tank.jpg

010120.jpg

Copingwithpods

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Let's be controversial...... tds meter readings of 000 don't actually mean there is nothing in there but h2o molecules. They don't pick up uncharged particles like motor oil, gasoline, lead, medications, pharmaceutical chemicals, arsenic, chromium, pesticides and much more. There's a great push in the hobby for rodi and tds reading as low as possible with many considering a tds reading of below 5 a win without ever knowing what else could be in there.

Mtb_reefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't think it's quiet that simple as uv sterilizers don't do anything. Sure they might not kill everything that passes through them but if they can at least keep populations down enough to a level where a normal healthy fish can fight off an attack and maybe keep bacterial blooms down I'd say they are doing their part. I know full well my uv cannot fight off ich, but if it can keep its numbers low enough to where my fishes can fight off the rest, I'm OK with that. A few months ago my clown was showing signs of ich, he had 3 white dots, with in a few days they fell off and he was OK as well as my other fish. Was it the uv? Did my fish fight it off on its own without needing the help of the uv? Idk and I'm not willing to find out for the 45 cents a month it costs me to run the uv.

Would be fun to run an experiment and find out if they really are worthless or if they just work in a different way than most people think.
Ich has 4 life stages after it feeds on your fish it drops off into the substrate where it reproduces then re-enters the water column to start all over again..

Gregg @ ADP

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m into ecology, so all of it is equally important and interesting....fish, coral, stars, shrimp, urchins, conchs, algae, tunicates, worms in the sand, forams, sponges, and so on. I love all of it.

For me, no QT, and no acclimation if temp is close. Just dump it in and let everybody get on with their lives. The exceptions are shrimp and some echinos, but that is typically a very short acclimation...let some water into the bag every few minutes and observe.

Ardeus

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For me, the sand is my favorite part of the tank. For real.

I even did a video review of 2 sand brands (not to mention that I filmed over 400 hours of a silty lake floor, it's also on youtube).

I can't enjoy a tank if it has no sand or if the sand is dirty.

Then come the fish, then the corals and finally the rock.

I quarentined the fish, dipped the corals and the tank has been closed both for fish and corals for quite some time now.

I I don't want to risk the health of the animals I have now just for the sake of adding another one, quarentined or not.

I believe climate change is a much more serious threat than even the most radical activists think and that there won't be a single reef tank left on the planet by the mid 2030's at best, so my plan is to care for the animals I have until crops fail massively and things go south.

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They don't pick up uncharged particles like motor oil, gasoline, lead, medications, pharmaceutical chemicals, arsenic, chromium, pesticides and much more.

My Ro/Di water doesn't have any of that stuff, so I dose it. :p

NoobReeefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dont drip acclimate anything just match temp and drop it in. I quarantine all fish and anonemes. I don’t QT corals or inverts. For corals I just clip em off the frag plug, dip em then glue em to a new frag plug or glue em directly to my rocks.

trout

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been keeping reef tanks for more than ten years. I never quarantined fish and were always lucky. Admittedly, I viewed fish as nothing more than nutrient providers for colourful acroporids. My utilitarian view on fish changed completely when I finally ran out of luck last February. The last fish I bought at the time, a yellow longnose butterflyfish, introduced marine velvet to my tank, which then wiped off all but two fish. This episode upset me so much that I realised how much I liked my fish and that I should no longer take a casual approach to fish keeping.

Consequently, I have started quarantine all new fish. I will also be quarantining any invertebrate that has hard shell, such as crabs, snails, urchins, etc., to avoid introducing pathogens to my reef tank.

BloopFish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So making the decision to drip acclimated or
Just dropping the fish in the tank . Depends on where are the fish/coral/inverts coming from. If they are coming from my LFS then my water and their water is almost the same. If they are coming from an online vendor then you should drip acclimate.

the decision to quarantine live stock is all a matter of circumstances. If you live in NYC
And you live in a 900sqf apt then having a quarantine system doesn’t make sense.
if you live in the suburbs and have a fish room or a large tank then quarantine makes more sense for that person.

Most LFS in NYC already know that their clients don’t have time or room to quarantine fish or corals so the store does it for them. The stores also cater to smaller nano systems. With smaller fish.

I started this hobby for the fish but now the fish are only there to clean my corals. Lol
I'm personally not aware of any fish store IN Manhattan that quarantines their fish, perhaps the ones outside of Manhattan does. In fact, I've had a horrible experience with the Manhattan Aquarium store fish stock - I've never NOT had a fish get sick from them. From what I've observed, they don't really QT their fish. That's why I only buy my fish online - much better success rate even if the online place doesn't QT. In fact, I've seen their display tank with a bunch of ich too. If they can't even keep their DT visibly free of disease, how can I trust that the livestock that they sell is even close to being healthy? There really are no good reef stores in Manhattan unforuntately. I've heard good things about ones in Jersey, the Bronx, and other surrounding areas though. Would like to hear your recommendations.

