LED upgrade

Discussion in 'Aquarium Lighting By Dana Riddle' started by Js.Aqua.Project, Nov 29, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Js.Aqua.Project

Js.Aqua.Project Reef Addict R2R Supporter Build Thread Contributor

So my 125 has had numerous lights over it, starting with MH that came with it (along with a huge power bill). Then not knowing any better (but originally running a FOWLR tank) using cheap marineland LEDs from PetSmart. Then MarsAqua black box LEDs and now finally, one of the last upgrades, Hydra 26HDs.

Original Mounting of MarsAquas on PVC: (I'm a broke teacher with an expensive hobby)
    IMG_0001.JPG
    Then with a canopy frame: (about 4 months after PVC frame)
    IMG_20151004_161323-2.jpg
    And now (drum roll) Hydra 26Hd with HMS rail system:
    IMG_20171129_075211.jpg

Questions for all of you:
    -How long do you set your acclimation time to within myAI?
    -Is anyone running their Hydras with a similar setting to the BRS Investigates - Prime HD AB+ setting? What have you noticed in the tank?
    -Is there a reason to alter the intensity/spectrum throughout the day rather than just a ramp up/down?

Thanks in advance.

S-t-r-e-t-c-h likes this.
    Tags:

2. SDboatguy

SDboatguy Active Member

Nice upgrade ! A couple bits of advise ... IF you have corals, definitely use the acclimation feature. I would do a 40% drop for a month(it will increase the intensity gradually for you). Once you pick a setting for the lights , stick with it. Minor adjustments are OK ,but try to "set it and forget it". Stability is a lighting issue just as important as water chemistry. I don't use the AB+ settings,but have heard nothing but good things about it. And lastly, depending on what you stock the tank with, you may want/need more fixtures down the road. For reference , I run 26HDs (3) AND 4 T5s(48") on my 60x18x20 . I have 2 T5s on for 10 hours and all 4 T5s on for 5 hours during the LED peak. I run the hydras with 4 hour ramp up/down and 5 hours at peak.

3. Js.Aqua.Project

Js.Aqua.Project Reef Addict R2R Supporter Build Thread Contributor

I think I am slowly going to add more Hydras until I get to 6 to help with spread/intensity. I considered using 52s but I like the concept of being able to spread the 26s out further to get a more even spread.

Right now I have my acclimation set to 50% over 2 weeks, I will stretch that out to a month.

Draft saved Draft deleted