Leopard wrasse hiding for days after adding Melanurus.

SaltyT

Wrasse obsessed!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Her name is Digi
She's so small and cute! I think you made the right call rehoming the Mel. Because she's so small she could have succumbed to the stress if it kept going.

OP
OP
B

Bigreefer402

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
She's so small and cute! I think you made the right call rehoming the Mel. Because she's so small she could have succumbed to the stress if it kept going.
My thoughts exactly. Thank you for all your input. Happy reefing!

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update. I took the melanurus wrasse back and exchanged him for an exquisite wrasse. Everyone is friendly and happy now
I was going to suggest returning the Melanurus. Leopard wrasse, of any species, is a much rarer, hard to keep fish. It is a shame if you add a Melanurus and kill your healthy Leopard. I am not saying that Melanurus is not a beautiful wrasse, but you may want to add a tiny juvenile melanurus, and let him grow up. That way he won't bother your leopard. This is my Vrolik's wrasse. Added as a 1 inch juvenile (sold to me as a Melanurus) and here he is after 2 years
MelanurusWrasse2018062101.png
MelanurusWrasse2020080405.jpg
MelanurusWrasse2020112501.jpg

OP
OP
B

Bigreefer402

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was going to suggest returning the Melanurus. Leopard wrasse, of any species, is a much rarer, hard to keep fish. It is a shame if you add a Melanurus and kill your healthy Leopard. I am not saying that Melanurus is not a beautiful wrasse, but you may want to add a tiny juvenile melanurus, and let him grow up. That way he won't bother your leopard. This is my Vrolik's wrasse. Added as a 1 inch juvenile (sold to me as a Melanurus) and here he is after 2 years
MelanurusWrasse2018062101.png
MelanurusWrasse2020080405.jpg
MelanurusWrasse2020112501.jpg
Ya when I returned the big male I was looking to get a small female or tiny male but they didn’t have any so I got an exquisite wrasse. Such a shame the melanurus was super cool.

OP
OP
B

Bigreefer402

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Such a beauty. Can’t wait until my baby is all grown.
That is a M. meleagris. The common leopard wrasse.so do you have
So did you have other leopards that made her change to a male? Or do both male and female look the same as juveniles then the dna changes them or do they need other leopard wrasses to make the change?

OP
OP
B

Bigreefer402

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So did you have other leopards that made her change to a male? Or do both male and female look the same as juveniles then the dna changes them or do they need other leopard wrasses to make the change?

Attachments

• FullSizeRender.MOV
    92.8 MB

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Leopard wrasse, like a lot of other wrasse are protogynous hermaphrodites. These fish are juveniles then female then male. growth and nutrition play a big role in when sex change occur, and (perhaps) lack of inhibitions from dominate males. I do not believe that the se change in wrasse are reversible.

OP
OP
B

Bigreefer402

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Leopard wrasse, like a lot of other wrasse are protogynous hermaphrodites. These fish are juveniles then female then male. growth and nutrition play a big role in when sex change occur, and (perhaps) lack of inhibitions from dominate males. I do not believe that the se change in wrasse are reversible.
awesome info, i can tell you i've had her for a couple months now and she was maybe and inch and a half when i got her and looked awesome. now she is a little over 2 inches and everyday is so fat from all the amphipods and copepods she eats. hopefully she will change to male.

rcillig

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
every time I add a fish my leopard hides for about a week give or take.... now i can laugh but the first few times I was on pins and needles wondering what the heck!

Steve and his Animals

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't know if it's a direct sex change or just an appearance change, but I've had wrasses appear to reverse sex back into a female if they are very non-dominant in the tank. Had a male bird wrasse (full green) revert into female coloration after being kept with angry triggers and tangs for about a year. Saw the same thing happen with a male pink square anthias appear to revert to an all-orange female.

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In some species of fish/animals the hermaphrodites are reversible, while other species, the change is irreversible.

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 3 4.2%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 42 58.3%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 20 27.8%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 5 6.9%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 2 2.8%
Back