Let's talk about the hanna meters....

HighlandReef

Chalice Monger
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Glad to see they were able to respond here on r2r
So with that being said looks like we still basically just follow the directions in the phos kit

sowellj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For the folks having issues with these, are you by chance dosing vitamin C ... or other things? I am not sure, but it looks like ascorbic acid (vitamin C) is used to reduce an inorganic acid to the blue colored product. So if Vitamin C were already present in the system that could throw things off. Also, vitamin C is readily oxidized by metals. Thus, metals present in the system could compete with inorganic acid for electrons and also throw things off a bit.

OP
OP
Troylee

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i do dose it very occasionally like once a month if i think about it... it's not part of my regular dosing shcedule... mb7/vodka, cal, alk, mag, iodine, amino acids, potassium, strotium are a every day thing thou....

sowellj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe Jessica will chime back in and let us know if they are using Vitamin C to reduce this inorganic acid.

sowellj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OK ... so I made up the phosphate standards at 1, 0.1, and 0.01 ppm and will mail these out to 4 individuals. Sorry this took a while, last week did not cooperate with getting this done.

Pizzapro83

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So what is the end result? Do you have to be a sciencetist to use this? So they said they did not make them correct but we are stuck with them. Wish I could run my business like that.

sowellj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OK, standards have gone out. Standards sent to ronnie, troylee, jcom, and oiseau reefer. I was only able to send about 45 mL of each standard. I realize that this isn't too much in that only 4 tests can be run, but greater volumes were going to get spendy to ship.

OP
OP
Troylee

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No problem... Will post results as soon as it shows up then get the rep back to explain if she has to...
Just had a local ask me where this thread went he tested zero again after not changing water or anything for all most 4 weeks...

darknessheir

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
so i didnt read through all 16 pages, but are you all talking about the small hanna checkers. also i have read that the phosphate doesnt read low enough, and that the phosphorus one should be used, and all that needs to be done is a simple mathmatical equation to get you the propper reading for phosphate. any ideas

OP
OP
Troylee

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got my samples.....
I didn't have time to test all 3 samples sowellj provided " Thank you btw." but I did test one before i had to run... Very interesting none the less...
First I did the test way it has been mentioned by people but not so much hanna.... First I tested with a single vial and used the 1.0 solution provided...
Then I used the other vial with a clean 1.0 solution to calibrate and used the second vial already activated from my first test, to see how it would differ by using a clean sample to calibrate and the other pre mixed so you didn't have to beat the toaster.....
Results as follows....
Tested with single vial according to everyones tips with the mark on the vial etc....
1.0 solution
ac8e8629.jpg

This was using both supplied vials one to calibrate and the other to test with...
5c55c53e.jpg

OP
OP
Troylee

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will get the other 2 samples in a little bit...
He provided me with
1.0ppm
.1ppm
.01 ppm
Can't wait to see the low end results....;)

OP
OP
Troylee

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ha!!!!!!! Agreed.... Now what?????? Lol
I Knew the .01 would register zero but I'm amazed on the .1 only off by .01 that's good news...

How much do you care about having a display FREE of wires, pumps and equipment?

• Want it squeaky clean! Wires be danged!

Votes: 81 44.8%
  • A few things are ok with me!

Votes: 83 45.9%
  • No care at all! Bring it on!

Votes: 17 9.4%
Back