Let's talk about hose clamps!

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Joined
May 8, 2006
Messages
54,861
Reaction score
122,457
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Let's talk about hose clamps!

There are places in a reefing set up where you might use a hose clamps!

What type do you use and where are you using them?

1765815205912.png
 
Those plastic clicky ones!!!
The tank I just got had those metal type and they were a bit corroded.
I know they say they're stainless steel... but they're not aircraft quality stainless....
 
I use the plastic ones and stainless from the hardware store. I haven’t had issues with the stainless ones. But I had a plastic one slip off, which caused a geyser from the return pump under the fowlr tank. Luckily I was in the room and the gfci tripped it.
 
I think it would be a big benefit in many systems if titanium hose clamps were cheaper. I went with plastic for in water applications, but am not convinced they are as good as metal ones.

I use standard metal outside the water.
 
Funny topic... i just got a pair of these to mount my UV sterilizer - which has been sitting vicariously for the last 2 years.
Screenshot 2025-12-16 at 9.10.16 AM.png
 
I think it would be a big benefit in many systems if titanium hose clamps were cheaper. I went with plastic for in water applications, but am not convinced they are as good as metal ones.

I use standard metal outside the water.
Definitely get concerned about their gripping capability.
 
Thanks for the input. We don’t want rust but we also don’t want our return pump blowing weak points off!
 
Funny topic... i just got a pair of these to mount my UV sterilizer - which has been sitting vicariously for the last 2 years.
Screenshot 2025-12-16 at 9.10.16 AM.png

Did you ever install these and how do you feel about them?
 
Definitely get concerned about their gripping capability.

I’ve not had any issue in the past year for those in the water.
 
How about double wire clamps? I like them the most for flexible hoses.
 

Attachments

  • IMG_6701.jpeg
    IMG_6701.jpeg
    139.9 KB · Views: 19
I run titainium clamps on all returns now.
About a year+ ago I bumped my return in my 150 with the skimmer. Never even checked it. I was running no clamp. About a week later I woke up to 20g's on the floor and flowing. If I was not home it would have been a disaster
It wont happen again, lol.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 1 2.9%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 1 2.9%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 9 25.7%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 10 28.6%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 5 14.3%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 1 2.9%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 7 20.0%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 1 2.9%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new