Status
Not open for further replies.

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can't believe LA is giving me grief about this. They say they can't ID it positively unless I send a picture with white lights. SMH.
Sorry to hear that. When you send the pic of your fish you should also send. Their stock pic of the melanurus and the chrysotaenia with their tails circled.

saltyhog

blowing bubbles somewhere
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I sent them the picture posted above and quoted their own description regarding the caudal fin markings. They want to see a white light picture "because it's impossible to make a positive ID with the blue light". I wouldn't have thought coloration would be a definitive help with these two species.

Maritimer

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn't think so ... but it's a decent delaying tactic, and possibly a "canned" response from a customer service rep who doesn't know the fish themselves, but will pass the request along to someone who does - if the customer doesn't just give up.

~Bruce

mfinn

likes zoanthids
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
This a google image, not sure of the source, but this is what I thought the ornate females looked like.

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's what I thought.
I thought the females were red/orange with a faint light blue color.
The more telling way is by the facial markings and spotting pattern. As a juvenile the facial markings are smaller spots and as they mature the facial markings elongate to give a more striated appearance. The body spotting also becomes more 'organized'.

OP
OP
evolved

evolved

[email protected]
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's what I thought.
I thought the females were red/orange with a faint light blue color.
It's much more about patterns than colors with this species.
This a google image, not sure of the source, but this is what I thought the ornate females looked like.

That's actually a male. ;)
The more telling way is by the facial markings and spotting pattern. As a juvenile the facial markings are smaller spots and as they mature the facial markings elongate to give a more striated appearance. The body spotting also becomes more 'organized'.
Right.
Perhaps some images for illustration?

These are holotypes (dead fish) obviously, but should still give you a good idea as to what to look for.

Male:
Maorn_m0.jpg

Female:
Maorn_f1.jpg

And here's a female in the wild, to provide some contrast to the male mfinn posted/quoted above:
051677F000387W000008.jpg

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is this a male or female? Also cant leopard wrasses change sex as they mature?
IMG_1958.JPG
IMG_1953.JPG
It's a female M. meleagris. Yes, leopards can transition, but aren't as reliable about it as fairy, flasher, and Halichoeres wrasses.

GBRsouth

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello @evolved and @eatbreakfast,

I recently finished reading through this thread and the wrasse lovers thread. I want to thank you both for sharing your knowledge and thank everyone else for asking and answering questions too. Before reading these two threads I knew very little about wrasses at all. But your patient answering of repeated questions has served well to hammer through my brains density! I have learnt so much from you all.

Thank you!

Mick.

OREGONIC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I recently finished reading through this thread and the wrasse lovers thread. I want to thank you both for sharing your knowledge and thank everyone else for asking and answering questions too. Before reading these two threads I knew very little about wrasses at all. But your patient answering of repeated questions has served well to hammer through my brains density! I have learnt so much from you all.

Thank you!

Mick.

I agree, I started reading through this thread today aswell. I posted a photo earlier before i realized how many pages this thread was which had been asked before and still got a prompt answer. You guys are dedicated. Thank you and cant wait to finish reading it all.

OP
OP
evolved

evolved

[email protected]
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Thank you!

Mick.
Thank you!
And there's also this too:
https://www.reef2reef.com/ams/all-about-reef-safe-wrasses-in-aquaria.28/
I agree, I started reading through this thread today aswell. I posted a photo earlier before i realized how many pages this thread was which had been asked before and still got a prompt answer. You guys are dedicated. Thank you and cant wait to finish reading it all.
It's my [our] pleasure; you're very welcome.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 17 17.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 5 5.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 17 17.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 53 53.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 8.0%
Back