Lessons Learned - Switching to Calcium Reactor from Dosing 2 Part

ScottB

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Scott - so sorry to hear about the cracked CaRX! Bummer!!!

Recently added a doser Kalk solution to also get pH higher. I’m just using a 3 gallon jug with 2 tsp of Kalk and dosing 20 ml throughout the day. Wondering if Kalk stirrer would be more effective?
I hear mixed opinions, but went this way due to the volume of solution I am dosing while the lights are out. I have been slowly ramping up each night. Think I am now around 1500ml from 8pm to 8am. Comes out to 26ml every few minutes.

I got the Reef Octo 250 which is about 6.5gallons loaded with 180grams of KALK. I have managed to raise the pH floor to just under 8. Still figuring it out, honestly. I have to go slow and keep checking my ALK and adjusting the 2 Part dosing as well.

1625335653659.png

OP
OP
PeterC99

PeterC99

Solarbenchmark.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmm, I'm in the process of making the switch and I'm a bit daunted.
We are here for you - which is a lot different than going on your own!

Talk us through your switch. Will tell you pros and cons on different decisions.

Bottom line - once CARX is setup and you find its equilibrium, I’m not touching it.

ScottB

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmm, I'm in the process of making the switch and I'm a bit daunted.
I was daunted as well. But I was sick of mixing 4 gallon buckets of ESV every month and was ready for something new.

They have a few moving parts you have to figure out but once you have your hands on the stuff it makes sense. When I restart I will make some different decisions next time: A quality regulator like CarbonDoser or Masterflex. And a second reaction chamber to raise effluent pH.

These things do take up a fair amount of space, so plan accordingly.

Did somebody say ESV buckets?
IMG-4302.jpg

OP
OP
PeterC99

PeterC99

Solarbenchmark.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was daunted as well. But I was sick of mixing 4 gallon buckets of ESV every month and was ready for something new.

They have a few moving parts you have to figure out but once you have your hands on the stuff it makes sense. When I restart I will make some different decisions next time: A quality regulator like CarbonDoser or Masterflex. And a second reaction chamber to raise effluent pH.

These things do take up a fair amount of space, so plan accordingly.

Did somebody say ESV buckets?
IMG-4302.jpg
+1 on the CarbonDoser and second chamber!

Understand the move away from 2 part - you must have some Alk/Calc demand!

ScottB

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1 on the CarbonDoser and second chamber!

Understand the move away from 2 part - you must have some Alk/Calc demand!
It got pretty silly there for a while between a loaded display (140g) and frag system (300g). But it is more manageable now after I got rid of acres of monti, stylo, and overgrown acro colonies like this one below. I am now pretty much "back to frags" so I have some time to sort out the busted CaRx. But 24 months from now consumption should be chugging again with some fancier sticks this time around (fingers crossed).

IMG-4750.JPG

OP
OP
PeterC99

PeterC99

Solarbenchmark.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It got pretty silly there for a while between a loaded display (140g) and frag system (300g). But it is more manageable now after I got rid of acres of monti, stylo, and overgrown acro colonies like this one below. I am now pretty much "back to frags" so I have some time to sort out the busted CaRx. But 24 months from now consumption should be chugging again with some fancier sticks this time around (fingers crossed).

IMG-4750.JPG

Spectacular!!!

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back