Legion Aire's 34g Solana

Legion Aire

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is the acrylic rod rock structure I made early this spring. I used a heat gun to bend and shape the rod and epoxy and zip ties to secure the rock to the rod. I included a couple pics and a video of the finished product.

legion-aire-albums-rock-work-picture22914-dsc-0217.jpg

legion-aire-albums-rock-work-picture22915-dsc-0223.jpg

[video=youtube;ED6_IgYIw7s]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ED6_IgYIw7s&context=C3e45de7ADOEgsToPDskJO wJ68aeiKj4hXAi15SJ3-[/video]

OP
OP
Legion Aire

Legion Aire

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here are a few pics of my equipment and full tank shots, some of these pics are old since I figured I would start this from the beginning. I have since cut out the back factory installed sump and replaced it with a sump I purchased from Jonathan from Reefwerks, made by Steve Bashi. I am using a Reeflo Blowhole 1100 as my return pump. The sump is designed to hold my Deltec HOB skimmer, along with all my excess equipment. Steve made a custom probe holder for my various probes. The 4” sock holder is a really neat feature.

legion-aire-albums-equipment-picture22918-fullfront.jpg

legion-aire-albums-equipment-picture22923-topview.jpg

legion-aire-albums-equipment-picture22920-dsc-0011.jpg

legion-aire-albums-equipment-picture22921-dsc-0006.jpg

legion-aire-albums-equipment-picture22922-dsc-0007.jpg

legion-aire-albums-equipment-picture22917-dsc-0005.jpg

legion-aire-albums-equipment-picture22919-dsc-0244.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
Legion Aire

Legion Aire

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know my photography skills are not on the par of some of the other members, but I have only been doing this for about 2 months and still acquiring the necessary equipment, not to mention the mere skills needed for some of the more beautiful pics I have seen here. Here are a few other shots.

legion-aire-albums-critters-picture22930-dsc-0063.jpg

legion-aire-albums-critters-picture22943-dsc-0052.jpg

legion-aire-albums-critters-picture22944-dsc-0048.jpg

legion-aire-albums-critters-picture22945-dsc-0003.jpg

legion-aire-albums-critters-picture22946-dsc-0297.jpg

legion-aire-albums-critters-picture22947-dsc-0289.jpg

legion-aire-albums-critters-picture22948-dsc-0271.jpg

legion-aire-albums-critters-picture22949-dsc-0280.jpg

swannyson7

Moderator/Acro Aficianado
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice setup, I like the bonsai aquascape!

Aquaph8

Love The Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking good bud! looking forward to see it progress, please keep us updated on your progress. Nice job for sure.

akma

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice. Did you drill the back of the tank?

OP
OP
Legion Aire

Legion Aire

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah I did tear out the factory installed sump in the back of my Solana, which was a PITA, it ended up taking me the better part of the morning, with the use of a saw-zall. I do not yet have the coast to coast overflow so I am temporarily using a could of street elbows until I fit the skimmer onto the back of the aquarium. I drilled two, one inch holes through the tank to help support the acrylic box, similar to what gl*******s does for their boxes. I drilled four 3/4 holes for the return, which is a Reeflo blowhole set at its lowest setting 850gph I believe, pushed through a Oceans Motions Squirt. I am presently trying to upload some of the pics of the tank before it was refilled. Everything survived except for my fish, who found out how close he can get to the powerhead.

Sadly he is presently being replaced with a couple of clownfish.

OP
OP
Legion Aire

Legion Aire

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This was the drill plan, I drilled 6 holes in total, two 1†bulkheads for support and four returns. I ended up turning the two 1†support bulkheads into drains until I got the issue of my overflow box worked out. I ended up installing the overflow around Christmas, the custom back glass pane of the 34g Solana is cut to perfectly accommodate a Coast to Coast overflow.
DSC_0031.jpg

DSC_0030.jpg

This is with the Coast to Coast overflow installed.
DSC_0022.jpg

I used a piece of Stainless Steel to mount my controller components, I drilled and tapped all the holes and used stainless steel hardware to mount the various DA modules. I utilized a stick of Panduit wire raceway to help hide all the wires. Well this is where I am at, my Thanksgiving upgrade really never materialized in the fashion I was expecting. But then again without problems, life would be boring.
DSC_0018.jpg

The plumbing is hideous but because of the limited space, I am having issues even devising a plan of action to deal with it. It works quietly, and that is all I ever really wanted out of this upgrade.
DSC_0036.jpg

DSC_0027.jpg

I hate that I still have a glass pane on the top of my tank still, but soon enough. I am contemplating upgrading my stand along with the light arm. If I end up fabricating my own light arm I will probably design and build my stand this summer.

Left.jpg

front.jpg

Aquatic acrobat in your aquarium: Have you ever kept an eel?

• I currently keep an eel in my tank.

Votes: 28 14.6%
  • I have kept an eel in my tank in the past.

Votes: 32 16.7%
  • I have not kept an eel in my tank, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 33 17.2%
  • I have no plans to keep an eel.

Votes: 96 50.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.6%
Back