LET'S GET SALTY: What's a FAIR price for salt and what are you using in 2020?

What is a fair price to pay for a 160g - 200g bucket of salt?

• $50 or less

Votes: 267 37.8%
  • $75 or less

Votes: 339 48.0%
  • $100 or less

Votes: 85 12.0%
  • Other and you better explain in the thread! :)

Votes: 15 2.1%

• Total voters

RalphTech

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Salt is a naturally occurring chemical. We pay for refinement which is automatically operated.
I don't mind paying a little since carrying tablets of salt on my donkey butt is not inspirational. But make it about $10 for a 50 Gallon bucket of Red Sea Pro.

Royy13

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I pay $0.00. NSW for me. Good old home grown Atlantic Ocean water. Occasionally I will go to the LFS and buy water pre-made. For instance, the other day I went to my collection site and the tide was so high it was coming over the inlet wall. I didn’t want my battery that I use to power my pump to get destroyed so I left and went to the LFS. If I’m behind on water changes and the weather is bad I may also go to the LFS. I do, however, make my own fresh water for top-off.

And no, my system is not being over run with parasites or deadly critters. The fish and corals are fine. Been doing it for years after reading about from Paul B.

Roy

radiata

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love paying $35 for the 200 gallon mix of IO - my LFS uses it as a loss leader to bring in customers...

rsumner

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I switched to Tropic Marin Pro after watching the BRS video series on salt mixes. I was seeking something that would mix easier and leave less residue for me to cleanup.

I was using IO Reef Crystals for years and then running my RO through a 5micron filter to get rid of the nasty brown gunk that was always floating around and eventually sticking to my mixing container. I loved the low price and being able to easily get it same-day on Amazon.

Is the Tropic Marin Pro worth the extra $50/bucket which translates to $50/month for me? I'm not financially strapped and would rather spend my time being obsessive about something else on my tank than recleaning my clean salt water, so yes!

vanpire

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love paying $35 for the 200 gallon mix of IO - my LFS uses it as a loss leader to bring in customers...
Where do u guys find it for $35? Best I can find is $40/200 gallon box.

Malevolent

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I live in Alaska, so I use what’s available that doesn’t require shipping. My LFS and chain stores here (pet smart, petco, etc.) carry the same product. 57lbs of IO reef crystal for $60.00. It’s very important for me to have a consistent salt and availability because I don’t want to have to adjust my parameters and make it into a full time job every time I get a different salt with different additives/values. I have a pretty good setup for mixing, dosing, temperature control to obtain my end desire. The name of the game is stability with consistent results. The only time you should be seeking different brands, is in the beginning (setup). Salt is not just salt, they all have different additives/values (sometimes not consistent) and you need to be able to adjust it to what you think the end result should be (hopefully with the least amount of cost/work). That’s just my opinion, I’m sure other people may have a different view on this.

SeaJay

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
$40 for the 200gal box of IO at my LFS. For a few bucks more I can get it to my door from Amazon, but I prefer to give my local guys as much business as I can while I'm there. He takes care of me when I need anything.

Dorrie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think $75 or less is fair, but I‘ve been paying the premium for Tropic Marin Pro-Reef. I’ve used this salt for about 2 years now & have been very happy with the consistency of the mix. I’d love to find a cheaper salt with the same results. I have a 300 gallon tank with a mixed coral reef and a variety of reef friendly fish.

Hemmdog

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I only do water changes once a quarter, so the price doesn’t really matter to me. I want the highest quality and I’ve found that, after trying most major brands, with tropic marin pro.

SAMS

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I purchase the Red Sea Coral Pro Salt 20KG refill bags, which here in the UK is slightly smaller than the refill bags that you Yanks get :).
I pay £55.00 for a 20kg refill bag (roughly $72.00). This bag lasts me 5 weeks on my 1000L tank, so can't complain.

Bruce Burnett

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Instant ocean regular or reef crystals under $50 and is the most used. I see no reason to pay $75 or more. One of the reasons people try to stay away from water changes. When it cost you $100 or more a month for just salt you start looking at ways to save.

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think 42.99 is usually the cost of IO 150 gallon bucket or 200 gallon box from amazon. I don't think I'd ever pay more than 50$ for salt.

RwP

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just started using HW Marine. So far so good

Johnnynle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently changed to Fritz pro blue box, $50 a box. Was using tropic Marin bio-actif and it was a great salt. So far with Fritz I haven’t had any parameter issues and it mixes really fast. Plus I can mix and hold for when I need it. Couldn’t do that with the Bio-actif.

83D3B0DB-88B7-43AF-AC49-9674A2FE93EB.jpeg

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 20 8.2%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 43 17.7%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 162 66.7%
  • Neither.

Votes: 12 4.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.5%
Back