Let's talk about the new apex

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do. You are looking for a new head unit but you mixed in a image of the eTape. I understand your comment about the head unit or brain. I do. It very well could be that there isn't really anything to add to it that can't already be done with the existing base. So they took the opportunity to add in a FMM module while also offering a lower end or slim version.

They are aware that repacking an existing component in a different form factor wouldn't make sense and offend the hobbyist. Instead they did what made sense and functional with a couple new products. What else is coming we don't know yet but whatever they are can be integrated with what we have. I am cool with that.

It seems within our conversation I focused on the eTape whereas you are talking about the head unit and wanted something different or more. I personally feel these new models give options to first time buyers.

Just my take.

My point with the e-tape was that it was just rebranding of and its been 6 years so I wanted something that looked like it took some time and thought put into it. I was responding to someone about how it was nice addition but still.. not really what is expected after such a long time.

I wanted something more modern and form fitting... the DOS and so on are huge... ya I wanted a new better looking system, maybe water resistant, idk... then these plastic tonka toys in 2022 :p

Obviously they were not trying to get people to upgrade though so it wasn't done.

areefer01

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My point with the e-tape was that it was just rebranding of and its been 6 years so I wanted something that looked like it took some time and thought put into it. I was responding to someone about how it was nice addition but still.. not really what is expected after such a long time.

I wanted something more modern and form fitting... the DOS and so on are huge... ya I wanted a new better looking system, maybe water resistant, idk... then these plastic tonka toys in 2022 :p

Obviously they were not trying to get people to upgrade though so it wasn't done.

So I'll ask you again which controller over the counter is offering the eTape? No one. Rebranding isn't a thing in this case. It is a product that is offered that many companies use. Neptune saw an opportunity and made it work. Kudo's to them. It works extremely well.

I can't help with regards to modern look and feel. Mine is in the cabinet. Out of site out of mind so looks don't phase me but I can understand how some put value in aesthetics.

We have gone a bit in a circle it would seem. I believe I understand your point but I don't see many new products from the other over the counter controllers and their design as it relates to esthetics hasn't changed much if at all.

Edit: I should note to me it isn't about which is better. They are all just tools for hobbyist to use. We all have different needs and use cases. I stay out of which is better but rather see it as a tool is all. A lot of the infighting (not in our case here you and I) is odd to me in hobbies be it reef tanks or sewing (yes, they get a bit out of hand).

Last edited:

gbru316

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ARE the processor and internals (chip, ram, wifi) updated from the A2 to the A3?

I’ll preface this by stating I’m very much into computers and I’m an electrical engineer by trade. So internal hardware is something that’s right up my alley.

Maybe I'm in the minority here, but I don’t care if the internals have been upgraded or not. The processes and operation we require are not extreme. They're certainly not pushing any limits. And I just do not see a need to push processing capability.

What we require is stability and reliability. Upgrading internals comes with a risk to both of those things. And for what? What indication is there that the Apex A2 is running short on either memory or processing? After all, there’s a reason that high reliability hardware typically doesn’t push the limits of technology. When reliability counts, you use what's been proven to work. It's why major military programs of record use 20 year old technology. Because the systems just need to work, no matter what.

After all, this is a life support device we’re talking about. Not a gaming PC. Crashes/faults can equal death.

That said, I'd really like an API or data export feature so I can easily pull data (without having to run a TIG stack on a local linux box) to save in my own database for historical purposes. But that shouldn't require a hardware update.

Last edited:

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I'll ask you again which controller over the counter is offering the eTape? No one. Rebranding isn't a thing in this case. It is a product that is offered that many companies use. Neptune saw an opportunity and made it work. Kudo's to them. It works extremely well.

I can't help with regards to modern look and feel. Mine is in the cabinet. Out of site out of mind so looks don't phase me but I can understand how some put value in aesthetics.

We have gone a bit in a circle it would seem. I believe I understand your point but I don't see many new products from the other over the counter controllers and their design as it relates to esthetics hasn't changed much if at all.

Edit: I should note to me it isn't about which is better. They are all just tools for hobbyist to use. We all have different needs and use cases. I stay out of which is better but rather see it as a tool is all. A lot of the infighting (not in our case here you and I) is odd to me in hobbies be it reef tanks or sewing (yes, they get a bit out of hand).

ya that is fine but it's not exciting and they could have added e-tape whenever. They didn't need a new apex to add it. The new apex unit is just simply adding some things and not including some others. Boring.

areefer01

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ya that is fine but it's not exciting and they could have added e-tape whenever. They didn't need a new apex to add it. The new apex unit is just simply adding some things and not including some others. Boring.

Ok so another side of it is that you are saying the release or timing of the e-tape and new head units? If so that could just be coincidence since it works with the current FFM module.

Never the less thanks for replying as I was trying to get an understanding of your view. Hope your evening is going well!

rtparty

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
What controller is "modern" and "good looking?" Hydros? Lol...GHL? If you like boxes sitting on a shelf

I just don't see the Apex as ugly nor do I care about the look overall. It's in a cabinet hidden away like any good tech. Technology should just be around us and work in the background. Not be the centerpiece to our aquariums.

I say all of this as someone who just spent close to 40 hours trying to make my wires, power cables, dosing lines, etc as clean as I could. It's not perfect and I eventually just had to start plugging stuff back in to get the tank running at midnight.

20220806_142718.jpg
20220806_142724.jpg

areefer01

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What controller is "modern" and "good looking?" Hydros? Lol...GHL? If you like boxes sitting on a shelf

I just don't see the Apex as ugly nor do I care about the look overall. It's in a cabinet hidden away like any good tech. Technology should just be around us and work in the background. Not be the centerpiece to our aquariums.

I say all of this as someone who just spent close to 40 hours trying to make my wires, power cables, dosing lines, etc as clean as I could. It's not perfect and I eventually just had to start plugging stuff back in to get the tank running at midnight.

20220806_142718.jpg
20220806_142724.jpg

Good cable management is a good test of patience :) Good job btw.

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The black orginal Apex to me looked better then the 2016. I think it has unnecessary plastic bulk and ugly color scheme but that is my opinion.

I would have like to see something more water resistant as well. Not that mine is next to water but I just think it is a nice touch to something around aquariums and sumps.

In your photo you have the black EB8/EB4 which are a lot less bulky then a EB32.

Basically they came out with some new stuff (always nice as long as it works) but didn't come out for an Apex for current users and more to grab people who don't have one.

I am a current user so would have liked to see something nicer then the 2016. Simple.

Fishyfish22

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
7   0   0
Yeah, hence why I am disappointed :)
It's always the mentality a person has when something is released that doesn't cater to then lol. Its not wrong, it makes sense that everyone wants something new under the Christmas tree, but it's nice to look forward and see what they have included. People that ran softy tanks probably weren't the most excited when the trident came out. For the rest of reefkeepers, it was groundbreaking. A2 owners don't care about the A3, it's meant for people looking to get a controller that don't have one currently. As another user said, it's meant to widen the market.

Personally, I'm excited for the liquid level sensor. Yeah it existed before, but it was never integrated into a controller nor did it have the option to be (except maybe reef-pi). Kind of how every phone wanted the integration of USB-C. Android didn't create it, but it was nice when android phones started implementing it. I don't think the right term should be rebranding though, if it was something that took modifying and adapting to use. That's more of integration.

But then again what do i know, stuff changes all the time. Wait 4-6 years, we'll be looking at yet another head unit which A2 users will probably be upgrading from

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.3%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 43 35.5%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 37 30.6%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 30 24.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.8%
Back