Leopard wrasse question

CoralClasher

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This last Tuesday was my birthday my wife surprised me with three new fish!! I'm not sure if they are a good addition to my tank? I have a 120 gallon reef with a 55 gallon refugium. No sand in the DT is what I'm wondering about? Do leopard wrasses need sand? And will they get along with the other fishes? Fox face, purple tang, yellow tang, powder brown tang, three clown fish, two red stoplight Cardinal, splendid dotty back, blenny and a six line wrasse.
image.jpg
IMG_0648.JPG
IMG_0649.JPG

siggy

My Aquariums Going Again
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This last Tuesday was my birthday my wife surprised me with three new fish!!
Another lucky dog! :cool:
I had a puka shell base (3-years is now v-coarse sand) and my leopard didn't last long. I seen ppl put sand in a plastic tub, hey @Scurvy does that realy work?

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
They need sand and hiding places and are good community fish

birthday3.jpg

Scurvy

Pirate Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Another lucky dog! :cool:
I had a puka shell base (3-years is now v-coarse sand) and my leopard didn't last long. I seen ppl put sand in a plastic tub, hey @Scurvy does that realy work?
It can but I found the sand usually winds up all over the tank anyway. I kept a Radiant in a tub for a while. I have a couple of wrasse dens I plan to try it with again eventually. They provide a little more protection from flow than an open top container does.

Scurvy

Pirate Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe it's time to add the deep sand bed? I pulled the shallow sand bed two years ago and added a deep sand bed in the refugium 8 months ago.
If I had three leopards show up at my house I’d probably figure a way to section off an entire back corner of my tank and add an inch a half to two inches of sand and see what happened. I wouldn’t be able to pass on them if they just appeared on me :)

Cment

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is crushed coral fine for wrasses?
image.jpg
image.jpg
No they need fine sand to dive into when stressed or sleeping. Crush coral can possibly cut their skin leading to a bacterial infection. I would also feed general cure and focus for 10-14days bc leopards are prone to internal parasites and waste away after time. These guys can become very hardy fish if taken care of properly. Multiple feeds a day, I feed at least 3x day, and a good fuge with lots of pods will keep them well fed.

Cment

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Leopards can handle copper but are more sensitive. Ramp it up slower over the course of 7 days or so and they should be fine.

OP
OP
CoralClasher

CoralClasher

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No they need fine sand to dive into when stressed or sleeping. Crush coral can possibly cut their skin leading to a bacterial infection. I would also feed general cure and focus for 10-14days bc leopards are prone to internal parasites and waste away after time. These guys can become very hardy fish if taken care of properly. Multiple feeds a day, I feed at least 3x day, and a good fuge with lots of pods will keep them well fed.
Yeah that's what I was thinking too. Maybe I could use this crushed coral to keep the fine sand in one spot? They are in QT with GC and soaked food. They seem very happy and eating good for me. I don't think I'll run them through copper I've transferred three times now into new QT.

bwomac44

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1 on the treating with metroplex/general cure + focus. My leopards poop used to be pretty white so I went ahead and treated everyone in the tank
Imo crushed coral may be fine. I have the medium size aragonite and they’re healthy.
They’re relatively tough, adaptable creatures in my opinion. Maybe crushed and medium or even fine, but it doesn’t need to be totally “fine”. Medium works well for mine and it’s what I’d recommend
They only need an inch or so of sand (the sand will be deeper in some places from the current and that is where they will go to sleep/hide. I have 1&1/2” of sand I’d say and they sleep in an area that’s about 3”
I would almost be worried going too deep as maybe they’d eventually disturb a toxic area of the DSB

They’re the coolest fish. Nice to see you accommodating your tank to their needs!
Here’s a couple pics of mine
2 Blue Stars (I’m sure one will turn male in time)
98D7FF60-9CF0-4BCF-B3DD-6AD88D14A6FF.jpeg
A1805E69-C8A6-4846-BC2E-6A93F8884F98.jpeg
CC22CB74-04C9-4BE8-92E6-ACE68B85F0FC.jpeg

Cment

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sand up to 2mm will work, larger than that they sometimes can’t bury properly. I would look into a wrasse den or a large tubberware filled with sand

bwomac44

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
-1 on Tupperware. They will blow that all around the aquarium.
Mine dive in my sand looking for food (stirs up microfauna). They do this dozens of times a day. That would be a terrible mess
I did do that in my observational qt though (before they would dive for food) and it was okay for that purpose
53596311-05C2-40A8-9E8E-0DC51115F06A.jpeg

If you’ve done tank transfer I’m sure you’re fine. I did no med observational and they were good to go after 6 weeks. Other than the fact I should have treated for internal parasites as a precaution.

Pbh-reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
pop eye can come from flukes or injury leading to a possible bacterial infection. Pop eye from injury or bacterial infection can be treated with epsom salt, which is a pretty mild medication. Here’s the info from a Humblefish post-

Epsom Salt: Treats eye and other injuries. Popeye in one eye usually means injury, but popeye in both eyes usually denotes a bacterial infection requiring antibiotic treatment. Cloudy eye can be a bacterial infection or flukes.

How To Treat - 1 tablespoon per 5 gallons of aquarium water. Repeat only once, if necessary. Use only “USP” grade Epsom salt.

If it is flukes you’ll need to do Prazi or general cure. A fw dip can confirm flukes, my limited experience is that wrasse can be sensitive to fw dips so I advise making sure the water is heavily oxygenated.

OP
OP
CoralClasher

CoralClasher

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
pop eye can come from flukes or injury leading to a possible bacterial infection. Pop eye from injury or bacterial infection can be treated with epsom salt, which is a pretty mild medication. Here’s the info from a Humblefish post-

Epsom Salt: Treats eye and other injuries. Popeye in one eye usually means injury, but popeye in both eyes usually denotes a bacterial infection requiring antibiotic treatment. Cloudy eye can be a bacterial infection or flukes.

How To Treat - 1 tablespoon per 5 gallons of aquarium water. Repeat only once, if necessary. Use only “USP” grade Epsom salt.

If it is flukes you’ll need to do Prazi or general cure. A fw dip can confirm flukes, my limited experience is that wrasse can be sensitive to fw dips so I advise making sure the water is heavily
Looks like some fin rot and tail is split
IMG_0664.JPG
IMG_0665.JPG
IMG_0666.JPG

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 42 16.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 16 6.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 11.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 150 58.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 7.4%
Back