Lethargic naso tang

nemotang2019

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
History:

I have a 75 g qt. Ammonia is checked with Seachem ammonia badge, and it’s ok.

I did 35 days of copper tx around 2.3-2.5 ppm and then three weeks of prazipro but forgot to turn off the uv light. So decided to do hyposalinity.
Now I’m into three weeks into hyposalinity.

A couple weeks ago, I went away for three days so had someone else feed the fishes while I was away. Well, when I came back, two Chromis had big slashes on their sides and they died shortly after. I’m thinking they fought due to lack of food. Then the next day I found an anthias dead.
Then soon after I noticed another anthias with big ulcer on his side with rough edges. Maybe two inches long and one inch height. Pretty large white patch. Then he died a few days later.

Now, I’ve noticed my blonde naso hiding a lot and not eating as much. He used to go for nori as soon as I put it into the tank. Now he doesn’t do that anymore. Also I noticed a broad white area on his side. Unlike the anthias, the white area isn’t ulcerated and not rough. So not sure what’s going on. I had the blonde naso for about two months and he’s been doing well until now.

One Chromis looks like he has open sore spot. Had him for two months too.

What should I do?

Here are water parameters.

Temp 78
Ammonia <0.02 ppm
Phosphate 0.90
Nitrate 44.2

Attached are photos.

IMG_4634.jpeg IMG_4633.jpeg IMG_4632.jpeg IMG_4631.jpeg IMG_4629.jpeg IMG_4628.jpeg IMG_4624.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_4636.mov
    35.5 MB
  • IMG_4635.mov
    16 MB
  • IMG_4641.mov
    11.6 MB
Last edited:

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
nemotang2019 Welcome to the Fish Disease Treatment and Diagnosis Forum!

The #fishmedic team and other knowledgeable members of our community will do our best to help you resolve your questions. Please provide as much of the following as you are able:
  • Brief description of the issue you are observing and answers to the following questions:
    • How long have you had the fish with the condition?
    • Did you quarantine with medication when you first acquired the fish? (If Yes, which medication?)
  • Current water quality measurements
  • Clear photos of the issue taken using WHITE light and/or a short video of any behaviors (post in your response or on YouTube).
If you can help us by providing as much of the above info as possible, it will make diagnosing and providing recommendations for treatment MUCH easier! The Fish Medic team will get back to you as quickly as possible. In the meantime, other members of our community may also share their experience with similar situations and advice that they may have regarding your situation.

You may also feel free to provide a more detailed description of the condition if you wish to share more info than the above list.

Additionally, these links may be useful while you await a response:

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
History:

I have a 75 g qt. Ammonia is checked with Seachem ammonia badge, and it’s ok.

I did a 35 days of copper around 2.3-2.5 ppm and then three weeks of prazipro but forgot to turn off the uv light. So decided to do hyposalinity.
Now I’m into three weeks into hyposalinity.

A week ago, I went away for three days so had someone else feed the fishes while I was away. Well, when I came back, two Chromis had big slashes on their sides and they died shortly after. I’m thinking they fought due to lack of food.
Then soon after I noticed an anthias with big ulcer on his side with rough edges. Maybe two inches long and one inch height. Pretty large white patch. Then he died a few days later.

Now, I’ve noticed my blonde naso hiding a lot and not eating as much. He used to go for nori as soon as I put it into the tank. Now he doesn’t do that anymore. Also I noticed a broad white area on his side. Unlike the anthias, the white area isn’t ulcerated and not rough. So not sure what’s going on. I had the blonde naso for about two months and he’s been doing well until now.

One Chromis looks like he has open sore spot. Had him for two months too.

What should I do?

Here are water parameters.

Temp 78
Ammonia <0.02 ppm
Phosphate 0.90
Nitrate 44.2

Attached are photos.

IMG_4634.jpeg IMG_4633.jpeg IMG_4632.jpeg IMG_4631.jpeg IMG_4629.jpeg IMG_4628.jpeg IMG_4624.jpeg
Unfortunately there has been an ongoing issue with blonde Naso tangs over a year especially ones from Sri Lanka and they start out well and suddenly stop eating, become thin and lethargic and perish
Good news is I’m seeing a few survivors recently compared to several months ago but often there is nothing that can becc bc done to turn an affected one around

OP
OP
nemotang2019

nemotang2019

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was hoping maybe there was a solution for my blone naso since other fishes are affected as well…

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
I was hoping maybe there was a solution for my blone naso since other fishes are affected as well…
Have another store verify your ammonia and ph and salinity with a Non-AOI test kit and increase oxygen with air stone but may not change much

OP
OP
nemotang2019

nemotang2019

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ph is 7.7
The parameters I checked are done by Hanna. I had air stone on since prazipro.

Last edited:

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ph is 7.7
The parameters I checked are done by Hanna. I had air stone on since prazipro.

What is the current salinity/specific gravity?

Some of the lesions on the anthias and chromis may be Uronema - that thrives in hyposalinity.

The blonde naso is breathing fast and seems to have a bacterial disease. As mentioned, this species has been having a LOT of mortality lately, but usually within the first two to three week.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1.011 and 1.012 checked by two diff refractometers. And just calibrated.
O.K., that's the perfect range to treat for flukes, to high to treat for ich. Uronema can still thrive at that level though.

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 6 6.7%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 4.4%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 5.6%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 70 77.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 5.6%
Back