OP
evolved

evolved

[email protected]
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the help. The thing that is throwing me off is the red circular mark. Do the Fiji specimens also get that i couldn't seem to find a picture?
The red spot on the side? That's a characteristic of the species, regardless of region. However, scottorum always fades in captivity, and that red spot is one of the first markings to go. :(

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No, it can't be from the Cooks with the black present in the dorsal. The fin patterns actually best match specimens from American Samoa, but that's pretty close to Fiji.
TJ (@eatbreakfast) might know more than I one this one.
Looks like the Fiji variant to me. They have been coming in pretty regularly.

2una

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Guys -time for me to call on your thoughts
Would you id that as Isosceles or not?

36033192472_4d958cecdc_b.jpg

ascheff

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi @evolved , @eatbreakfast , et al,

I'd like to get a positive ID on this guy, please?

He was sent as a katherinae from the Philippines, but I've read in earlier posts in this thread that they are often confused with temminckii. I need to be sure I'm getting the former, as he'd be going in with a few other Cirrhilabrus - lineatus, isosceles, lubbocki - as well as a few other wrasses.

The photo was sent by the store, but I'll go through a bit later to take some more photos if the identity isn't clear from this photo.

kathrine.jpg

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi @evolved , @eatbreakfast , et al,

I'd like to get a positive ID on this guy, please?

He was sent as a katherinae from the Philippines, but I've read in earlier posts in this thread that they are often confused with temminckii. I need to be sure I'm getting the former, as he'd be going in with a few other Cirrhilabrus - lineatus, isosceles, lubbocki - as well as a few other wrasses.

The photo was sent by the store, but I'll go through a bit later to take some more photos if the identity isn't clear from this photo.

kathrine.jpg
That is indeed the male katheinae from the Philippines.

JAWS 32

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, could you tell me if this is a type of Pencil wrasse. And if so, which kind? None of my books had one with the black on the tail. Thanks!

IMG_1464.JPG

OP
OP
evolved

evolved

[email protected]
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, could you tell me if this is a type of Pencil wrasse. And if so, which kind? None of my books had one with the black on the tail. Thanks!

IMG_1464.JPG
Yes, Pseudojuloides cerasinus.

JAWS 32

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was just looking in my book again at that type of Pencil Wrasse and saw the black tail. I didn't think it was that type because the color pattern is different. I guess they vary in their patterns. Thanks again!

saltyhog

blowing bubbles somewhere
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks TJ! As I suspected.

A little disappointed with Live Aquaria on this one. This isn't a hard species to differentiate, they shouldn't have gotten it wrong.

saltyhog

blowing bubbles somewhere
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's definitely H. melanurus. The pattern on the tail is the dead giveaway. H. chrysotaenia has spots on the tail.

I can't believe LA is giving me grief about this. They say they can't ID it positively unless I send a picture with white lights. SMH.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 3 3.7%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 47 58.0%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 23 28.4%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 5 6.2%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 3 3.7%
Back