lethargic porcupine puffer fish

Michelle3

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am worried about my porcupine puffer fish. He is sleeping WAY more than usual and just doesn't seem right. He will come up to greet me and eat (he is hungry), but then goes back to sleeping on the bottom of the tank. I can't see any parasites or cuts but I know him, and this is not his usual behavior. Something is wrong.

I have had him for about 8 months. His only tank mate is a flame hawkfish, who appears totally healthy. They have lived together the whole time. I have live rock, a Penguin Biowheel and a heater.

I feed my puffer krill (with Selcon vitamins) and also half clams (which he doesn't like at all but will eat if he gets hungry). Right now, his appetite is strong, and he is consuming food without any issues.

Per my API Saltwater Master Test Kit, the ammonia is 0 ppm, nitrite is 0 ppm, pH is 8.4 (maybe 8.5, but not 8.6) and the nitrates are less than 5.0 ppm. The temperature is and the salinity is 0.24.

The only change:
Over the past two months the tank had developed a REALLY bad GHA problem. After doing a lot of reading about how to treat it, I took the live rock out and hand removed all the algae (there was ALOT). I did a 30% water change. I have shortened the amount of time that my tank light is on. I added a bag of phosphorous absorbing beads into the filter to absorb excess phosphorous. I ordered a phosphorous test kit off Amazon and it should be here any day. Since that effort, the puffer has become lethargic, so I wonder if I did something wrong. Could the phosphorous absorbing beads make him sick? IMO, my water parameters are good and the other fish is fine so, I don't know where to look next. Porky is not just any fish to me. He is a pet and I truly love him. I want to do everything I can to make sure he is ok.

Any ideas on what I can do?

fishguy242

Cronies..... INSERT BUILD THREAD BADGE HERE !!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hi, post some pics, and a short video for the experts
#fishmedic

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am worried about my porcupine puffer fish. He is sleeping WAY more than usual and just doesn't seem right. He will come up to greet me and eat (he is hungry), but then goes back to sleeping on the bottom of the tank. I can't see any parasites or cuts but I know him, and this is not his usual behavior. Something is wrong.

I have had him for about 8 months. His only tank mate is a flame hawkfish, who appears totally healthy. They have lived together the whole time. I have live rock, a Penguin Biowheel and a heater.

I feed my puffer krill (with Selcon vitamins) and also half clams (which he doesn't like at all but will eat if he gets hungry). Right now, his appetite is strong, and he is consuming food without any issues.

Per my API Saltwater Master Test Kit, the ammonia is 0 ppm, nitrite is 0 ppm, pH is 8.4 (maybe 8.5, but not 8.6) and the nitrates are less than 5.0 ppm. The temperature is and the salinity is 0.24.

The only change:
Over the past two months the tank had developed a REALLY bad GHA problem. After doing a lot of reading about how to treat it, I took the live rock out and hand removed all the algae (there was ALOT). I did a 30% water change. I have shortened the amount of time that my tank light is on. I added a bag of phosphorous absorbing beads into the filter to absorb excess phosphorous. I ordered a phosphorous test kit off Amazon and it should be here any day. Since that effort, the puffer has become lethargic, so I wonder if I did something wrong. Could the phosphorous absorbing beads make him sick? IMO, my water parameters are good and the other fish is fine so, I don't know where to look next. Porky is not just any fish to me. He is a pet and I truly love him. I want to do everything I can to make sure he is ok.

Any ideas on what I can do?

Does the tank have good aeration? In aquariums with a lot of algae, if there is not good aeration, at night the algae goes into reverse phase photosynthesis and gives of carbon dioxide and takes up oxygen. This daily shift causes some fish to have issues (but I would think it would also affect the flame hawk).

I would also try to find another food that the puffer likes - try silversides perhaps, or any vitamin/gelatin mix.

I don't think that your tank maintenance or PO4 removing beads have anything to do with this.

If you post a video, I might be able to tell you more.

Jay

OP
OP
M

Michelle3

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just went to take a video and now he is swimming around normally like nothing happened. :face-with-rolling-eyes:
I will post a video anyway. I'm still perplexed as to why he spent two days pretending to be dead (other than when I was feeding him). He is giving me gray hairs. Any recommendations on a vitamin/gel mix? I will try some silversides as well. Thank you for the suggestions. I would also appreciate ideas on how to control the GHA (you can see in the video that its coming back and its only been five days). Porky is a really really messy eater which I'm sure is part of the problem.

Attachments

• Porky 2.mp4
    13 MB
  • Porky and Hawk.mp4
    17 MB

Zero_Cool

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Regarding the GHA there are a couple of general things you can do:

1. Check your water source for both saltwater and top off water - get RODI water for both or add an RODI system at home for this use
2. Mechanical filtration - filter sock/media changed regularly and often
3. Mechanical filtration - skimmer
4. More frequent water changes
5. Chemical removal of phosphates via GFO or similar product in a reactor/high flow area
6. Clean up crew - with a Porcupine and a Flame Hawk these will get eaten so not an option
7. Reduce the amount of food being fed
8. Check lighting for age/spectrum - lights lose power over time and a spectrum shift to more white/red/green can influence GHA growth
9. Add a refugium and grow macro algae like chaeto to consume extra nutrients (may also provide a place for a small clean up crew to break down the messy food scraps
10. Tank location - is the tank near a window or receiving any natural sunlight - if so add shades or move the tank

Just a quick list but I hope you find it helpful.

What size tank is she in?

OP
OP
M

Michelle3

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And he is back "asleep" again.

Attachments

• sleepy porky.jpg
    sleepy porky.jpg
    266.8 KB · Views: 33
OP
OP
M

Michelle3

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for that helpful list!
For the past 7 months I have not had any issues. BUT, what you said in your list makes sense. I just remembered that I got a new light about a month ago. At the time I didn't think anything of it but the new light definitely has a bright white color that almost makes tank almost glow. The old light cast a more dull, yellowish hue. I bet that is the problem. I feel like a tool for not thinking of that. :oops:

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just went to take a video and now he is swimming around normally like nothing happened. :face-with-rolling-eyes:
I will post a video anyway. I'm still perplexed as to why he spent two days pretending to be dead (other than when I was feeding him). He is giving me gray hairs. Any recommendations on a vitamin/gel mix? I will try some silversides as well. Thank you for the suggestions. I would also appreciate ideas on how to control the GHA (you can see in the video that its coming back and its only been five days). Porky is a really really messy eater which I'm sure is part of the problem.

Yep - the puffer looks good in the video!

In terms are a more varied diet, any good quality gel diet would work. Here is one example:

Jay

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 83 56.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.8%
Back