LED upgrade

Js.Aqua.Project

Reef Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So my 125 has had numerous lights over it, starting with MH that came with it (along with a huge power bill). Then not knowing any better (but originally running a FOWLR tank) using cheap marineland LEDs from PetSmart. Then MarsAqua black box LEDs and now finally, one of the last upgrades, Hydra 26HDs.

Original Mounting of MarsAquas on PVC: (I'm a broke teacher with an expensive hobby)
IMG_0001.JPG

Then with a canopy frame: (about 4 months after PVC frame)
IMG_20151004_161323-2.jpg

And now (drum roll) Hydra 26Hd with HMS rail system:
IMG_20171129_075211.jpg

Questions for all of you:
-How long do you set your acclimation time to within myAI?
-Is anyone running their Hydras with a similar setting to the BRS Investigates - Prime HD AB+ setting? What have you noticed in the tank?
-Is there a reason to alter the intensity/spectrum throughout the day rather than just a ramp up/down?

Thanks in advance.

SDboatguy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice upgrade ! A couple bits of advise ... IF you have corals, definitely use the acclimation feature. I would do a 40% drop for a month(it will increase the intensity gradually for you). Once you pick a setting for the lights , stick with it. Minor adjustments are OK ,but try to "set it and forget it". Stability is a lighting issue just as important as water chemistry. I don't use the AB+ settings,but have heard nothing but good things about it. And lastly, depending on what you stock the tank with, you may want/need more fixtures down the road. For reference , I run 26HDs (3) AND 4 T5s(48") on my 60x18x20 . I have 2 T5s on for 10 hours and all 4 T5s on for 5 hours during the LED peak. I run the hydras with 4 hour ramp up/down and 5 hours at peak.

OP
OP
Js.Aqua.Project

Js.Aqua.Project

Reef Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think I am slowly going to add more Hydras until I get to 6 to help with spread/intensity. I considered using 52s but I like the concept of being able to spread the 26s out further to get a more even spread.

Right now I have my acclimation set to 50% over 2 weeks, I will stretch that out to a month.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 101 86.3%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 6.8%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.6%
Back