LET'S GET SALTY: What's a FAIR price for salt and what are you using in 2020?

What is a fair price to pay for a 160g - 200g bucket of salt?

• $50 or less

Votes: 267 37.8%
  • $75 or less

Votes: 339 48.0%
  • $100 or less

Votes: 85 12.0%
  • Other and you better explain in the thread! :)

Votes: 15 2.1%

• Total voters

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
OPTIONS! In this hobby we have options! There are so many ways to run and maintain a tank and with that comes many options for equipment, additives, livestock etc. There are so many cool gadgets that we can utilize that gives us the options to pick and choose whether we use them or not.

BUT one thing we all must use and can't reef without is salt! Not only do we need it but we need it often for water changes, emergencies, quarantine and more! So for the QOTD I wanted to talk about SALT and ask you a couple of questions!

1. What is a fair price to pay for a 160g - 200g bucket of salt?

2. As of 2020 what salt mix are you using?

get salty.jpg

Hair Algae Wizard

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have no problem paying a premium for a brand that is consistent batch-to-batch, and would be willing to pay up to 100.00 a bucket for piece of mind and quality.

Most say salt is salt, and that is probably true, but many vendors parameters are off from bucket-to-bucket, so when I factor in piece of mind, that is worth it to me. (although I still test Alk every time I do a water change with fresh saltwater)

I'm currently using Tropic Marin Bio-Actif, but had been using TM Pro Reef.

kapnkush608

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run @Aquaforest reef salt. $75 seems to be the sweet spot for me. Before that was reef crystals. They were ok but sometimes it would be cloudy for days after mixing before I could finally use it.

hllb

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am currently using Red Sea Coral Pro but just received my first box of HW Marine Reefer. I like the parameters of it better, but dislike the packaging LOL. I'll start using it in a few weeks, probably. My tank is small, so the cost isn't as relevant to me.

William Norman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am currently trying Tropic Marine Pro in my new tank after using Natural Salt Water and I/O in my others.. I liked the idea of natural but I started having some issues. I thought hey it comes from the ocean a few miles offshore, less need to add any micro elements to it. But I started finding algeas coming in with it. I used I/O but I had lots of crud in my barrel and also saw swings in parms.

B7Joe

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tropic Marin Pro-Reef. Changed to the brand recently. Mixes consistently, very quickly and stores well. I have a smaller tank and mix only small amounts of water (5 to 10 gallons at a time), so the higher cost is not an issue. In the future, when I have a larger tank, I may need to change but for now it’s perfect for my needs.

fraghunter

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was using Tropic Marine Pro Reef but started testing the Alk and it was consistent but at 5.3. Switched to Aquaforest reef salt and its alk is slightly better at 6.3 and about 30 bucks less so going to stick with them for now. Neither of the 2 seem to be in the range they claim.

Deephouse_jedi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've used cheaper salts like Fritz and IO in the past. The batch to batch was aweful and I found myself constantly adding a lot of dKH to boost to appropriate levels. I've since switched to Tropic Marin and couldn't be happier. A bit pricey and I'm looking into Brightwell for that reason. But for now I'm happy paying the premium for quality. The cheaper stuff definitely had me cleaning my storage more often. Ill for sure pay more if it means less work for me later lol.

Spongking1

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Red Sea blue label. Not the coral pro. At $60-70 it makes me sad. But it’s what lot of friends with great tanks use. As well as the LfS locally that I spend a lot of my money in.

JCTReefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Red Sea Blue Bucket @ 72.99 from BRS. Every once in a while they'll have a sale. It's about the closest salt to the parameters I keep. I've found it's also consistent from batch to batch.

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 33 30.3%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 28 25.7%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 24 22.0%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 24 22.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back