Naso with black spots and blotch

RaisingKane

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi! I have had this blonde Naso for a few weeks and the first issue it had almost immediately was white blotches all over. Eating well and not a ton of aggression from the other tangs in the tank ( Blue & Sailfin). I thought he was getting better it then started to get these black spots on his head and now they are pretty much everywhere. Is this black ich? Bacterial issue still? Suggestions? No other fish in the tank has any issue.

Last edited:

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I can imagine a lot and can be as simple as stress spots but will need pics and even video under white light intensity to best assess

OP
OP
RaisingKane

RaisingKane

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry about that! I included a photo but I guess it did not go through.
IMG_4391.jpeg

Widdlyscudds

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had the exact same thing on my Tomini tang when I got him. From my understanding of it it's some type of parasitic flatworm i treated with prazi and it cleared it up. Hopefully one of the more knowledgeable people will show up and can give you a better explanation of possible disease/treatment

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This may be a mixed infection - the black spots can be either digenean trematodes or turbellarian worms. A five minute FW dip will help with the latter. Digeneans have multiple hosts, so will die out on their own.
Trouble is, with the other general symptoms, I can’t rule out other flukes/trematodes or even marine ich.
Do you have a treatment tank?
Jay

OP
OP
RaisingKane

RaisingKane

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This may be a mixed infection - the black spots can be either digenean trematodes or turbellarian worms. A five minute FW dip will help with the latter. Digeneans have multiple hosts, so will die out on their own.
Trouble is, with the other general symptoms, I can’t rule out other flukes/trematodes or even marine ich.
Do you have a treatment tank?
Jay
Thanks. I do have a 20 gallon tank I have used for treatment. What would you suggest?

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks. I do have a 20 gallon tank I have used for treatment. What would you suggest?
That may not be large enough. What other fish are in with the naso? They’ve been exposed as well. The treatment tank is also going to need an operating biological filter.

I would give the fish a five minute freshwater dip and then move it directly into the treatment tank (matching sure the water values are the same). At that point, you would start a praziquantel treatment and coppersafe.

I should add that people are having a lot of trouble with nago tangs recently, they just aren’t holding up well at all.

Jay

OP
OP
RaisingKane

RaisingKane

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a blue tang, a Desjardini Sailfin tang, two clowns, coral beauty and a blenny. All are doing good so far...it's been a few weeks.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 33 16.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 26 12.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 119 58.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 13 6.4%
Back