Leopard wrasse is acting weird this morning

Klag

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Labored breathing and laying on side. Any advice?

IMG_3636.jpeg IMG_5268.jpeg

Attachments

• 73332983814__A97550F6-D01F-4745-84F2-4B103F65864A.mov
    5.8 MB

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What is “normal” acclimation? That could mean different things to different people. These are rather sensitive fish.
They do normally burrow in the sand, and can look dead/dying when really just sleeping, but the heavy breathing has me concerned.
Are all other fish are acting normal?

OP
OP
K

Klag

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What is “normal” acclimation? That could mean different things to different people. These are rather sensitive fish.
They do normally burrow in the sand, and can look dead/dying when really just sleeping, but the heavy breathing has me concerned.
Are all other fish are acting normal?
Didn't do an acclimation box, just a slow temperature and salinity acclimation then put right in. My LFS said they have more success this way than with acclimation boxes.

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Didn't do an acclimation box, just a slow temperature and salinity acclimation then put right in. My LFS said they have more success this way than with acclimation boxes.
So no quarantine done for this fish? Is it still eating? Can you post a 20 sec white light video?

OP
OP
K

Klag

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So no quarantine done for this fish? Is it still eating? Can you post a 20 sec white light video?

No quarantine on my end. But she was out, eating, and active at my LFS for over a week. She is in a cave, so I can't get a better video

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry, I couldn’t get a respiration rate from the video. The fish is moribund, actively dying. I’m sorry, but there isn’t likely anything you can do for it.

To be honest, I avoid buying leopard wrasse - they are just too delicate after going through the typical supply chain.

Jay

OP
OP
K

Klag

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry, I couldn’t get a respiration rate from the video. The fish is moribund, actively dying. I’m sorry, but there isn’t likely anything you can do for it.

To be honest, I avoid buying leopard wrasse - they are just too delicate after going through the typical supply chain.

Jay
The fish did end up dying. She was active, eating, and out for almost the whole week we have had her. So I thought her odds were good. My LFS has one in their display and I just really like them, it’s unfortunate

steveschuerger

I love Gonis and Euphyllia. Maybe too much
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry to hear about your Leopard. I have one myself and consider myself lucky that that mine his for a day and has been out and active since. I do think having a fairly mature tank with things it can hunt(pods) is important, as well a good variety of frozen

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
The fish did end up dying. She was active, eating, and out for almost the whole week we have had her. So I thought her odds were good. My LFS has one in their display and I just really like them, it’s unfortunate
Just - as a comment - since its a little unclear what it died of - I would watch other fish, as well as new fish added for any disease.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
These fish dont ship well especially if thin at shipping and at minimum, an observation tank with a small bowl of sand is recommended over an acclimation box to get it used to both eating and tank water. These fish are prone to internal issues and flukes and should be treated with PraziPro at minimum to strengthen them prior to introduction in display tank.

OP
OP
K

Klag

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
These fish dont ship well especially if thin at shipping and at minimum, an observation tank with a small bowl of sand is recommended over an acclimation box to get it used to both eating and tank water. These fish are prone to internal issues and flukes and should be treated with PraziPro at minimum to strengthen them prior to introduction in display tank.
Thank you for the advice, if I try again at some point, I'll attempt a setup similar to this.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
BTW - sorry for the loss of the fish.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 33 16.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 26 12.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 119 58.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 13 6.4%
Back