Let's talk about the new apex

rtparty

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I'd actually bet that if they did make a Trident 2 that only worked with apex3 or apex2 with an expensive add on module, they would make MORE money because people would grumble a whole lot and then upgrade.

I'll assume Neptune has a good idea of what things they are working on and what is coming in the next 24-36 months for them. They obviously have the headroom with the current hardware to match anything coming.

AFAIK Neptune has never said, "we're close to running out of memory and/or processing power."

So it's very likely the A4 would be the new hardware and internals. That's likely 3-5 years off. Most in this thread won't even be in the hobby when that happens

migs

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll assume Neptune has a good idea of what things they are working on and what is coming in the next 24-36 months for them. They obviously have the headroom with the current hardware to match anything coming.

AFAIK Neptune has never said, "we're close to running out of memory and/or processing power."

So it's very likely the A4 would be the new hardware and internals. That's likely 3-5 years off. Most in this thread won't even be in the hobby when that happens
Well they DID do that with the A1 and the trident... A1 does not have the power to run it so need the A2... so just correcting that they have done that and quite recently.

rtparty

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Well they DID do that with the A1 and the trident... A1 does not have the power to run it so need the A2... so just correcting that they have done that and quite recently.

Recently?

The A2 came out in 2016. The Trident didn't come out for another 3 years. The chances the Trident was in any type of development at the same time as the A2 is basically zero.

The A1 is from 2009. Not a single company was serious about auto testing back then.

((FORDTECH))

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is such a hard choice. I have the apex classic - I guess the A1. I need a new head unit for the trident but 2016 was so long ago, I skipped the A2 and waited for the A3. Six years is a long time for technology. If Apex was to run the Apple model, the. The hardware HAS to be better - faster, more memory, more features. If the A3 is truly the same as the A2 but with a different port configuration, then I guess it is time to move on. Does any one recommend an alternative monitoring/control system?
Haha this is not a reason to move on from the best and most user friendly controller But hey it’s your choice good luck

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is such a hard choice. I have the apex classic - I guess the A1. I need a new head unit for the trident but 2016 was so long ago, I skipped the A2 and waited for the A3. Six years is a long time for technology. If Apex was to run the Apple model, the. The hardware HAS to be better - faster, more memory, more features. If the A3 is truly the same as the A2 but with a different port configuration, then I guess it is time to move on. Does any one recommend an alternative monitoring/control system?

I had the apex jr then apex lite then the 2016. I know how ya feel... I wanted something new and exciting and this wasn't it. I figured it had been 6 years so they would do more I guess :(

((FORDTECH))

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had the apex jr then apex lite then the 2016. I know how ya feel... I wanted something new and exciting and this wasn't it. I figured it had been 6 years so they would do more I guess :(
I don’t know about you but that new water level sensor sure seems pretty cool I have three optical sensors in every one of my sumps the middle one for water level the top one for water to high the bottom one for water to low alarms it would be nice to have one device measuring water level instead and tell me exactly what’s going on I’m pretty excited about that but the good thing is I do not need to buy the A3 just to use it ha ha

migs

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Recently?

The A2 came out in 2016. The Trident didn't come out for another 3 years. The chances the Trident was in any type of development at the same time as the A2 is basically zero.

The A1 is from 2009. Not a single company was serious about auto testing back then.
I was referring to the trident which is about 2 yrs old so in apex timelines, it is recent. These things happen as you said "not a single company was serious about auto tearing back then" but they are now. This stuff happens like with the trident... or maybe their version of the ion detector. I respect and applaud your die hard opinions but there are other view points. I would like to get back to the original question-is it confirmed that A3 and A2 have the same internals?

((FORDTECH))

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was referring to the trident which is about 2 yrs old so in apex timelines, it is recent. These things happen as you said "not a single company was serious about auto tearing back then" but they are now. This stuff happens like with the trident... or maybe their version of the ion detector. I respect and applaud your die hard opinions but there are other view points. I would like to get back to the original question-is it confirmed that A3 and A2 have the same internals?
You guys do realize that there’s likely slight differences that we will never know about right?

migs

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
But what is coming out or has come out that the A2 hardware can't do?

Is there some feature that Neptune has said, "Oh we have that technology but the current hardware can't support it so we won't release it?"

If upgrading to the A2 wasn't worth it, than the A3 isn't worth it either. Especially if the new sensors don't intrigue you.

I've never once had my Apex feel slow in some way. So I don't see where processor speed needs to be improved. WiFi chip I can see. Especially if it helps with mesh networks. So far wifi has been spot on for me. I prefer to hardwire but that means a 100ft run on my setup.
Actually, Wifi was a concern. I just upgraded to the Orbi 960 - it is a brute of a mesh network, but I realized some IoT devices had issues. I split the wifi signals into a simple 2.4 ghz to support legacy devices... this worked for most devices but some I had to trash and get new ones that support mesh networks or even 5 ghz.