Qasimja

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
in the past i never ran a QT then in november purchased 2 cleaner shrimp and some snails from an online vendor 3 days later full marine velvet out break lost all my fish now i have 2 QT tanks i still dont know if i will QT inverts in the future i may just buy them locally and i dont run copper in my QT tanks i treat with prazi and metro and monitor

trout

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
in the past i never ran a QT then in november purchased 2 cleaner shrimp and some snails from an online vendor 3 days later full marine velvet out break lost all my fish now i have 2 QT tanks i still dont know if i will QT inverts in the future i may just buy them locally and i dont run copper in my QT tanks i treat with prazi and metro and monitor

When I buy invertebrates, all I will do it to observe them in a QT tank without any fish in it for longer than 76 days. This will ensure that any white spot and/or velvet pathogens will not survive.

DonTavo27

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m not big on fish, but when I do, I prefer clownfish. I just keep a pair of black phantoms,
A six line, my girl and I named wrassehole, and I just floated, and slowly drip acclimated a lawnmower blenny for 30 minutes in my DT.
I don’t QT. Sometimes I’ll dip Frags in a cup with tank water and a drop of peroxide.

Amado

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm personally not aware of any fish store IN Manhattan that quarantines their fish, perhaps the ones outside of Manhattan does. In fact, I've had a horrible experience with the Manhattan Aquarium store fish stock - I've never NOT had a fish get sick from them. From what I've observed, they don't really QT their fish. That's why I only buy my fish online - much better success rate even if the online place doesn't QT. In fact, I've seen their display tank with a bunch of ich too. If they can't even keep their DT visibly free of disease, how can I trust that the livestock that they sell is even close to being healthy? There really are no good reef stores in Manhattan unforuntately. I've heard good things about ones in Jersey, the Bronx, and other surrounding areas though. Would like to hear your recommendations.

my local fish store is reefco in nj.
all his fish Are treated no sick fish.
his corals for the most part are aquaculture
And the frag racks are very clean.

Amado

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
my other local fish store is aquatic obsession in Avenel nj. All the fish are dated and treated. Will the owner does not sell a sick fish. It’s really close to the city so you get a lot of people coming from NYC. Will has one of the best fish stock he usually has a lot of different fish.

manhattan aquarium is a very safe place to buy fish. Talk to the staff they quarantine fish for a lot of their clients. They also have a selection of fish that you don’t see anywhere. Else.

H3rm1tCr@b

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t quarantine. I inspect my animals and take a leap of faith and drip acclimate a little. If I’m really lazy then a tiny bit of dripping and temp acclimation. Nothing special. Luckily my coral and fish are great.

Loggerhead

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I haven’t quarantined for the 20 years I have been in the hobby. Lost 10 fish this past month to some sort of nasty infection after I added a harem or lyretail anthias. I have graduated to a tank that I can’t get fish out of unless I dismantle the rock work. I’m setting up a qt now.

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
manhattan aquarium is a very safe place to buy fish. Talk to the staff they quarantine fish for a lot of their clients. They also have a selection of fish that you don’t see anywhere. Else.

Yes, but I always get mugged coming home from there. :oops:

Dr. Dendrostein

Marine fish monthly
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So ive been doing this for a long time... well 8 years.

i stopped quarentining fish because im not a fish guy, keep small tanks and hardy fish. how many people are in this for the coral?

to me fish are just kind of a byproduct of the environment. i usually have couple clowns and a goby or something.

i do however qt and dip all my coral but i never ever acclimate, except for an anemone. not fish, not coral, not snails, nothing. only to temp and in they go.

is this becoming common practice or is everybody still dripping everything?

are you into the fish coral or both?

do you qt every single thing or just one thing or nothing?

what do you do that somebody else would find unconventional?

pictures are nice too!

p.s. check out my build thread. nothing crazy and its due for an update. but yeah, peoples builds are my favorite. ill look at yours to

current jbj45

20200115_201920.jpg previous 150 tall
11267199_10155590934095113_2321245115990137811_n.jpg previous bio 15 1904092_10153952432005113_1318088955_n.jpg previous bio 29 but this was its early days cant find better mature pic 1901377_10153952432250113_1263346327_n.jpg current 20200115_204916.jpg
the corals I keep are supposedly very sensitive, within the last year all I do is exclamation temperature I have some sponges in the sump squeeze the water from the sponges that has bacteria to the corals, within less than 5 minutes after I acclimate temperature I add to the tank

Screenshot_20200122-190344.png

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 34 44.2%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 19 24.7%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 22 28.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.6%
Back