what I I went with
18 10000k
9 7500k
27 royal blue
6 blue
4 red
4 green
4 uv
And what bulbs would you add if I went to 108 LEDs. What combo?
Thanks

OP
OP
Reef Breeders

Reef Breeders

ReefBreeders.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So what I I went with
18 10000k
9 7500k
27 royal blue
6 blue
4 red
4 green
4 uv
And what bulbs would you add if I went to 108 LEDs. What combo?
Thanks

I would go 20 7500k cool whites, they are a little stronger than the blues. No 10k whites, maybe 1 or 2

rockinzebra457

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wht if the cool whites are xpg would you do any less than 24 of them?
Thanks again for all your time.

creefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What are your recommendations for a 36" x 18" x 15" tank with 14" water hight? Tank is SPS Dominant. Would you run 2 smaller fixtures, or one larger one? What would be the best mix of LED for the best growth and color? I do have various LPS on the bottom of this tank.

OP
OP
Reef Breeders

Reef Breeders

ReefBreeders.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What are your recommendations for a 36" x 18" x 15" tank with 14" water hight? Tank is SPS Dominant. Would you run 2 smaller fixtures, or one larger one? What would be the best mix of LED for the best growth and color? I do have various LPS on the bottom of this tank.

I would do 36 XTEs, 18 7500k cool white, and 18 450nm royal blue, 6 red, 6 uv, 6 blue, and 6 greens on a 24" heat sink

creefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would do 36 XTEs, 18 7500k cool white, and 18 450nm royal blue, 6 red, 6 uv, 6 blue, and 6 greens on a 24" heat sink

I presume the intent is to run common colors on common drivers?? Then have a separate driver for the UV & Blue and separate for the Red and Green?

OP
OP
Reef Breeders

Reef Breeders

ReefBreeders.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I presume the intent is to run common colors on common drivers?? Then have a separate driver for the UV & Blue and separate for the Red and Green?
Yes, that exactly. 9 XT-Es per meanwell eln 60-48 d, that is the magic number, as they are 27v at 700 ma, and 45v at 1300ma, right in the drivers voltage range. I put all the colors on one, but you can do color specific if you wanted to.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 39 23.6%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 57 34.5%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 50 30.3%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 15 9.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.4%
Back