Leopard Wrasse. only experts??

mfinn

likes zoanthids
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
I like one dose methylene blue, remove it through wc and carbon, then follow up with two doses of prazi. I go sandless the first three days so it can get used to the lighting schedule, and I can make sure it is feeding well, then after three days I add a tupperware container of sand.
how much methylene blue per gallon of tank water, for how long @eatbreakfast ?

Is it for the 3 days without the sand?

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't remember the directions on dosage, but I halve it, I think one drop per two gallons, let it go for 24 hrs, than do a wc and add carbon for 24hrs.

dewboy1127

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Curious when treating wrasse who dwell in the sand if they were not to come out would medications still effect them under sand ?...this may be a silly question but dont know and thought others may wonder as well

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Curious when treating wrasse who dwell in the sand if they were not to come out would medications still effect them under sand ?...this may be a silly question but dont know and thought others may wonder as well
It still is effective. The medication is carried by the water, which is also how the oxygen they breathe is carried, so if they can breathe under the sand(they can), then medicine still works too.

mfinn

likes zoanthids
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
I don't remember the directions on dosage, but I halve it, I think one drop per two gallons, let it go for 24 hrs, than do a wc and add carbon for 24hrs.
Wonder how long the shelf life is of methylene blue.
Found a bottle that I have had for 10 years or more.

anizato

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am no expert, but I do pay a lot of attention and have 3 buckets full of pods that allow me to dose my tank with hundreds of pods a month. I have a couple of Bipartitus Leopard Wrasse in my 45g. They only live with a Lawnmower Blenny and 2 Clownfish.
One of the Leopard Wrasse was introduced into the tank with a SUPER long acclimation period of about 5 hours, floating in the tank and dripping simultaneously. He was the size of a Nickel when I got him, which is why I took so long to acclimate him, also for the clownfish to realize what was happening. I got them from a local vendor, not a store, but a supplier that quarantines them before he hands them to me.
At first he ONLY ate pods in the tank. I prepared the tank by over dosing with pods two weeks before, to the point where I depleted 2 of my 3 buckets (like a million in total). It took him about 2 months of picking at the rock while ignoring the other 3 fish eating pellets every morning, but now he eats pellets just as much as the other big fish. He is growing well. You can see a video of him on my instagram @anizatoreef ...or not :)
I say get them, but just be prepared with backup foods and some pods for sure and keep an eye on their daily behavior. They DO need a deeper-than-regular sand bed 4"+ They sleep in it every evening, so it is their bed. Don't lose your patience. Be a good dad (; Hope this helps.

Last edited:

Crimsonvice

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had many leopards, and my best advise is to only buy them from a local store, do not purchase from an online vendor. Make sure the specimen you're looking at is eating prepared foods at the fish store. Pellets are best, but frozen food at the very least. Do not buy it if you do not see it eat enthusiastically. If it's not eating at the LFS, it will likely die in your tank.

I don't know if you've got a sand bed in your tank, but they do need it. I would also keep a lid over the tank, as they're known jumpers. Once you've got that all figured out, they're really beautiful fish! Here are mine...

40a3f26f-299f-442e-b36b-7a5a4d9a844a_zpstiwjczpt.jpg
Which wrasse are these? Potter's, Leopard,...

Triggreef

Zoa Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am no expert, but I do pay a lot of attention and have 3 buckets full of pods that allow me to dose my tank with hundreds of pods a month. I have a couple of Bipartitus Leopard Wrasse in my 45g. They only live with a Lawnmower Blenny and 2 Clownfish.
One of the Leopard Wrasse was introduced into the tank with a SUPER long acclimation period of about 5 hours, floating in the tank and dripping simultaneously. He was the size of a Nickel when I got him, which is why I took so long to acclimate him, also for the clownfish to realize what was happening. I got them from a local vendor, not a store, but a supplier that quarantines them before he hands them to me.
At first he ONLY ate pods in the tank. I prepared the tank by over dosing with pods two weeks before, to the point where I depleted 2 of my 3 buckets (like a million in total). It took him about 2 months of picking at the rock while ignoring the other 3 fish eating pellets every morning, but now he eats pellets just as much as the other big fish. He is growing well. You can see a video of him on my instagram @anizatoreef ...or not :)
I say get them, but just be prepared with backup foods and some pods for sure and keep an eye on their daily behavior. They DO need a deeper-than-regular sand bed 4"+ They sleep in it every evening, so it is their bed. Don't lose your patience. Be a good dad (; Hope this helps.

Just very curious about the 3 buckets of pods you keep and all that is involved with it. Sounds interesting.

Lmdw121

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi.

i want to buy a couple of Leopard Wrasse.
are they that hard to keep?? liveaquaria says "only Experts".. and im not that expert yet haha

if i buy them they will live in a 95g tank...! with 2 clowns.. and soon 2 cardinal bangai.

let me know your opinion

upload_2016-1-6_21-1-27.png
We have a leopard wrasse and I forgot what kind the other one is. They are doing great! Have had the leopard about month and the other just a couple of weeks. They are very active and are quite fun to watch.

image.jpg

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 42 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 23.1%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 27 20.1%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 34 25.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back