Let's talk about the new apex

Jbell370

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not unless it includes a thank you card.
I can’t complain, I hated it at first from my Reef Keeper, but have grown to like it and satisfies the geek in me. I can say I always am able to connect to my Apex, can’t say that for Mobius :(

Chrisv.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can’t complain, I hated it at first from my Reef Keeper, but have grown to like it and satisfies the geek in me. I can say I always am able to connect to my Apex, can’t say that for Mobius :(
I love my classic apex. I was just hoping for a more substantial revision. I had the old RK2 as well. I've been looking for a new controller and waiting for a new revision. I'm eager to see what the internal upgrades are. Hopefully it's more than just...this.

A_Blind_Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love my classic apex. I was just hoping for a more substantial revision. I had the old RK2 as well. I've been looking for a new controller and waiting for a new revision. I'm eager to see what the internal upgrades are. Hopefully it's more than just...this.
They use a darker green printed circuit board with a soft touch finish…. And there’s another thank you card hidden inside. Bonus

BroccoliFarmer

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm still running first release first gen apex (now called classic) and I really trust the gear. I've had it for more than a decade. And the display is the only thing that's failed me.

I've been looking to upgrade and of course, if you look for horror stories you will find them. I keep hearing about eb832 failures due to the bum 12v power converter module. The idea of a bad eb832 does concern me. My control strategy/philosophy has always been centered on isolating risk. I love the idea of a smart pump that integrates with a controller, but I love the reliability of an ac pump directly plugged into the wall even more. I like controlling equipment that has it's own onboard controller and using one or the other as a failsafe.

I know it's all just rumors and conjecture at this point, but it would be exciting for a new version to be released. It's a bit odd to me to see so many people take the "what could they possibly do better" position on technology development. I ,for one, am excited to see what they come up with that is better.
I have two dead eb832s because of this issue. I went out and bought the classic 8 power strip and it is working good for 6 months

rtparty

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I have two dead eb832s because of this issue. I went out and bought the classic 8 power strip and it is working good for 6 months

Send them to be fixed. Can't remember the guy on here that does it but it's cheap. Neptune has replaced the bum part with an upgraded part.

I pray my new 832 is rock solid like my EB8

Chrisv.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd be shocked if they weren't developing this as either a Trident V2 or an add-on module.
Agreed. But assuming whatever they are cooking up on that front is backed compatible with the a2...not much of a reason to get an a3.

((FORDTECH))

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agreed. But assuming whatever they are cooking up on that front is backed compatible with the a2...not much of a reason to get an a3.
Not much of a reason till Neptune comes out with the trident v2 or the nitrate phosphate tester and only the A3 can run it just like they did with V1 trident

rtparty

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Ryan and Paul both said do NOT upgrade from the A2 to the A3. It isn't worth it. I mean, they couldn't have been more clear on that front.

They also clearly said all new sensors and add ons WILL be backward compatible. There is not a chance they make a NO3/PO4 tester and have it locked to A3.

All they really have to do is come up with new reagents (not easy and maybe not possible even) and let us pick which 3 we want....assuming the photometer used can work for everything.

DHill6

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hydros has good marketing and good intentions but I've had nothing but issues with their stuff. I'll take the non IP rated Neptune stuff over all of my Hydros so far.

But Neptune could learn a few things from Hydros IMO
I bet there are many who haven’t had the Hydros problems. I’ve owned both systems.

Chrisv.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ryan and Paul both said do NOT upgrade from the A2 to the A3. It isn't worth it. I mean, they couldn't have been more clear on that front.

They also clearly said all new sensors and add ons WILL be backward compatible. There is not a chance they make a NO3/PO4 tester and have it locked to A3.

All they really have to do is come up with new reagents (not easy and maybe not possible even) and let us pick which 3 we want....assuming the photometer used can work for everything.
I'm faced with the question of used (or discounted ) a2 or a3. I know they said they would not lock out new hardware and that it would all be backwards compatible, but I will continue to be skeptical until it's released. With so few changes between a2 and a3;the motivation to go a3 is very small...at least from what I can see now.

As for Trident 2.0, well, I hope they don't limit it to measuring three things. I think you're right, all the internals should be there...in the v1.

Reefer Matt

Officially Official Account
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Give me an Apex that controls my MPs and Radions, tests nitrates and phos and I’m all over that.
Actually, all that is coming soon. Gotta watch the vids.

Reefer Matt

Officially Official Account
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There's literally nothing in the new Apex that you can't do with the A2 version.
Yes, that's what Ryan from BRS said too. The new line is for those that don't have a controller yet. The new accessories will work on the A2 Apex.

Chrisv.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Actually, all that is coming soon. Gotta watch the vids.
Made it through one of the videos..mostly...I just don't have time for a full social media rollout circus.

I guess I will wait and see what people's who buy it today have to say next week.

However, people are so fiercely defensive of how they spend money that I assume anyone who bought it will let us know that it is amazing.

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 31 17.5%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 30 16.9%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 32 18.1%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 76 42.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.5%
Back