Lets see the tanks that got started in 2020

Jonify

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't be mate, we all do what we are able to and i struggle to keep up sometimes, being Aussie and coastal has helped a lot but its not like i have not had a roller coaster ride at times.
Sometimes i wish i was in the USA, there is so much variety over there with large development in coral aquaculture, the great majority of what we get in Australia is wild harvested coral, great for the collectors and exporters, sometimes not so great for the aquarist. Wild coral `can change colors drastically and the reef systems they are collected from vary in temps quite a lot so sometimes its a challenge to get coral from the same climate zone on a reef, you can tell the ones that don't match your system easily, one day they are there, the next they are a puddle of slime
But you guys have Cade, and a reef nearby ... I'm in DC, USA ... what am I gonna pick out of the Potomac? Horseshoe crabs!? so STILL JEALOUS! :p

Last edited:
OP
OP
Born2beblack

Born2beblack

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't be mate, we all do what we are able to and i struggle to keep up sometimes, being Aussie and coastal has helped a lot but its not like i have not had a roller coaster ride at times.
Sometimes i wish i was in the USA, there is so much variety over there with large development in coral aquaculture, the great majority of what we get in Australia is wild harvested coral, great for the collectors and exporters, sometimes not so great for the aquarist. Wild coral `can change colors drastically and the reef systems they are collected from vary in temps quite a lot so sometimes its a challenge to get coral from the same climate zone on a reef, you can tell the ones that don't match your system easily, one day they are there, the next they are a puddle of slime
That crazy mate. What kinda corals do you find manly then that are sold to you there. Cause most my favourite piece our from there.

OP
OP
Born2beblack

Born2beblack

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
But you guys have Cade, and a reef nearby ... I'm in DC, USA ... what am I gonna pick out of the Potomac? Horse shoe crabs!? so STILL JEALOUS! :p
Idk if they can just take them from the ocean
Think there rules but idk tbh

Jonify

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Idk if they can just take them from the ocean
Think there rules but idk tbh
Oh for sure, GBRMPA has a pretty strict, sustainable policy. So the Aussies are way out ahead of the rest of the world. But Harvesters can get licenses to collect. Mostly, they are super responsible about it, according to what I've read (avoiding stressed reefs; limiting collections from thriving reefs; avoiding certain species; etc.).

OP
OP
Born2beblack

Born2beblack

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh for sure, GBRMPA has a pretty strict, sustainable policy. So the Aussies are way out ahead of the rest of the world. But Harvesters can get licenses to collect. Mostly, they are super responsible about it, according to what I've read (avoiding stressed reefs; limiting collections from thriving reefs; avoiding certain species; etc.).
Okay that interesting. So what are locals aloud to do exactly
I assume there a limit to what people can do

OP
OP
Born2beblack

Born2beblack

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ive always wanted to drive to the coast and get some canadian coral cause it aint pretty but i heard we do grow some on our edges of ocean

Lightspeed

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
so as far as a local collecting coral, well that's a bit fat NONO and will see your backside handed to you in front of the magistrate.
But go figure its fine to anchor your recreational vessel or cruise ship on a coral reef, not picking, just saying.

Collectors are licensed over here and they have specific quotas they can harvest by species, certain areas are left well alone and am pretty sure that even licensed collectors cannot harvest from designated Marine parks. I guess there may be a lot of trust there by the big firms like Ultra Coral Australia and Monsoon Aquatics that coral is harvested in a manner befitting of your license grant.
Ultra colored coral is very rare and even more so Master grades. There is a fair amount of pressure over here from certain sides of the sustainability charter regarding wild coral and fish collection, i do think that the day will come where it will end, fortunately though the trade is assisting with re stocking reefs too, but sustainability will eventually win over the industry which makes aquaculture of coral a highly important facet if the industry is to sustain itself into the future. Its a shame that in Australia its not being seen as necessarily profitable by big business to aquaculture coral like Jason Fox or WWC in the USA. I would so love to see it happen, maybe from a perspective from Australian wage based economics there are some hurdles to be overcome but t some point i feel it simply must happen.

This is just from my observations of the trade and research, and represents my opinion and thoughts only.
Australia in a great many ways is still the wild west, China for instance loves that.

Jonify

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
so as far as a local collecting coral, well that's a bit fat NONO and will see your backside handed to you in front of the magistrate.

Collectors are licensed over here and they have specific quotas they can harvest by species, certain areas are left well alone and am pretty sure that even licensed collectors cannot harvest from designated Marine parks. I guess there may be a lot of trust there by the big firms like Ultra Coral Australia and Monsoon Aquatics that coral is harvested in a manner befitting of your license grant.
Ultra colored coral is very rare and even more so Master grades. There is a fair amount of pressure over here from certain sides of the sustainability charter regarding wild coral and fish collection, i do think that the day will come where it will end, fortunately though the trade is assisting with re stocking reefs too, but sustainability will eventually win over the industry which makes aquaculture of coral a highly important facet if the industry is to sustain itself into the future. Its a shame that in Australia its not being seen as necessarily profitable by big business to aquaculture coral like Jason Fox or WWC in the USA. I would so love to see it happen, maybe from a perspective from Australian wage based economics there are some hurdles to be overcome but t some point i feel it simply must happen.

This is just from my observations of the trade and research, and represents my opinion and thoughts only
I foresee a day when the The WHO (because of course, in my dreams The WHO now oversees the health of coral reefs) says "Our coral reefs have run dry. Reefers, please bring your colonies and frags to Australia, Indonesia, Fiji, Hawaii, etc." And we all make a pilgrimages to those places with the colonies we have carefully cared for over the past 30 years.

Lightspeed

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I foresee a day when the The WHO (because of course, in my dreams The WHO now oversees the health of coral reefs) says "Our coral reefs have run dry. Reefers, please bring your colonies and frags to Australia, Indonesia, Fiji, Hawaii, etc." And we all make a pilgrimages to those places with the colonies we have carefully cared for over the past 30 years.
it may very well be sooner than later

Butcher333

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
FD9B15DC-3E1F-4FA1-A4CF-5496E7F12C17.jpeg
16936A53-7E20-4FE4-90EA-1B51110E5C0D.jpeg

OP
OP
Born2beblack

Born2beblack

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is our 2020 start up. We have only been running a few weeks.

IMG_0942 (1).jpeg
Youll have to keep us posted how it goes through the year

All these tanks are so cool
Nice seeing other designs
Look forward to when this thread keeps growing through the year and all our tanks grow up :D

BYU

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thanks was bored during covid and needed a new project lol
went up fast and got packed

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 21 31.8%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 53 80.3%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 11 16.7%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 7 10.6%
  • Other

Votes: 4 6.1%
Back