Chrisv.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Actually, Wifi was a concern. I just upgraded to the Orbi 960 - it is a brute of a mesh network, but I realized some IoT devices had issues. I split the wifi signals into a simple 2.4 ghz to support legacy devices... this worked for most devices but some I had to trash and get new ones that support mesh networks or even 5 ghz.
I've had issues with my mesh network too. Very frustrating. Lots of excuses out there justifying lack of mesh support. Eyeroll.

rtparty

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
You guys do realize that there’s likely slight differences that we will never know about right?

Slight differences are expected. An entirely new wifi chip, more RAM, beefier processor, etc would likely have been talked about and promoted. Especially if the system worked better on mesh systems.

Hydros is absolutely a joke with mesh systems. It's actually bad with WiFi all together IME. If Neptune updated the wifi chip substantially, it would be a great marketing point. Instead, they made it a major point to talk about Ethernet still being included. Which is a MAJOR win in my book. Mission critical systems should not depend on WiFi.

rtparty

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

From what I'm told, it uses 2.4ghz wifi still. Which is the better band for this stuff. 5ghz is for speed. Not reliability or range.

Avoid Hydros with mesh. It hates it and you're usually stuck getting a 2.4ghz extender to hook into

Chrisv.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From what I'm told, it uses 2.4ghz wifi still. Which is the better band for this stuff. 5ghz is for speed. Not reliability or range.

Avoid Hydros with mesh. It hates it and you're usually stuck getting a 2.4ghz extender to hook into
Eh I would prefer a system that can leverage the power of multiband mesh. It's reliable enough for Google to use it for my Google branded smoke detectors...

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t know about you but that new water level sensor sure seems pretty cool I have three optical sensors in every one of my sumps the middle one for water level the top one for water to high the bottom one for water to low alarms it would be nice to have one device measuring water level instead and tell me exactly what’s going on I’m pretty excited about that but the good thing is I do not need to buy the A3 just to use it ha ha

It isn't anything new though. It was something that already existed but applied to the apex. They just took a product that already existed and added it to the apex. Obviously they had to change some stuff to make it work on apex but and is nice but that is not like.. ahh it's been 6 years, lets drop a bombshell on em!

1659813309800.png

Don't get me wrong, I do like the stuff they added. I just expected more for the next Apex after 6 years is all.

The nice part is ya... I don't need to buy a new apex because it's not a new cool modern robust Apex and I can just get some modules. :p

Last edited:

areefer01

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It isn't anything new though. It was something that already existed.

Yes, eTape existed but is any controller, over the counter (Hydros, GHL, and Neptune) offering an integrated solution that isn't DIY? And by integrate I mean that the hobbyist can do actions with to include alarms? To the best of my knowledge the answer is no.

I don't understand my fellow hobbyist hang up with the word innovation or rebranding. Someone at Neptune saw this or something and then got to thinking. Now there is an affordable and clean solution that integrates with their system rather nicely. And it is affordable with a warranty.

DIY is not for everyone. For those who can great. /flexon

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, eTape existed but is any controller, over the counter (Hydros, GHL, and Neptune) offering an integrated solution that isn't DIY? And by integrate I mean that the hobbyist can do actions with to include alarms? To the best of my knowledge the answer is no.

I don't understand my fellow hobbyist hang up with the word innovation or rebranding. Someone at Neptune saw this or something and then got to thinking. Now there is an affordable and clean solution that integrates with their system rather nicely. And it is affordable with a warranty.

DIY is not for everyone. For those who can great. /flexon

I don't think you understand what I am saying. It has been 6 years and the new head unit is not very exciting.

I wanted something to upgrade to. They said themselves there no reason do buy this if you have the 2016 one. After 6 years I wanted a new innovative apex system.

They could add etape with a module and such any time with a module.

areefer01

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't think you understand what I am saying. It has been 6 years and the new head unit is not very exciting.

I do. You are looking for a new head unit but you mixed in a image of the eTape. I understand your comment about the head unit or brain. I do. It very well could be that there isn't really anything to add to it that can't already be done with the existing base. So they took the opportunity to add in a FMM module while also offering a lower end or slim version.

They are aware that repacking an existing component in a different form factor wouldn't make sense and offend the hobbyist. Instead they did what made sense and functional with a couple new products. What else is coming we don't know yet but whatever they are can be integrated with what we have. I am cool with that.

It seems within our conversation I focused on the eTape whereas you are talking about the head unit and wanted something different or more. I personally feel these new models give options to first time buyers.

Just my take.

Lbrdsoxfan

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It isn't anything new though. It was something that already existed but applied to the apex. They just took a product that already existed and added it to the apex. Obviously they had to change some stuff to make it work on apex but and is nice but that is not like.. ahh it's been 6 years, lets drop a bombshell on em!

1659813309800.png

Don't get me wrong, I do like the stuff they added. I just expected more for the next Apex after 6 years is all.

The nice part is ya... I don't need to buy a new apex because it's not a new cool modern robust Apex and I can just get some modules. :p

I'm in total ageeement with you, I frankly expected more innovation & out the box iota integration (side eyes ecotech & AI). I think the A3 is a knee jerk reaction to Hydros possibly creeping into Neptune's market share as a viable alternative but that's just me. It's the new shiny thing.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 135 88.2%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.9%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 6 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.0%
Back