Let Me ID Your Wrasse!

  • Thread starter Thread starter evolved
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None
Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks so much for helping me out yet again. I imagine it gets old identifying fish, but the help you provide by lending your expertise is very much appreciated.
 
Thanks so much for helping me out yet again. I imagine it gets old identifying fish, but the help you provide by lending your expertise is very much appreciated.
My pleasure. Actually, IDs are kinda fun. :)
 
I have another wrasse I need identified!! Has three dots on the beginning, middle and end of dorsal fin. Bought as yellow coris but curious as to gender.
2ed9fc60ab792312a3dc8e884e0c4eaf.jpg
 
I have another wrasse I need identified!! Has three dots on the beginning, middle and end of dorsal fin. Bought as yellow coris but curious as to gender.
2ed9fc60ab792312a3dc8e884e0c4eaf.jpg
Halichoeres chrysus, and still female.
 
Picked up this a while ago ... The tank just said Fairy Wrasse ?? So hard to get a good pic of
b7f7e6c2a31cd08bcb895f9c6ec7be06.jpg
 
Picked up this a while ago ... The tank just said Fairy Wrasse ?? So hard to get a good pic of
b7f7e6c2a31cd08bcb895f9c6ec7be06.jpg
Male Cirrhilabrus cyanopleura, blue-sided fairy wrasse.
 
Hi people,

I'm looking for an ID on this guy, please? Sent as H. biocellatus, but I have my doubts and suspect H. ornatissimus. He's currently about 4" long.

Where did you get it? I've seen retailers offering redlines but the stock photo is an ornate, which is why I haven't bought one yet.
 
Where did you get it? I've seen retailers offering redlines but the stock photo is an ornate, which is why I haven't bought one yet.

I'm almost half way around the world from you, in South Africa. He's from Tropical Marine Center in the UK. I'm just looking after him for a while. He arrived at a local store with some slight balance issues, probably damaged / bruised his swim bladder during shipping. I brought him home to recover away from the hustle and bustle of the store, because me QT was empty and I know the store owner. He's pretty much fully recovered now and will probably be going back in a week's time.
 
Picked up this scotts at my lfs tn they said its from fiji but looks like the cook islands one to me. Any idea?
20170721_192359 by joe bonomo, on Flickr
No, it can't be from the Cooks with the black present in the dorsal. The fin patterns actually best match specimens from American Samoa, but that's pretty close to Fiji.
TJ (@eatbreakfast) might know more than I one this one.
 
Hello everyone, had this guy close to two years. He is in a 90 mixed with a Tomini Tang and purple puedochromis at the moment. Terrific fish, very entertaining and peaceful fish, I just can't for the life of me remember the name. I would like to add another wrasse or two in the future. Any comparability issues with this species?

IMG_0362.JPG


IMG_0373.JPG
 
Hello everyone, had this guy close to two years. He is in a 90 mixed with a Tomini Tang and purple puedochromis at the moment. Terrific fish, very entertaining and peaceful fish, I just can't for the life of me remember the name. I would like to add another wrasse or two in the future. Any comparability issues with this species?

IMG_0362.JPG


IMG_0373.JPG
Halichoeres hortulanus
Pretty peaceful fish to mix with other wrasses, however this species does get large and will readily consume motile inverts when mature.
 
No, it can't be from the Cooks with the black present in the dorsal. The fin patterns actually best match specimens from American Samoa, but that's pretty close to Fiji.
TJ (@eatbreakfast) might know more than I one this one.
Thanks for the help. The thing that is throwing me off is the red circular mark. Do the Fiji specimens also get that i couldn't seem to find a picture?
 
Thanks for the help. The thing that is throwing me off is the red circular mark. Do the Fiji specimens also get that i couldn't seem to find a picture?
The red spot on the side? That's a characteristic of the species, regardless of region. However, scottorum always fades in captivity, and that red spot is one of the first markings to go. :(
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 1 4.0%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 6 24.0%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 6 24.0%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 5 20.0%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 6 24.0%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 1 4.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new