Let’s talk tactics - super glue

Formulator

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Joined
Apr 14, 2024
Messages
2,706
Reaction score
2,759
Location
Saint Louis, MO, USA
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hear folks recommend superglue gel for gluing frag plugs to rock many times. I’ve tried several brands and I just don’t get it… They don’t stick to anything other than my fingers or whatever tool I’m trying to use. I’ve even tried the famous superglue-putty-superglue sandwich, but still no dice! So, what’s the secret? Can someone please explain exactly how they use superglue to attach frag plugs to wet rock in the tank?
 
A generous dollop.
Then hold in tank water in a cup to create a “skin” over the dollop for 60 seconds.
Hold to rock work for 2 minutes, then 1/8” twist, make any further adjustments, another minute then carefully remove fingers.
Let set for 1 hour no flow.
 
A generous dollop.
Then hold in tank water in a cup to create a “skin” over the dollop for 60 seconds.
Hold to rock work for 2 minutes, then 1/8” twist, make any further adjustments, another minute then carefully remove fingers.
Let set for 1 hour no flow.
Thank you! Exactly what I was looking for. I was not holding long enough. I figured 15-20 seconds would do it since thats all it takes in air…
 
I’ve always used BSI gel, put a pea size amount on the back of the frag, place on surface and rub around to break the ‘skin’ when it’s exposed to water. Hold it in place for a minute or so until it stays put

And use a Qip or something to clean the surface of the in-tank rock first. If it’s slimy or something the glues gonna come right off
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 6 4.3%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 10 7.2%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 26 18.7%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 47 33.8%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 1 0.7%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 10 7.2%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 10 7.2%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 20 14.4%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 9 6.5%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new