Status
Not open for further replies.

KoleTang

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wish I could use will-power to transform my wrasses into ultra rare fish. :hammer:

Evolved, what is the most obtainable (in comparison) wrasse with a "Pin-shaped" caudal fin?

Last edited:
OP
OP
evolved

evolved

[email protected]
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wish I could use will-power to transform my wrasses into ultra rare fish. :hammer:
Actually, C. lanceolatus is much more rare than C. cf lanceolatus. cf lanceolatus just hasn't been collected in a couple years; it will be again one day. And I WILL own one, eventually (not something I can say with certainty on C. lanceolatus).

Evolved, what is the most obtainable (in comparison) wrasse with a "Pin-shaped" caudal fin?
C. roseafascia being the best alternative with a well defined lancet-shaped caudal fin, but really C. rhomboidalis is the most obtainable.

KoleTang

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Actually, C. lanceolatus is much more rare than C. cf lanceolatus. cf lanceolatus just hasn't been collected in a couple years; it will be again one day. And I WILL own one, eventually (not something I can say with certainty on C. lanceolatus).

C. roseafascia being the best alternative with a well defined lancet-shaped caudal fin, but really C. rhomboidalis is the most obtainable.

Well then I made a failure of a snide remark. LOL

How much $ are we talking for C. roseafascia?

PaulKreider

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
DSCN68681.jpg
Horrible photo I'm sorry!

mnat

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm sorry, but it is certainly not.

When he is moved up to the display I will get some better pics. It is a submale right now so hopefully he will become more stunning over time. I was assured when I bought it that is was not C. roseafascia and that it was cf lanceoltus with a tiny tiny percentage chance it was c lanceoltus. However, I understand that not everyone is perfect so you could babsolutely right. This will be a fun one, or a very expensive c. roseafascia. :tongue:

OP
OP
evolved

evolved

[email protected]
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Evolv: have you seen the new wrasse from Pacific East Aquaculture?? most amazing!! supposed to be very rare and from French Polynesia. heres a vid:
55ade4c005152584091db24bba26beba_zps03b3ec14.mp4 Video by rudylbj | Photobucket
I had not yet, thanks for sharing. Not "new" however, but rather Pseudojuloides atavai. A delicate pencil wrasse.

Well then I made a failure of a snide remark. LOL

How much $ are we talking for C. roseafascia?
:) $300ish

DSCN68681.jpg Horrible photo I'm sorry!
Anampses twistii

When he is moved up to the display I will get some better pics. It is a submale right now so hopefully he will become more stunning over time. I was assured when I bought it that is was not C. roseafascia and that it was cf lanceoltus with a tiny tiny percentage chance it was c lanceoltus. However, I understand that not everyone is perfect so you could babsolutely right. This will be a fun one, or a very expensive c. roseafascia. :tongue:
Well, we agree on one thing right now, it is certainty a young male. However, you were at best partially misinformed, as there is absolutely no chance that fish is a cf. lanceolatus. Again, a picture of the pelvic fins is what is necessary for a positive ID.

Last edited:
OP
OP
evolved

evolved

[email protected]
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Latin for "resembling".

It was supposed to be officially described (and therefore given it's own Latin designation) by Dr. Tanaka several years ago, but we're still waiting. :) It's been agreed it is a unique species since 2008 (if not a few years prior) but it most closely resembles lanceolatus (hence the temporary tag).

KoleTang

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very interesting.

Random question: When you study your wrasse names. Do you go to the extent of researching the Latin pronunciation? Seems like a lot of people completely slaughter the Latin names. Even with simple things like Acan.

OP
OP
evolved

evolved

[email protected]
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Random question: When you study your wrasse names. Do you go to the extent of researching the Latin pronunciation? Seems like a lot of people completely slaughter the Latin names. Even with simple things like Acan.
I've learned Latin is a funny thing and pronunciation of all the essential sounds varies depending on the area of science you're in. That being said, I've learned how to more properly pronounce most of the names by hearing better informed people speak. However, I don't make too big of a deal about how to say them; just knowing what they are is more than half the battle. :) So some I get right, others I slaughter.

OP
OP
evolved

evolved

[email protected]
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Reading back through yesterdays transgression, I'm hoping I didn't come off as asinine; I was just trying to be matter-of-fact. My apologies if anyone took it differently.

I will get some better pics when he is moved to the display.
Please do. As much as I hope you got what you believed you purchased, the more I look at your photo the more I see roseafascia. FWIW, this wouldn't be the first time roseafascia's were passed off as lanceolatus for a wholesaler's profit (not trying to imply any dishonesty in this case).

Last edited:

mnat

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I said I would be back with pics when he was all settled in, and here they are. I think I am leaning towards the rose, just wanted confirmation.

DSC_3808_zps16b4bf5a.jpg

DSC_3786_zps6c89504f.jpg

DSC_3783_zpsee3c3a63.jpg

DSC_3782_zps677a152e.jpg

DSC_3771_zpse0247962.jpg

OP
OP
evolved

evolved

[email protected]
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, it is C. roseafascia. If it were in fact a lanceolatus, those dark spots on the pelvic fins would be at the anterior.

Aquaph8

Love The Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Paracheilinus flavianalis and Cirrhilabrus nahacky I believe.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aquatic acrobat in your aquarium: Have you ever kept an eel?

• I currently keep an eel in my tank.

Votes: 30 14.1%
  • I have kept an eel in my tank in the past.

Votes: 36 16.9%
  • I have not kept an eel in my tank, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 38 17.8%
  • I have no plans to keep an eel.

Votes: 106 49.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.4%
Back