Let's see the fowlrs!!

Sleeperr34

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So right now i have a 215 reef i am thinking of going FOWLR. What do most people run theirs at? I have heard that some people run salt low as well as a little medication in the system to help treat anything that fish might have. Just wondering how most arw set up. If this is a good idea or not

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So right now i have a 215 reef i am thinking of going FOWLR. What do most people run theirs at? I have heard that some people run salt low as well as a little medication in the system to help treat anything that fish might have. Just wondering how most arw set up. If this is a good idea or not

I run my fowlrs at 1.022-23 so just a little lower. As far as running meds at a low non-therapeutic dose it's a bad idea; not only will it just suppress and not cure any issues. Those issues will likely raise their ugly head with vengeance at some point. A constant exposure to meds will also likely cause organ damage and shorten the lifespan.

Bluecbs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My fowlr....is the valentini toby qualifies as a predator??:D

Bluecbs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
....i run at 1.020 - 1.021.....afraid to go lower since i have a shrimp and some snails. Can definitely go lower like 1.018 if no inverts

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You ask for it, here's a current pic of my 210g, very dirty.

007.jpg

Mfreddy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Worth a shot. Can’t go total dark but I’ll cut my lights 40%? Do you think that will make a difference?

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Worth a shot. Can’t go total dark but I’ll cut my lights 40%? Do you think that will make a difference?

Lights out never worked for me, you figure it's like your lawn had a few cloudy days. I have tanks just like yours, one I control with nopox, once dialed in you'll ask yourself "why do water changes". Another one I've tried a more natural approach, I built an ats that worked great, but I really don't like them. I am now trying an algae reactor, the largest one I could afford. It's a nutrient issue and that's the way it is keeping these kind of fish. So you can work at getting the nopox dialed and even add an algae scubber/reactor/refugium. OR you can be a slave to the water changes. Trust me my fowlrs look lived in, if you know what I mean, but fish like to graze and hunt the rocks.

Mfreddy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What do you think about skimmers? I’m beginning to think mine is undersized. It’s an eshopps s300 that’s 2 1/2 years old. It doesn’t pull well, either slowly or overflowing.

Tank is a 240 with sump. Livestock is a 24” snowflake, 6-7” Niger trigger, 5” clown trigger, 5” Dogface puffer, and a 3” purple tang. I’d like to add an angel and a wrasse.

I’ve tried nopox and vibrant but still use the end of a baster powered by a sicce pump to blow off the rocks when I do my 80 gallon water change every 2-3 weeks. I also have a 25 watt uv with a fresh bulb.

Mfreddy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Try an algae scrubber. It will suck up nitrates like crazy, it's cheap to build, and because there is already algae growing in it algae is less likely to grow elsewhere.
I don’t have room

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What do you think about skimmers? I’m beginning to think mine is undersized. It’s an eshopps s300 that’s 2 1/2 years old. It doesn’t pull well, either slowly or overflowing.

Tank is a 240 with sump. Livestock is a 24” snowflake, 6-7” Niger trigger, 5” clown trigger, 5” Dogface puffer, and a 3” purple tang. I’d like to add an angel and a wrasse.

I’ve tried nopox and vibrant but still use the end of a baster powered by a sicce pump to blow off the rocks when I do my 80 gallon water change every 2-3 weeks. I also have a 25 watt uv with a fresh bulb.

That's the same skimmer I run on my 210; I've replaced the impeller and got a boost, it actually had a crack. Using nopox takes patience at first and some fine tuning. You still need to control your phosphates or you could get cyano, or pink slime if you dose too much or your skimmer not tuned. nopox is very tricky. But if you get it dialed in, it works great. I do maybe 60g every couple of months just because I feel like I should, nitrates hit about 30 at highest. My rocks stay clean and I have to scrape the glass every couple of months. I have tangs, angels, foxface who love the grazing,

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 39 23.9%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 56 34.4%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 49 30.1%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 15 9.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.5%
Back