Let's talk about aquarium cabinet/stand manufacturers... Who are they? Who do you recommend?

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
So we've got a great thread on custom tank manufacturers, but what about tank stand/cabinet manufacturers? Who do you recommend? Why?

Please share your experiences with any manufacturers. Maybe include details like quality, cost, customer service, time it took to complete, things you really liked, warranty info, and any photos of the finished product.

mdb_talon

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dont have any answers to your questions lol but would say if i were going to buy a stand it would definetely be finding a local woodworker(or maybe metalshop). Just seems stands in general(even the "cheap" ones) are ridiculously priced and bet i could get a better stand for a cheaper price vs other options especially if factoring in shipping.

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@mdb_talon is correct, ime. I had the guy who makes custom cabinets for the lfs make my kitchen cabinets when we remodeled. He is bugging me to upgrade my tank so he can build a matching fish tank stand.

not my kitchen.jpg

OP
OP
Daniel@R2R

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I dont have any answers to your questions lol but would say if i were going to buy a stand it would definetely be finding a local woodworker(or maybe metalshop). Just seems stands in general(even the "cheap" ones) are ridiculously priced and bet i could get a better stand for a cheaper price vs other options especially if factoring in shipping.

@mdb_talon is correct, ime. I had the guy who makes custom cabinets for the lfs make my kitchen cabinets when we remodeled. He is bugging me to upgrade my tank so he can build a matching fish tank stand.

not my kitchen.jpg
See... I've been thinking about this option, but I think I'm a bit afraid of going with a local cabinet maker who may not have experience with building aquarium stands. I'd feel better knowing whoever builds the stand has experience with this.

OP
OP
Daniel@R2R

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
T-Slot is surprisingly easy to work with, using Zyltech.com and getting custom cut pieces, its like playing with k'nex! WAY less expensive than T-Slot custom builders websites too...

Im gonna have to do a tutorial thread on my next stand build.

IMG_0034.jpeg IMG_0044.JPG IMG_0070.JPG IMG_0183.jpeg
A tutorial thread on this would be awesome!!

OP
OP
Daniel@R2R

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

WVNed

The fish are staring at me with hungry eyes.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My Custom Aquariums tank came with a lifetime warranty ( I have to pay shipping but that is way cheaper than a new tank) If I put it on their stand so I did. It is kind of strange though if you wanted to use the stand to hold a sump. It has a solid top, bottom and a back with 3 smallish oval holes in it. Perfect for what I wanted to do though because all the plumbing goes through the wall behind the tank. Mine is all wood but they have metal and metal/wood options. They have fancier ones but that isn't us.
Back to the beginning.
IMG_1044-M.jpg

rtparty

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
This looks like great work too.

It is unbelievably built. Took me a couple hours to put together with my 4 year old helping.

It's heavy duty extrusion with custom brackets. Much higher quality than Framing Tech/8020/etc...

Chris Benner is a big time hobbyist and so is the company he uses for the aluminum. I spoke with them on the phone for 2 hours the other day designing my floating canopy. They understand what we deal with and what we need as a hobby.

It's more expensive than the other options but after seeing both in person, it's not even comparable. When it comes to holding over 3500 pounds, $200 in savings isn't worth it for me. I will always take quality and customer service over lower prices.

OP
OP
Daniel@R2R

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
By the way, if we get a list of stand/cabinetry builders going, I'll add it to the first post.

vpierce3

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m getting ready to start a build thread in a month or so. I ordered a new 150 gallon tank from SCA this week. I will be building my own stand. I’m fortunate enough to have a shop full of wood and metal working tools. The stand will be metal framed with wood panels. Haven’t decided on alum or steel yet. Materials are very expensive right now.
image.jpg

Last edited:

Babyback

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We're super happy with our stand from Crystal Dynamic.

It's for a 240 gallon aquarium and we wanted wood over a steel frame.

They have so many more options than we opted for.

They were easy to work with and would happily recommend them to anyone.

Attachments

• IMG_3312~2.jpg
    IMG_3312~2.jpg
    169.6 KB · Views: 147

MBinNY

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I went aluminum on the new build. I had 2” Steele on the 500 gallon build and even powder coated I’m getting rust so aluminum or wood was the only way and with 400 gallons on this one I went aluminum. When wrapped it in poplar.
DB1C6782-9B72-4DFB-8C6E-782874F1C946.jpeg
68D3127C-B19D-4978-BE68-0C5763F96079.jpeg
9497BC64-9731-42FA-AFDF-437DC5B9C648.jpeg
05FCEF4A-44AB-4F1A-9F4B-F2B5382F24DC.jpeg
C7303C2E-0C8C-460A-B17F-ACB9AC21BEDD.jpeg

csund

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is unbelievably built. Took me a couple hours to put together with my 4 year old helping.

It's heavy duty extrusion with custom brackets. Much higher quality than Framing Tech/8020/etc...

Chris Benner is a big time hobbyist and so is the company he uses for the aluminum. I spoke with them on the phone for 2 hours the other day designing my floating canopy. They understand what we deal with and what we need as a hobby.

It's more expensive than the other options but after seeing both in person, it's not even comparable. When it comes to holding over 3500 pounds, $200 in savings isn't worth it for me. I will always take quality and customer service over lower prices.
Who was the manufacturer for the extrusions?

-XENOMORPH-

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
T-Slot is surprisingly easy to work with, using Zyltech.com and getting custom cut pieces, its like playing with k'nex! WAY less expensive than T-Slot custom builders websites too...

Im gonna have to do a tutorial thread on my next stand build.

IMG_0034.jpeg IMG_0044.JPG IMG_0070.JPG IMG_0183.jpeg
Beautiful! The clear one with the cat. OmG! But my wife says no! Lol

Freshwater filter only or is it? Have you ever used an HOB filter on a saltwater tank?

• I currently use a HOB filter on my reef tank.

Votes: 56 24.7%
  • I don’t currently use a HOB filter on my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 59 26.0%
  • I have used a HOB on fish only or quarantine tanks, but not on the display tank.

Votes: 54 23.8%
  • I have never used a HOB on a saltwater tank.

Votes: 54 23.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 1.8%
Back