Let's talk about the new apex

A_Blind_Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do find it quite odd (read intentional) that they put no waterproofing on the DOS units when they specifically designed them to be stacked. The top unit will eventually leak and destroy the unit below for some users.

I mean $30 in pumps and $15 in plastic leaves absolutely no room for a $1 gasket on a $300 unit lol
Yeah, only time I’ve ever been upset with them. They are meant to be stacked. They tried to say that’s why put the heads at an angle, so the tubing and any drips would go to the side. My leak was from inside the head so it just dripped straight down. Might not have been a big deal if it was a small amount like two part. It was my awc unit so it was quite a bit. I’ve since made my awc the bottom unit and put shelves under each unit. That was three years ago though, you can tell I’m over it…ha Eveything else has been awesome….minus the wav longevity.

DanTheReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do find it quite odd (read intentional) that they put no waterproofing on the DOS units when they specifically designed them to be stacked. The top unit will eventually leak and destroy the unit below for some users.

I mean $30 in pumps and $15 in plastic leaves absolutely no room for a $1 gasket on a $300 unit lol

I whole heartedly agree, Hydros marketing was taking indirect aim at them in the marketing - IP65 water/ dust rating. Believe Neptune products meet black box lighting standards

Kfactor

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
am not a huge fan of apex but my neptune apex jr has been solid i have had it for over 5 years i think . i just have it running my cx reactor now i just dont like how everything cost a arm and a leg to buy for the apex. also just like everthing else i think a year warrenty is a joke for how much you have to pay it just shows me how much they trust there stuff

rtparty

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I whole heartedly agree, Hydros marketing was taking indirect aim at them in the marketing - IP65 water/ dust rating. Believe Neptune products meet black box lighting standards

Hydros has good marketing and good intentions but I've had nothing but issues with their stuff. I'll take the non IP rated Neptune stuff over all of my Hydros so far.

But Neptune could learn a few things from Hydros IMO

Hydrored

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hope they release new DOS’s that are smaller form factor or come as a quad but still use the existing one link and with new power strips. I’ll probably pick them up on release because I’m a sucker….

Chrisv.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hope they release new DOS’s that are smaller form factor or come as a quad but still use the existing one link and with new power strips. I’ll probably pick them up on release because I’m a sucker….
I've always wondered why they make them so huge. Seems comically unnecessary.

Chrisv.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not as comically unnecessary as the noise they make! Ha One of the reasons I’m wondering if they’ll ditch them in favor of the versa.
I've never heard one running. As much as I like to grump about the Bertram/brs acquisitions, man it would be awesome if they just took the best aspects of all of these products and merged them.

areefer01

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hydros has good marketing and good intentions but I've had nothing but issues with their stuff. I'll take the non IP rated Neptune stuff over all of my Hydros so far.

But Neptune could learn a few things from Hydros IMO

I have the Hydros Le working within my Neptune ecosystem. It isn't bad but it isn't great. I agree 100% on the intent but it appears the little things are tripping them up. Sort of like finish work.

For example the good - Hydros le. I was running a pair of XF280 gyres and one went out on me. No longer made and the prices for singles didn't make sense. The Icecap 4k looked promising but doesn't connect to the 280's controller. So what to do. Picked up the Hydros le kit and it was up and running in little to no time. UI isn't the best took a bit of time to figure out but done.

The little things. Maxspect gyre controller can do short pulse down to .x second(s). Hydros not possible. Also can't do a standing wave like we could with the maxspect's controller. Also some pumps need to enable reverse on the pump for some unknown reason.

Build quality isn't bad. Connections seem a bit thing. But it is work in progress and was easy to get running in no time.

Reefer Matt

Officially Official Account
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Outside of redundant brains, not sure what else they can improve on. Better build quality? Yeah it would be nice to see. However, I've got 7 year old Neptune stuff and not a failure to date on any of it. I've had almost every single part from Hydros replaced in less than a year.

I'd love to see a $299 option but that's not happening IMO. They already had the BRS ELMO and it was a smashing success. Yet, they never released it a second time.

Maybe a Trident that can test PO4 and NO3? Then you pick your 3 you want tested?

Sleeker design overall? Would be nice but not essential.
Heads up, "ELMO" is back as Apex jr.! Checkout BRS.

herozero

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've never heard one running. As much as I like to grump about the Bertram/brs acquisitions, man it would be awesome if they just took the best aspects of all of these products and merged them.
Hoping for the best but expecting the worst.

Biased as hell FYI, went through a PE-type acquisition that was uncomfortable, and that's all I can say about that.

Hydrored

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So what exactly am I missing here? it’s the same apex head unit with an audible alarm and FMM ports? And the same power bar? I would have preferred to see a dual temp probe port.

Overall very lackluster, it doesn’t offer me any reason to upgrade. I was hoping to see a head unit that you can add cards to like GHL.

I run dual temp, dual PH, one Orp and salinity and don’t use FMM for anything, so I would still need add in modules

Last edited:

A_Blind_Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So what exactly am I missing here? it’s the same apex head unit with an audible alarm and FMM ports? And the same power bar? I would have preferred to see a dual temp probe port.

Overall very lackluster, it doesn’t offer me any reason to upgrade. I was hoping to see a head unit that you can add cards to like GHL.

I run dual temp, dual PH, one Orp and salinity and don’t use FMM for anything, so I would still need add in modules
But it’s darker grey color that doesn’t match any other Neptune gear, with a soft touch finish that feels amazing, and you get a hand signed thank you card with a hat and shirt! It’s extra

Chrisv.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
But it’s darker grey color that doesn’t match any other Neptune gear, with a soft touch finish that feels amazing, and you get a hand signed thank you card with a hat and shirt! It’s extra
The audacity of including a thank you card. I just can't even. Lol

Curious if there is any upgrade to the internals. Looks like it's time for me to buy a used apex a2...

A_Blind_Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The audacity of including a thank you card. I just can't even. Lol

Curious if there is any upgrade to the internals. Looks like it's time for me to buy a used apex a2...
….spray it with some hammertone paint and throw it on ebay for a grand as limited edition

areefer01

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Give me an Apex that controls my MPs and Radions,

Need to talk to Ecotech (yes, I know under same umbrella). The ball is in their court to make this work. Kessil and Sicci use IoTA and it works great.

tests nitrates and phos and I’m all over that.

I wonder....could be this was being worked on as mentioned as a possibility in a live stream a while back. On the other hand I can see why it would be scrapped.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 67 51.9%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 67 51.9%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 33 25.6%
  • None.

Votes: 29 22.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 7.0%
Back