Lessons learned

If you could change 1 thing from reefing lessons learned, what would it be?

• Build/set-up change

Votes: 21 65.6%
  • Quarantining change

Votes: 4 12.5%
  • Equipment change

Votes: 9 28.1%
  • Fish/invert choice change

Votes: 6 18.8%
  • Other

Votes: 1 3.1%

• Total voters

MamaP

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We've all made mistakes with builds/set-ups/quarantining/equipment, etc. Based on your lessons learned, if you could change one thing, knowing what you know now, what would that be?

I did a TON of research before beginning my saltwater aquarium adventure, but I would probably still change several things, from my set-up to equipment to quarantining! It's hard to pick just one!

What are some of your lessons learned?

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would start with T5 or halide lighting and real ocean rock like KP.

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd make a more defined livestock plan so I dont go buy every coral in sight and decide later I dont want it in my display.

Gup

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I actually decided the same thing months ago when I was only 3 months into my reef, because I had a serious injury. I was unable to do the necessary husbandry.

I lost a couple fish & every coral. So I combed the internet fish and coral companies. I put together a list of fish & corals I love and will buy only them going forward

ZoWhat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would change how I took the bait when a LFS sales clerk say, "setting up a saltwater tank is easy"

Dumb And Dumber Puke GIF

Gup

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had my first SW FO tank 40+ years ago. And I had spent mmonths reading Aquarium Magazine & another one, I forget at the moment. I had basic knowledge when I started and it paid dividends.

Now, with the internet, it is easier, but that does not mean it's necessarily easy.

Tonyreeffish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Choices in equiptment for sure. I wish i wouldve gone with high quality right off the bat and known where i would end up. Instead i have a garage full of random crap Ive used over the years.

Jedi1199

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I chose "equipment"...

I made all of the same classic newbie mistakes 30 years ago when I first attempted salt water. I bought the cheapest I could get and relied on the LFS to give good advice. (ugghhhhh)

This time around I went with a more educated approach. However I still find myself in a position where I wish I had done some things different. Specifically when it comes to lighting.

I converted my 55g tank from a FW goldfish tank to a SW mixed reef. My original thought process was to use the light I had on the FW tank for a while till I started getting corals that needed a better light.

I am now on my 3rd light setup on this tank (including the original FW light) and I am STILL not happy with it. The first replacement was ultra controllable, but the intensity was garbage. The current setup is bright, but has no controllability. I have already spent half of what I would have spent if I had just waited and gotten high quality lights from the start.

Last edited:

davidcalgary29

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can't regret everything that I've learned from buying used equipment -- the good, and the bad (don't buy used MP wetsides without getting pictures of the complete disassembly!), so that wouldn't be it.

I think my biggest lesson learned is to follow through with sound plans and not to become complacent. I had a QT tank running for seven months, but it was unsightly and unoccupied for months. I finally took it down just as I was setting up my Reefer 350, filled the new tank with fish from different pre-quarantined sources...and then watched half of them die over the course of a week. Of something. I should've still run all the new inhabitants through a course of copper in the QT.

rtparty

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
All the above, but...

There are at least three major things I wish I could get everyone to listen to. 1) Find your mentor. 2) Plan your tank around maintenance. Making maintenance easy means it gets done. 3) Given enough time every coral we add to our tank becomes a pest. Choose your pests wisely.

Jedi1199

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
2) Plan your tank around maintenance. Making maintenance easy means it gets done.

+1, +2, +3.....

Maintenance is probably the single most neglected chore in this hobby. The smallest nano tank to the largest giant tank, ALL require a certain level of maintenance. It is up to us, as the keepers of the tank to remain diligent on the maintenance schedule. Life is busy, but the fish are unaware of our plight. They need us to do what needs doing in order to be happy and healthy.

OP
OP
MamaP

MamaP

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can't regret everything that I've learned from buying used equipment -- the good, and the bad (don't buy used MP wetsides without getting pictures of the complete disassembly!), so that wouldn't be it.

I think my biggest lesson learned is to follow through with sound plans and not to become complacent. I had a QT tank running for seven months, but it was unsightly and unoccupied for months. I finally took it down just as I was setting up my Reefer 350, filled the new tank with fish from different pre-quarantined sources...and then watched half of them die over the course of a week. Of something. I should've still run all the new inhabitants through a course of copper in the QT.
Wow. That's a tough one. Sorry you went thru that. My best purchase by far was a used light I bought from someone here on R2R. Wish I had spent the money to buy more of them instead of buying a bunch of coral that did awesome under it when it was on my frag tank but died when I moved them all to my DT, thanks to my crappy light on it... -.-

OP
OP
MamaP

MamaP

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All the above, but...

There are at least three major things I wish I could get everyone to listen to. 1) Find your mentor. 2) Plan your tank around maintenance. Making maintenance easy means it gets done. 3) Given enough time every coral we add to our tank becomes a pest. Choose your pests wisely.
Great advice!!

davidcalgary29

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow. That's a tough one. Sorry you went thru that. My best purchase by far was a used light I bought from someone here on R2R. Wish I had spent the money to buy more of them instead of buying a bunch of coral that did awesome under it when it was on my frag tank but died when I moved them all to my DT, thanks to my crappy light on it... -.-
I don't think that the sellers had any clue that they were passing on potential problems to me, so I'm not holding it against them. And yes, that happened to me with two different wetsides: one for a MP40, and one for a MP10. The upside has been that I've now learned a great deal about the internal mechanics of Ecotech powerheads. :)

OP
OP
MamaP

MamaP

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1, +2, +3.....

Maintenance is probably the single most neglected chore in this hobby. The smallest nano tank to the largest giant tank, ALL require a certain level of maintenance. It is up to us, as the keepers of the tank to remain diligent on the maintenance schedule. Life is busy, but the fish are unaware of our plight. They need us to do what needs doing in order to be happy and healthy.
Very true! I'm definitely guilty of letting it go at times. My hubby and son will pick up the slack with the dogs and cats, but not with the fish. I get the "you wanted it" or "it's your hobby" excuses. :(

Jedi1199

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very true! I'm definitely guilty of letting it go at times. My hubby and son will pick up the slack with the dogs and cats, but not with the fish. I get the "you wanted it" or "it's your hobby" excuses. :(
So the question is.. are they making excuses to you, or are you making excuses to yourself?

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 73 37.8%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 66 34.2%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 13.0%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 14.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.5%
Back